• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Guide - EverQuest on a Steam Deck (1 Viewer)

A while ago, I got a Steam Deck and it's a pretty cool device. So cool, in fact, that one of my children stole it from me and I haven't seen it until recently. But, since I finally got access to play with it, of course the first thing I would do with it is get EverQuest working on it. For those of you who would also like to do so, I wrote a guide! I did not take pictures for the guide, someone else can do that~

I did this with a mouse and keyboard attached (and a monitor) because it's way easier, but it's all possible using just the steam deck itself.
1.) In the standard interface, install EverQuest via steam. Wait for this to complete and then we'll go into the desktop interface.
2.) Hold in your power button and when the menu pops up choose "Switch to Desktop"
3.) Open the Discover app and search for Protontricks (Install it)
4.) I also installed Visual Studio Code at this point because that's my preferred text editor but it's not necessary. You will need an editor later though.

From here you can use the interface or the command line, I prefer the command line because it's faster, but I did it with the UI too and those instructions are below. Here are the command line options:
1.) Open Konsole
2.) Run: alias protontricks='flatpak run com.github.Matoking.protontricks'
3.) Run: protontricks 205710 d3dx9_43
4.) Run: protontricks 205710 corefonts

If you'd rather use a GUI to do the same thing (if you ran the command line you don't need to do this as well, it's one or the other):
1.) Open protontricks (Utilities --> Protontricks) and select EverQuest Free-to-Play: 205710
2.) Choose "Select the Default Wine Prefix"
3.) You'll now be at "What would you like to do with this wine prefix?" -- Choose "Install a Windows DLL or component"
4.) Choose "d3dx9_43" from the list and click OK
5.) Don't lose hope, this will eventually finish and pop the protontricks screen back up. Now choose "Install a font"
6.) Check the box for "corefonts" and click OK
7.) You'll eventually get back to the protontricks screen. You may now close out of protontricks.

Now we're going to change the launch options in steam, otherwise you're going to get a blank screen.
1.) Open Steam and navigate to EverQuest Free-to-Play.
2.) On the top right hand side is an icon that looks like a cog, click that and choose "Properties" (you can also right click on the game and choose properties)
3.) You'll be on the general tab. (You can Uncheck "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game" if it annoys you like it does me, but it's not necessary to do)
4.) Under Launch Options, in the advanced box enter: %command% --disable-gpu

You may now launch the game and you should see the patcher. Go ahead and log into your account and patch the game. We'll launch the game and then exit out so we can make some other changes. Once you've launched the game for the first time, agree to the terms of service, make your way to the server select screen and then logout. We're going to make one change to the eqclient.ini and then you should be good to go:
1.) Open Dolphin (file browser) and navigate to Places --> Home
2.) Press CTRL+H to show hidden files and navigate to ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/EverQuest F2P
3.) Open eqclient.ini (I use vscode for this but use whatever text editor you'd like)
4.) Under [Defaults] change VertexShaders=TRUE to VertexShaders=FALSE

You're now good to go for EverQuest! Congrats! Click Play and have fun!

Except...a note on resolution -- if you were playing on the Steam Deck on a larger monitor, it can be hard to get your settings correct for Game Mode. The easiest way I've found that works is to open your eqclient.ini and change the following settings to make it work in Game Mode.
INI:
[VideoMode]
Width=1280
Height=800
WindowedWidth=1280
WindowedHeight=717

Last edited:
Up next @Knightly loads EQ on a gameboy...lol

nostalgia celebrate GIF by tarninabarn

Ha, battery life on a gameboy sucks~

But what's that you say? EverQuest is barely any fun without MacroQuest? Ole man Knightly left you hanging did he? Well...in case it wasn't obvious that the reason I was installing EverQuest on a Steam Deck was to get MacroQuest working... I wrote a guide for that too!

First step is to put a copy of MacroQuest on your SteamDeck. I do this using Dropbox, but you can get it over however you'd like. You'll need to know the path for this step. I'm going to assume it's in /home/deck/MQ for the steps below (but adjust for your path, you can put it wherever you want). This guide assumes you're still in desktop mode, so if you're not, follow the steps in the first guide to get there...
1.) Go back to Discover and install ProtonUp-Qt
2.) Launch ProtonUp-Qt and choose "Add version"
3.) Install SteamTinkerLaunch
4.) Open Steam and navigate to EverQuest Free-to-Play
5.) Go to properties and select the Compatibility tab
6.) Check the box for "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool"
7.) Select Steam Tinker Launch and close out of properties
8.) Clicking "Play" on EverQuest will now launch a short prompt for SteamTinkerLaunch before launching into the game -- this screen will have a "Main Menu" button on it that needs to be clicked before the timeout. Go ahead and click Play and then click "Main Menu"
9.) From the Main Menu choose "Game Menu" (bottom row)
10.) Check the box for Use custom command
11.) In the Custom Command box, navigate to your MacroQuest.exe file
12.) In the Custom command arguments box add: /noappcompat /injectonce
13.) Check the box for Inject custom command
14.) Click Save and Play

Now, when you click Play from Steam, it will launch both EverQuest and MacroQuest. The reason it's set to /injectonce is so you can now exit Desktop Mode and everything will work in the normal Steam Deck interface -- Game Mode (you can also leave that flag off and just run it in the desktop interface where you'll see the tray icon and everything). You can also tinker and not launch it through steam at all, running multiple instances. But...I wanted it to use the normal interface so this is the guide you get~

Have a deck and this is my first foray into linux - When I am running the commands from Konsole the first one execute (or at least doesn't give me an error) but the second two say command not found. I tried the GUI way as well and when I launch protontricks, and select EQ, the program crashes.

