• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Is it just me, or do you guys ever see this too? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
286¢
So, you're going along, and you see somebody else obviously using macros of some type. They're doing whatever they are doing in a very obvious way, and they're completely AFK. You know a way they could accomplish the same goal - and do it in a way that would make them FAR less noticeable, but you have no way to communicate it to them because A) they are AFK and B) it isn't like you can just send a tell saying 'hey, I know you're botting because I do it too, here's some tips to hide it a little better'. Is it just me that thinks 'Dang, if I only could talk to them, I could help them achieve the same goal but do a much better job of hiding it'?

You mean you're not one of those people that joins general and starts calling out other cheaters publicly? You actually want to... do good?
Have some redcents, my man.

I ran into some corpses in The Grounds the other night, and realized they were pretty fresh as I just went through that area like 10 minutes prior. I threw out a mass rez with my cleric and up popped three characters instantly. My bags were full of gear that I didn't need so I sent a tell asking if they wanted any of the gear and got nothing in response. I started a trade with a full window of gear for their warrior and hit submit and it auto accepted. I then just kept spamming gear into the character and he kept accepting it automatically. I sent him a tell on all characters and let him know that I popped him a rez and gave him some gear but that I knew he was afk so to hit me up if he needed anything else later.

If I was in his position and was caught afk like that I would shit myself to come back to a bunch of tells.

I run into groups all the time that are obvious AFK and have reached out before but never get responses. I would never broadcast it to the server, it can be our secret as it doesn't bother me but its nice to know how many like minded inviduals exist on the servers.

I ran into some corpses in The Grounds the other night, and realized they were pretty fresh as I just went through that area like 10 minutes prior. I threw out a mass rez with my cleric and up popped three characters instantly. My bags were full of gear that I didn't need so I sent a tell asking if they wanted any of the gear and got nothing in response. I started a trade with a full window of gear for their warrior and hit submit and it auto accepted. I then just kept spamming gear into the character and he kept accepting it automatically. I sent him a tell on all characters and let him know that I popped him a rez and gave him some gear but that I knew he was afk so to hit me up if he needed anything else later.

If I was in his position and was caught afk like that I would shit myself to come back to a bunch of tells.

I run into groups all the time that are obvious AFK and have reached out before but never get responses. I would never broadcast it to the server, it can be our secret as it doesn't bother me but its nice to know how many like minded inviduals exist on the servers.
I’ll sometimes hit random people with TL boxes to see if they auto accept it... hah so far I’ve never seen someone have it setup to do that.

for the record, it’s best practice to NOT have your toons setup to accept literally any trade box or accept any TL.

For a long time I thought people were being rude and ignoring me and not replying to my tells, then after a while I was like oh....

I used to play Aion which had racial PvP, I remember stalking the enemy newbie zone and having a mad rush of adrenaline as I slayed this newb farming away at the starting zone. Then I saw him come right back out of the city and start farming again, WHAT LUCK I thought, assuming this guy was a dumb ass, it wasn't until 3rd or 4th time killing him that I realized he was a bot farming gold. I farmed him for a bit until his high level owner came into zone, I'm pretty sure warped onto me and destroyed me in a couple of hits, was fun while it lasted.

Exactly what I thought too. That people were just stuck up cause they were usually higher level than I. Now I understand what is going on.

But what's really funny is when they did respond it would be about 30 minutes later or even way later that day with "oh sorry didn't see your tell in all the battle spam" Or "did you need a drop? you can have anyone you need"

It's like they don't want to get reported and are trying to prove they were really engaged. They need to learn about time stamps in chat. I mean come on, 8 hours later you send me a tell saying "oh hey, you want something?"

Not going to report anyone anyway. This game is big enough for the 2 or 2000 of us.

I have my favorite camp picked out with a named. There is always a group there farming stuff. All I do is /say hey just logging my guys in. In about a min the farmers all gate lol. I can only assume they are afk and have something setup to bail on a tell. I dont mind Akers but don't do it on a named or a spot people need.

But what's really funny is when they did respond it would be about 30 minutes later or even way later that day with "oh sorry didn't see your tell in all the battle spam" Or "did you need a drop? you can have anyone you need"

It's like they don't want to get reported and are trying to prove they were really engaged. They need to learn about time stamps in chat. I mean come on, 8 hours later you send me a tell saying "oh hey, you want something?"

I've actually had that several times. "Oh sorry my UI was messed up the tells window was behind all the other windows" or "sorry I never saw your tell on this character" (but I sent a tell to the char that is pulling, lol...)
So now I see botters farming a named or mobs I need, I just go in and take what I have to and then get back out of there and let them have their AFK time of their lives.

