• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - "I wanna go back And do it all over again" (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,616¢
Hi guys

As the song said (think Eddie Money, remember?) Coming back after a 3 year hiatus. Been playing FFXIV, made it all the way through the story, and I have to say that everything everyone said about how good it was, was right. I consider it a must play. But alas, just like every other MMO I have played in the last 25 years, it gets to the point where it becomes a grind, and then I get bored with it. This is the game that got me hooked. Back in 1999, jesus am I old. So I just re subscribed to RG again and got started...reading lol. Man things have changed a lot in the last 3 years. And that reading has generated a few questions. One of the biggest changes I have read about was DBG's newesh condemnation of Multi boxing. Even though we always knew that it was illegal (per se) according to their legal beagles, it was allowed with a lot of winks. They didn't care as long as they were making money off it. It just doesn't make much sense to me, with DBG's drop in revenues and Live server populations. There is absolutely no correlation between TLP and live so why the change in attitude towards boxing? But let's face it, DBG has never been too smart, have they? So my first question is about the state of the game.

1. I want to box 6 characters. I look at all the suspensions and bans on this forum and I can't help but wonder if I am making a bad choice. Especially since I rolled up 6 new toons on the FV server. More people, more chances of getting banned. Just looking for an informed opinion here. And yes they are all on FTP accounts so "who cares, right". Wrong server?

Another thing I noticed was the introduction of MQNext (wtg Dev guys). From what I have read so far, it looks like a big improvement over MQ2. I was kinda confused about it until I seen where Sic compared it to upgrading Win7 to Win 10 (good comparison Sic). I can relate to that. But after installing the Launcher 2 weeks ago and going through all the videos about Next I am wondering whether I am doing things right or not.

2. If I have recently installed RG Launcher am I already using Next? Do I still need to migrate (even if I have no previous configurations?) Is there a "tell" that shows if you are using it or not? I looked all over the Launcher for one but the only thing I saw was "MacroQuest - Live" selection in the dropdown menu.

Now to my big conundrum. I used Kissassist before and got quite comfortable with it after all you guys helped me configure it. It was great finally getting it setup to run a whole group with very little input from me. But more reading here has raised a new questions. There is a lot of choices out there now, too many to be truthful. You guys have been busy. KA, Muleassist, Ihc, RGMercs, X-Gen. I was almost sold on Muleassist until I read about how it wasn't updated to support MQNext yet (until I read about Maui anyways). I really like the GUI concept, makes life so much easier, and I am into easier. I am starting over on the FV server so I would like to use something that grows with my team as they level and not have to switch to another system in later levels.

3. Looking for some opinions here, I am really leaning towards X-Gen at the moment, but I just don't know. Is there a KA 2.0 yet? And will it have a GUI?

Ok enough for now. Just looking for some guidance here so any opinions or recommendations are greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance for them.

Solution

mhwicks

Thanks for the reminder. I am an old conservative guy. I like the "slow and steady" approach to life these days. Not letting my toons play by themselves is the unspoken rule here I thought. I believe in that concept. Just so everyone knows who I am lol, not that matters much.

My new group is War,Clr,Shm,Enc,Wiz,Rng (cause I lkie Rng lol). Kinda traditional I know but it gets me off to a good start.
Hi guys

As the song said (think Eddie Money, remember?) Coming back after a 3 year hiatus. Been playing FFXIV, made it all the way through the story, and I have to say that everything everyone said about how good it was, was right. I consider it a must play. But alas, just like every other MMO I have played in the last 25 years, it gets to the point where it becomes a grind, and then I get bored with it. This is the game that got me hooked. Back in 1999, jesus am I old. So I just re subscribed to RG again and got started...reading lol. Man things have changed a lot in the last 3 years. And that reading has generated a few questions. One of the biggest changes I have read about was DBG's newesh condemnation of Multi boxing. Even though we always knew that it was illegal (per se) according to their legal beagles, it was allowed with a lot of winks. They didn't care as long as they were making money off it. It just doesn't make much sense to me, with DBG's drop in revenues and Live server populations. There is absolutely no correlation between TLP and live so why the change in attitude towards boxing? But let's face it, DBG has never been too smart, have they? So my first question is about the state of the game.

1. I want to box 6 characters. I look at all the suspensions and bans on this forum and I can't help but wonder if I am making a bad choice. Especially since I rolled up 6 new toons on the FV server. More people, more chances of getting banned. Just looking for an informed opinion here. And yes they are all on FTP accounts so "who cares, right". Wrong server?

Another thing I noticed was the introduction of MQNext (wtg Dev guys). From what I have read so far, it looks like a big improvement over MQ2. I was kinda confused about it until I seen where Sic compared it to upgrading Win7 to Win 10 (good comparison Sic). I can relate to that. But after installing the Launcher 2 weeks ago and going through all the videos about Next I am wondering whether I am doing things right or not.

