• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - How big are your armies? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
41¢
Hi guys,

I'm currently running 5 accounts now, about to get a 6th, ... my question is, how big are your bot armies? are there folks with 54 toon armies all MQ'ed?

My rig has 128Gb Ram, so i figure at 2gb a pop i could run 60 toons if i pushed it, just curious does anyone do that?

3-4 groups of main accts level 115 , and a plethora of support and mule accts . its not the ram that's going to get you at that point its going to be processor/video issue at that point . i don't know the rest of the specs on your machine , but i guess you could down all effects and turn it all off and down the models to the old ones and see how many you can do on your machine.

i got an i7 12 core processor and a nvidia geforce GTX 1080 ti, and yeah guess id be bottlenecked there first, do you run yours all on one rig?

3-4 groups of main accts level 115 , and a plethora of support and mule accts . its not the ram that's going to get you at that point its going to be processor/video issue at that point . i don't know the rest of the specs on your machine , but i guess you could down all effects and turn it all off and down the models to the old ones and see how many you can do on your machine.

It's neither at 128 gbs. I run 8 groups on a 3950x with 64gbs of ram and that only uses 30% of the CPU

I run 20 on 1 machine. Ryzen 7 2700 and 32gbs of ram. With all 20 I hit 65% on cpu and ram, but I max out the gpu on my nvidia 970. So video card is the eventual bottleneck. Yes I know eq is mostly a cpu game but video definitely plays a factor the more accounts you load.

I run 20 on 1 machine. Ryzen 7 2700 and 32gbs of ram. With all 20 I hit 65% on cpu and ram, but I max out the gpu on my nvidia 970. So video card is the eventual bottleneck. Yes I know eq is mostly a cpu game but video definitely plays a factor the more accounts you load.

Get an rx 580 8gb you want more memory on the GPU. Also use eqwire or mq2fps to limit FPS to under 25 and you will notice a HUGE difference in GPU load. I can run 60 + on the 580 using about 3.5 gbs of its memory and 40-50% GPU load.

Oh and don't think going with an expensive GPU matters. 11gb 1080ti from a few years ago cost me $1100 and the rx 580 can run the same amount of boxes. Shit for the cost of the GPU i could of built another PC with a 3950x anda rx 580.

I also have a ryzen 7 2700 Desktop with the 580 and 64 gbs of ram it can run 7 groups give or take a few toons after that you start to notice lag like mouse and keyboard delays etc.

This is 6 groups on 2700

pc.png

This is 12 groups on 3950x

pc2.png

Last edited:
Get an rx 580 8gb you want more memory on the GPU. Also use eqwire or mq2fps to limit FPS to under 25 and you will notice a HUGE difference in GPU load. I can run 60 + on the 580 using about 3.5 gbs of its memory and 40-50% GPU load.

Oh and don't think going with an expensive GPU matters. 11gb 1080ti from a few years ago cost me $1100 and the rx 580 can run the same amount of boxes. Shit for the cost of the GPU i could of built another PC with a 3950x anda rx 580.

I also have a ryzen 7 2700 Desktop with the 580 and 64 gbs of ram it can run 7 groups give or take a few toons after that you start to notice lag like mouse and keyboard delays etc.

@william12 Have you tried to zone 40-50 toons at once? How long does it take?! Also, if you have an army of that many toons, can you spawn your own /pick's?

@william12 Have you tried to zone 40-50 toons at once? How long does it take?! Also, if you have an army of that many toons, can you spawn your own /pick's?

I have EQ on its own 1tb NVME zoning doesn't take long even if 3-4 groups all zone at once. The issue you run into is EQ has a nasty memory leak the longer the game is loaded and eventually you start to get into the 3gb of committed memory and that instance crashes.

Ya can spawn my own pick if i wanted to. I've done it a few times in GD because once you get 40-50 people the zone starts to lag some so i wanted my own instance.

I just built a box last week with a XFX 5500 8G.. I can run 18 clients np. It does show it taking most of the load before ram (32G) and CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) even get stressed.

Hello,

I am running 8 box on the Dark Exile eqemu with rof 2 client. not sure what my pc is but it runs 8 boxes perfectly.

The server is really fun, and I'm hopeful to get kiss assist and mq2 so I can make it through the game on this server. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

I play with 6 groups so 36. I would love to do more but it takes a long time to gear up this many and my PC couldn't cope with more anyway. But this is a good number for what I want to do.