Exactly what I thought too. That people were just stuck up cause they were usually higher level than I. Now I understand what is going on.

Not going to report anyone anyway. This game is big enough for the 2 or 2000 of us.

I have never seen the settings for time stamps, how do I turn this on lol?!

So, you're going along, and you see somebody else obviously using macros of some type. They're doing whatever they are doing in a very obvious way, and they're completely AFK. You know a way they could accomplish the same goal - and do it in a way that would make them FAR less noticeable, but you have no way to communicate it to them because A) they are AFK and B) it isn't like you can just send a tell saying 'hey, I know you're botting because I do it too, here's some tips to hide it a little better'. Is it just me that thinks 'Dang, if I only could talk to them, I could help them achieve the same goal but do a much better job of hiding it'?

And then there's the time where they get back to the keyboard after you've both been in the zone for a bit and you chat. You both know what you're doing but are at least decent enough not to bullshit each other. You kinda wanna say: "You know, if you're gonna do that you should probably use mq2discord, or mq2posse, or something...."

Is there a way to have the new chat windows that pop up when somebody /tell's you also have timestamps? I've had them on for a long time on the main chat, but no matter what every new tell window seems to default to them being off.

Is there a way to have the new chat windows that pop up when somebody /tell's you also have timestamps? I've had them on for a long time on the main chat, but no matter what every new tell window seems to default to them being off.

i have this same issue. I haven’t found a solution.

Sometimes I am watching a bot group slowly wipe, so I step in and either help heal or tank/clear the mobs so they can recover...

I never send a tell, and they never say anything... So either they never knew how close they were to a complete wipe or were embarrassed and just accepted the help

Other times I wait for them to wipe, and see they don't campfire return and then just take the camp... Sometimes easier then begging an afk player for a camp/named for a quest or hunter. Or I just pull mobs before they aggro if i am confident they are afk.

Better then reporting and drawing unneeded attention like some people do

I have the opposite happen. I am never afk from camping but I have stayed at the same camp for days play for a few hours. Log off and back in same camp. I find it relaxing. People will think I am afk and check corpses or just try to come pull your mobs. I am older and could care less so I will send em a tell or ooc. Are you lost? They are like oh am sorry....didn't know you were there ...ok man ok haha. I am a old fart and anti social but I will answer tells or say of course even though I hate chatting. My hud says how many in zone so I go to one that is always close to empty or empty and camp. Everytime somebody zones in a say to myself ...fucking go away......or go to the other side of the zone and leave me alone. If they get too close I will move camps.....doesn't mean I am afk..people need to realize that also. I know I am weird and the exception to the rule but it happens.

Your right, not every is afk that is silent... Or antisocial.

I am antisocial, I generally say nothing in /gu unless I am looking for a raid invite lol

But the people who are obviously afk are wiping and the behaviour is just obvious there is nothing special going on, it's all macros... Or don't respond.

Part of the antisocial aspect is that when I do afk stuff, people don't expect me to be talking... But I have discord setup and I remote desktop into my pc from my phone.... So if anyone dies I can remote in almost immediately to either help/fix, or just call it a day and camp out. I accept the risk of afk play, and never do it in open/current zones. If I get banned, well it's likely good bye eq and mq2, for now it is what has kept me interested and able to keep up without sinking time away from my son... Sadly I still get distracted from studying...counting down the days

One way is to uncheck the box "use tell windows" in the options, create a new chat window, put it where you'd like your tell window to be, filter only tells into it, and lock it.

Last edited:
Sometimes I am watching a bot group slowly wipe, so I step in and either help heal or tank/clear the mobs so they can recover...

I never send a tell, and they never say anything... So either they never knew how close they were to a complete wipe or were embarrassed and just accepted the help

Other times I wait for them to wipe, and see they don't campfire return and then just take the camp... Sometimes easier then begging an afk player for a camp/named for a quest or hunter. Or I just pull mobs before they aggro if i am confident they are afk.

Better then reporting and drawing unneeded attention like some people do
Stupid question. What is the campfire? Must be a new thing since I have been away.

I use to /afk i'm not answering this toon atm please send tell to Name. Do you happen to have fireworks? On 2 of my toons. Everyone thought i was a bot till i linked a video to my guild face book from a video i posted on youtube. Some one tryed to change the password on 2 of my accounts. Photo007.jpg

What is that picture supposed to be of? It's so out of focus (and context) that I don't get it.

Discussion - Is it just me, or do you guys ever see this too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back