2. If I have recently installed RG Launcher am I already using Next? Do I still need to migrate (even if I have no previous configurations?) Is there a "tell" that shows if you are using it or not? I looked all over the Launcher for one but the only thing I saw was "MacroQuest - Live" selection in the dropdown menu.

Now to my big conundrum. I used Kissassist before and got quite comfortable with it after all you guys helped me configure it. It was great finally getting it setup to run a whole group with very little input from me. But more reading here has raised a new questions. There is a lot of choices out there now, too many to be truthful. You guys have been busy. KA, Muleassist, Ihc, RGMercs, X-Gen. I was almost sold on Muleassist until I read about how it wasn't updated to support MQNext yet (until I read about Maui anyways). I really like the GUI concept, makes life so much easier, and I am into easier. I am starting over on the FV server so I would like to use something that grows with my team as they level and not have to switch to another system in later levels.

3. Looking for some opinions here, I am really leaning towards X-Gen at the moment, but I just don't know. Is there a KA 2.0 yet? And will it have a GUI?

Ok enough for now. Just looking for some guidance here so any opinions or recommendations are greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance for them.
welcome back! they/you/we always come back

1. that is a determination you have to make for yourself - if this thread gets derailed into a baspention conversation i'm going to move or merge it to fippys. the place for that conversation is in that thread. Devs have put a lot of updates/efforts into it, but no one can make that choice for you if it is "worth it". Many of us continue to play, a large portion have never been suspended or banned either. ymmv
2. MQ is MacroQuest is "Next"

>>> you can check out the 'official release party' here <<<

There are a couple of small, yet important changes with MacroQuest vs the old MQ2 as explained > HERE <

Moving to MacroQuest mental notes:
1. mq2map click is Control+Shift+Click
2. new easyfind self travel is Control+Click (reminder in find window title bar)
3. new easyfind group travel is Control+Shift+Click
4. If you selected a destination in your zone guide and want to activate it you /travelto activate
5. /yes and /no are now aliases
6. your ini configuration files (like for kissassist) now reside in your "Config" folder and not your "Macro" folder
7. if you want the functionality of the MQ2 "MQ2TargetInfo" - They are now in 3 separate plugins: /plugin groupinfo /plugin targetinfo /plugin xtarinfo

3. KA is on version 12.0+, xgen, rgmercs , muleassist, entropy etc - there are lots of great options try em all and see what fits your needs the best

muleassist works just fine on MQ, you're misinformed. you might also be confused thinking that mq2mule = muleassist, which is not the case, and there is > MAUI < to replace mq2mule.

For your benefit, read these two things below. DBG has been very clear in recent times. any wink/nod perceived, implied, or directly stated in the past has no real relevance or weight and the inequitable application of those rules does not imply consent either.

Unfortunately, MacroQuest of any flavor is against > DBG's Terms of Service <

DBG's stance on 3rd party apps > here < 3rd party apps include things like MacroQuest and MySEQ

as mentioned, the baspending stuff should be in the mega thread > here <. It is pretty long as you can see, but that's the place for the discussion on that.

EQ has been a little lacking on content, but i'm still enjoying the game as a whole and look forward to years more of it

Welcome back!!!!!

I box 6, you just have to be careful. I usually am at my desktop when boxing and move if anyone is close or says anything.

mage
monk
bard
shaman
ranger
shadow Knight

This is a new setup for me, I had a cleric in the mix. I am trying to get my SHD up to snuff so I don't need the cleric.

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

Sic

1. Sorry about putting that question in the wrong place, I will be more careful in the future.
2. So I will take that as a "yes" then. thanks
3. Lol that make you a few days to go through all of them and set them up. It would take me weeks to do the same. Was just looking for an opinion here.
4.I thought MQ2Mule was a person and Muleassist was his macro. Duh on my part.

WB! and I came back about 3 years ago after a multi year break.. This site, Tools (and mostly the people) make the game so much more fun.

The team here has been super busy putting out new and upgraded products. XGEN does have a GUI, if thats your leading factor. Play around, watch the vids, read up on stuff, and ask questions.

WB again.

Sic

1. Sorry about putting that question in the wrong place, I will be more careful in the future.
2. So I will take that as a "yes" then. thanks
3. Lol that make you a few days to go through all of them and set them up. It would take me weeks to do the same. Was just looking for an opinion here.
4.I thought MQ2Mule was a person and Muleassist was his macro. Duh on my part.
1. you didn't do anything grievously wrong - a lot of folks come strolling through and want to either ask for or give a hot take, and it just turns into 50 threads of the same cross-talking chaos and opinions. no harm no foul friendo
2. :p
3. xgen or rgmercs if you don't want to have to make a lot of choices and just want to "do stuff" out of the box, just kiss or mule if you want to tinker / library ini, check out entropy if you want to put in some effort and get some big results
4. eqmule was a person, he forked kissassist into muleassist at ka 10.0, and then made the mq2mule plugin. @Lemons has been doing muleassist (the macro) for a while now, and @aquietone made/maintains MAUI (the muleassist user interface, m.a.u.i.)

mhwicks

Thanks for the reminder. I am an old conservative guy. I like the "slow and steady" approach to life these days. Not letting my toons play by themselves is the unspoken rule here I thought. I believe in that concept. Just so everyone knows who I am lol, not that matters much.