For those with large armies on live servers, do you have them all subbed, or do you just use ftp accounts for the majority? guessing the AA cap/non prestige gear would make them not as useful, but also wouldn't mind trying it out.

Back in the day I used to run up to 54 or 55 at times. Now I just stick with six. It's a lot more fun than trying manage that many at once. At 54 you need spreadsheets to keep track of everything. Supposed to be a game. Not accounting software. In my book at least.

Currently 32 on a Ryzen 5 3600x and using EQWIRE. On load up my CPU hits 100% then I need to tab through each box at start up in order to drop CPU usage.

Last edited:
Currently 3 because that was my max pre macros and plugins. Right now a Ranger, SK and mage with 2 healer mercs and a melee DPS merc. I may drop a healer and replace it with a new shammy box.

Running so many groups, curious what all of you do as far as leveling and AAing is concerned, either starting new TLP server, or new expac on TLP of live. I'm just getting into boxing on TLP and I feel like the biggest roadblock is level capping so many toons, not gear.

I just started the idea of multiple groups so I haven't gotten very far yet - but have done 12 successfully, but haven't done anything notable yet with them. If it works out, I hope to get 18 going.

Started running 54. Started the process about a month ago and just now am getting to a point where I can play them all at one. Soooo I run most of my account on an OLD HP Proliant DL380G6 with dual xeon's X5550 4 cores per, 16 total with HT and 64GB of ram on SSD's. I bought a cheap 50$ Nvidia Graphics card GT 970 or something like that. I run between 30-36 accounts on this box and it handles it like a champ. Best part is a friend gave it to me for free after his work replaced it. Just cost me a GPU. With a fresh install in Win10 it works great. Barely brushing 40% CPU. Sessions are smooth as silk after fully optimized. My main PC has a RTX 2080 TI but only a I7 8c and it starts to slow down after 24 accounts or so.

21 accounts, but haven't played for a while. I think I am @3 expansions back on most of my accounts and maybe 4 on a few. Computer is i7-6800k 3.4ghz, 128gb of ram, GTX1060 6gb ram. It runs all the accounts fine, but I really need to clean off the dust. Last time I loaded all accounts, it gets hot and game slows down. All toons that I use are at least lvl105 and I think 6 or 8 are 110. None are 115. Only my warrior is up to the latest expansion. TBL to TOV, I didn't play at all. I was keeping them all access up to where leveling to 105 was possible. Then I went to only having a group all access and rest FTP. Now I only keep 3 accounts all access (warrior, ranger and shaman), but if I start playing again will drop that to two.

I am going to downsize to only concentrating on 8 accounts. Will still have the rest, but not leveling them, AA's, expansions, quest, gear and so on.

Last edited:
17-24 on Ryzen7 1700, 16gb ram, RTX2070. Once I get to 28 is when I see some massive lag (though usually a toon or two is in baz/GL, which kills it. lol)

Really only played 3 on live.. On Emu on the other hand ive ran 3 whole grps on e9 profusion. Current setup is r9 3900 12 core...2080 super 8 gig and 16 gigs of ram havent had a single problem yet other than runtime errors from not enough virtual memory

Really only played 3 on live.. On Emu on the other hand ive ran 3 whole grps on e9 profusion. Current setup is r9 3900 12 core...2080 super 8 gig and 16 gigs of ram havent had a single problem yet other than runtime errors from not enough virtual memory

Oh hey, I also had 3 groups on ProFusion. One of each class, no matter how good or useless the class was (on that server particularly) and a second Cleric and Bard to fill the third group out. Fun time having that many toons up and going. It completely changes the game though. From a nice fantasy MMORPG to like, an RTS Adventure Management Sim. Make sure the ini/plugins are good, gear is good, loot filter is good, everyone got food and water? spells up to date?

Currently running 3 groups at once - so 18 accounts ( 6 gold for my main team, and 12 FTP for farming squads) The FTP groups are still leveling up, but moving fast as they are taking the same route my current main group did - just staying in each area a bit longer due to the lack of AAs

What do you guys do with all of these accounts? Are you raiding or are you sending groups to different locations simultaneously?

Can't speak for Live, but on my EMU I used them for raiding content. Also raid exp seemed... incorrect. I was getting close to the same exp while in a raid as I was in a normal group. So I would set my groups up in different areas of a zone to maximize exp for everyone.

Discussion - How big are your armies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back