Error message key point seems to be WINETRICKS environment variable is not available.
Found 0 steam shortcuts running using steam compatibility tools.

Any suggestions? Im sure it's something simple...

Everquest itself works well

Followed directions for Macroquest on Steam Deck <Test server MQ on Desktop Mode - Moved MQ folder from windows machine to Steam deck home/deck/MQ>. Starting MQ I get :

"Application compatibility Layer Issues found:

Error accessing Values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: -1
Error accessing Values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER: -1"

I'm a newb with Linux so I just dual-booted mine with SteamOS and Windows 10 a few months ago. Valve was nice enough to provide all the drivers needed for an easy Windows install.

I was only using it for another True-Box PC and controlled it with a virtual KVM, so not sure how easily the joysticks/buttons would be to set up in Windows.

Have a deck and this is my first foray into linux - When I am running the commands from Konsole the first one execute (or at least doesn't give me an error) but the second two say command not found. I tried the GUI way as well and when I launch protontricks, and select EQ, the program crashes.

Error message key point seems to be WINETRICKS environment variable is not available.
Found 0 steam shortcuts running using steam compatibility tools.

Any suggestions? Im sure it's something simple...
Hmm, what do you mean by crashes? Might try a reinstall of protontricks. Sounds like something went wrong there since the flatpak is showing command not found.
Everquest itself works well

Followed directions for Macroquest on Steam Deck <Test server MQ on Desktop Mode - Moved MQ folder from windows machine to Steam deck home/deck/MQ>. Starting MQ I get :

"Application compatibility Layer Issues found:

Error accessing Values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: -1
Error accessing Values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER: -1"
This means you'll need to go into SteamTinkerlaunch and make sure you have the custom arguments set properly (this is the /noappcompat argument) -- But the message can also safely be ignored (since it's not applicable on wine).

Made an account just to ask, cause this is the first and only actual guide I've found for this...
But I followed the instructions for EQ (I'll try the rest later if I can get this far first lol) and everything seems good.. I get to the server select, grab my server and click.. blank screen but music playing... aaaaand drops to desktop...
no errors or messages, just clean quits...

EDIT: I'm a total yutz...!
LOL gonna leave this in case anyone else does this moronic move.. Apparently I installed the DXDX11_43 instead of DXDX9_43... merp

Last edited:
Made an account just to ask, cause this is the first and only actual guide I've found for this...
But I followed the instructions for EQ (I'll try the rest later if I can get this far first lol) and everything seems good.. I get to the server select, grab my server and click.. blank screen but music playing... aaaaand drops to desktop...
no errors or messages, just clean quits...

EDIT: I'm a total yutz...!
LOL gonna leave this in case anyone else does this moronic move.. Apparently I installed the DXDX11_43 instead of DXDX9_43... merp
howdy grim!

just curious if MQ2Danet works on the Steamdeck.
I found this to be the problem on launching MQ through Crossover on an M1 mac.
I had it loaded, but I wasn't actually playing with it. We went on a trip and my daughter took the Steam Deck back~ I believe with Crossover it didn't even load with dannet on, yeah?

I got to the point where I log in with my credentials but I am unable to type in my username and password. The buttons are mapped to 1 2 3 4 for A B Y X and i can type those buttons and a few others but how can I get a keyboard to type in my credentials? Thank you

Thank you Knightly. I have one more question, what’s the best way to key map ctrl+h on steam deck to access the .ini file?

So I got it installed ok, I was just going to potter about on a new toon killing stuff, thought I'd try in the tutorial first to get basics, but I couldnt get the virtual keyboard to work once in game, have I missed something?

Sometimes you have to hit the keyboard combination a few times in full screen apps. I just don't use the keyboard~

how do you update it after the patch or patches? Like how do i get redguides to open up in its own window like you would see on a windows version? I am not familiar with Linux at all.. wish I was.

Also, in your guide it says you downloaded the MQ program from drop box or whatever, can you not just download it to the steamdeck from the link /download option via this site and install it or no?

I don't believe the RG installer runs on the steamdeck. The reason I suggested dropbox is because you can do it on a windows computer and it automatically synchronizes. You can also download the zip file from this site and unzip it. But using dropbox and a windows computer lets you use RG's updater.

Last edited:
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that for me, another question? How do we ge MQ to work on a tlp server (via steam deck), or at the very least if it shuts down/closes get it back up the same way you would the launcher on windows? Do you have to use dropbox for that and use the link?

MQ on Truebox isn't supported. Otherwise, it works just like it does on Windows.
Gotcha, welp yealnik server opens up boxing up to 3 clients tomorrow so hopefully MQ will support that one when ever the team gets around to it. I know the TLP Rizolina or however you spell that server name worked so all good. Yall rock much appreciated!!

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that for me, another question? How do we ge MQ to work on a tlp server (via steam deck), or at the very least if it shuts down/closes get it back up the same way you would the launcher on windows? Do you have to use dropbox for that and use the link?
Dear sir,

You can't play at work.

BB~

Guide - EverQuest on a Steam Deck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back