My new group is War,Clr,Shm,Enc,Wiz,Rng (cause I lkie Rng lol). Kinda traditional I know but it gets me off to a good start.

Solution

mhwicks

attended / at-key play is definitely the way to go imo.

your group is sturdy AF - you shouldn't have much trouble with anything. I personally dont do the double healer thing these days, and wizzies are not in the best shape for current game --- but the MOST important thing is a: having fun and then b: meeting your goals --- those may change/adjust over time, but since you have the holy trinity covered, you're off to a great start

Druids are amazing DPS in current game. They just suffer from mana issues. Wiz have been bad for a few years, maybe in a decade or so they will fix them.

I wouldnt roll with 2 healers (clr/shm), but clerics are deff the way to go until 101. once you get a shaman in modern game they are damn good.

As Sic said, play what you like, and what works for your play style. Always easy to make alts and catch up with MQ, and on FV gearing them isnt even hard.

mhwicks

Love my Ranger also :)

durango773

Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't played in so long, I am not up to date on the classes as I used to be. I have np playing a druid instead of a Wiz. Like I said before I have played both and liked both. Sheesh I remember soloing both. Wiz - AOE kiting lol, you learn real quick what the term "glass cannon" means. Dru snare and root kiting. Giants are edible too! Fun times. Dammit that is what this game does to me, incredible memories flash before my eyes. As far as the 2 healer thing goes, I don't necessarily have the SHM for heals. I was thinking buffs/debuffs and SOW lol. Gotta have my SoW.

mhwicks

Ranger was my very first char in this game. He is only lvl 65 right now, but the nostalgia hit home when I opened that account (my original acct) and started looking at those characters, sheesh, it all came rushing back to me.

IMO the need for Ports via Wiz/Dru shouldn't be a deciding factor on picking a character over another that would better fit your crew (such as a Mage), could always keep a wiz/dru (or both) leveled up for ports but with guild halls now and PoK you are usually only a zone or 2 away from where the wiz/dru port would take you in most cases. With campfires and everyone in the same fellowship you could just run 3 to where you are wanting to go set campfire and "campfire" in the other 3.

As always the rule of thumb is do what makes you happy and what you want to do, but like Sic said you are off to a great start. Just putting in my 2 cents incase you hadn't been around since PoK/Guild Hall days on the getting around the world.

Explore the CWTN plug-ins. I think you will enjoy the results.
Part of the fun KA is in tweaking the ini to cause the toon to perform per your desires.
So many good group combinations, I don't think you can really go wrong if you have a good tank.
I think cooler heads in the boardroom maybe have said "look what these policies have done to our revenue - stop that now"

Hi guys

I just wanted to tell you that I too, play on the FV server. I really haven't noticed any perceivable difference between the player base there and any other server. There ARE a lot of players on that server. But that doesn't necessarily equate to more instance of /petition. The whole time I have been on that server, I have not been petitioned once while MQ'ing it. Most important thing is just stay at the keyboard when you are playing and don't be a dick to other players.

With all due respect to the boing community, of which I am one. I've been moloing a Necromancer a lot and well it's a really nice reintroduction to actually being able to molo and start a group of players. The only issue I've had so far with other players is they are for the most part to slow in their play or worse yet, don't know how to play, as in, they don't know the classes well enough to group well.

Other than that it's been fun.

To all repliers

Just wanted to thank you all for your replies and opinions. I have since changed my line up, took out the Wiz and made a Dru to replace her. Also I had one character on a Silver/Gold account (that was my original account). I deleted that character and re made it on a FTP account to protect the Gold account. Just a precaution to alleviate my stress level lol.

I have another question to ask. Can a FTP character receive Plat from another character? In game or by mail? I read that FTP can RECEIVE mail but not send it. Just for clarification, I was going to go All Access on my Gold account and buy a Krono to then sell to give my characters a leg up (since I am starting fresh on this server).

And also can the Gold account create a Guild and invite the FTP accounts to join? I looked on line but it wasn't real clear what the answers were.

Again, thanks in advance for any and all advice rendered.

have another question to ask. Can a FTP character receive Plat from another character? In game or by mail? I read that FTP can RECEIVE mail but not send it. Just for clarification, I was going to go All Access on my Gold account and buy a Krono to then sell to give my characters a leg up (since I am starting fresh on this server).

And also can the Gold account create a Guild and invite the FTP accounts to join? I looked on line but it wasn't real clear what the answers were.
FTP can send/recieve items/currency and may join a guild.

Question - "I wanna go back And do it all over again"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back