• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - 64bit discussion (scheduled 2-15-2022 for live server) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should increase the plat limit for bazaar. They have said in the past that limit is because of 32bit. The game trades all plat as copper and 2m plat is almost the max for the 32bit integrator.

No the past limit is because of 32-bit integers, not because of process architecture. 32-bit process is fully capable of 64-bit integers. they just choose not to make the change for whatever reason.

Well, it does make the 64bit thing look logical.

I'm not so sure that's true. We had to move some lab software from 16 bit to 32 bit and it wasn't the end of the world and took about three months an a budget of 150k for an "off the shelf" lims system.

150k budget and 3 months of how many peoples time. I suspect while some code may be saved this will be a huge undertaking for those in the MQ community with the talent and skills. Plus I am sure our people have day jobs too.

Two contractors for 3 months. The wrote patches and we validated each install for each level of permissions within the software. Two patches and two qualifications. It took 3 months and the end of the sixth week the last patch was installed and the rest of the time was all screen navigation and verification of calculations. I admit it was "off the shelf" but the software was updated in six weeks. Most of the time was committed to proving the updates worked correctly.

To me the biggest question is going to be whether they just do a relatively straight code refactoring which could be smooth. But if they decide to "fix" and "improve" things along the way then it could get really ugly. And as I mentioned in another thread they could also try to detect or break MQ in the new compile. Their track record for major changes is not the best. Remember the data center move!

Greetings Norrathians!

We are excited to officially announce the long-awaited conversion to 64-bit Servers and Clients for EverQuest!

You may be wondering, "Why is this important?" The answer is simply, with more available memory we can immediately decrease the "out of memory" client crashes. This update is going to allow for the utilization of more of the memory on your computer and on our servers. Currently, no matter how much physical or virtual memory is on your machine we are limited to using 4GBs of it. With 64-bit clients, we can in theory use up to 16 exabytes. The "out of memory" issue is statistically the number one reason we see client crashes right now. Additionally, this change allows for increased client and server performance by allowing us to load more into memory instead of relying on slow reads from a hard drive. Plus, this puts us on a path to have more and higher resolution art in the game.

We will begin rolling out the new 64-bit update to Beta in the coming weeks, and at that time you will need to run a 64-bit Windows OS to continue participating in Beta. However, the 64-bit update will not be launching with the launch of the new expansion: Terror of Luclin. You will still be able to enjoy EverQuest's 28th Expansion launch without any interruption on live servers. After the launch of the expansion, we will be updating the Test Server about a month before the full launch to live servers. This release to the Test Server is currently targeted for early 2022. We want to make sure this transition is as smooth as possible, so these dates are subject to change in order to make sure we can provide you with the best possible update. LaunchPad will automatically update your client and you will be able to enjoy EverQuest in a new and improved way. It is just around the corner so stay tuned for the Beta and Test Server announcements!

Officially, the sunsetting of the 32-bit client will take effect on the day that the 64-bit clients are released to the live servers. Because of this migration, we will no longer be able to support 32-bit systems. We recommend making backups of any INI files (or other customizations) in your client directory and upgrading to at least the minimum 64-bit specs as shown below:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400/AMD Athlon x2 4050e
  • Memory: 3 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8800/AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT or higher (comparison chart)
  • Network: Broadband Internet Connection
  • Hard Drive: 15 GB of free hard drive space

OPTIMAL RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850/AMD Phenom II x2
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 260/AMD Radeon HD 4870 or higher (comparison chart)
  • Network: Broadband Internet Connection
  • Hard Drive: 15 GB of free hard drive space
You can determine if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows on Microsoft's Support Site.

This update is an example of how we here at Darkpaw Games are constantly dedicated to improving and innovating on your favorite game through key modernization initiatives. In the coming years, we are planning on more big projects like this and hope to be able to share some of them with you in the future.

Thank you for your continued understanding, patience, and support and as always, we will see you in Norrath!

-The Darkpaw Team

If this will impact MQ for reals I am doing one of two things. I'm either running 5 mages and a druid w/ keystroke set for the mages, or I'll toggle tab my tank, shm, enc and run with...*pukes in mouth* mercs. Assuming I can't ISOBOX.

I'm also interested in seeing the impact on server economies.

Well.. if there is anyway i can help with the MQ migration, please let me know.. I will keep hand jamming and raiding on my first char, but no point in the multitudes of accounts/char i have now if its all hand played... and ive sort of grown fond of them..

The lack of overlap framework is annoying, and just 1 month of test server. Hopefully the beta patchier version will help give our people a little bit of a head start?

That GPU comparison chart they linked means nothing to me. /shrug guess will see soon in beta. Some on the forums said they will be quitting TLP as they won't be upgrading computers. Guess we will see.

Last edited:
That CPU comparison chart they linked means nothing to me. /shrug guess will see soon in beta. Some on the forums said they will be quitting TLP as they won't be upgrading computers. Guess we will see.

I just checked Walmart. You can buy a refurbished 64-bit computer that exceeds the EQ requirements for about $150. Or if they just need a 64-bit version of Windows you can get a 10Pro key on Ebay for $1.50 so I think those people who say they will quit are just exhibiting a routine resistance to change. I'm sure Daybreak won't take them seriously.

Poor Rizlona.

Yupp, my server will become a ghost town for however long it will be to get MqNext up and running again... I guess ill hammer the donate button and pray for it to work :D

Does this change mean that running EQ on a toaster is no more an option ? :P

Yupp, my server will become a ghost town for however long it will be to get MqNext up and running again... I guess ill hammer the donate button and pray for it to work :D

Does this change mean that running EQ on a toaster is no more an option ? :P
will have to be a 64 bit toaster...

Well, @Sic update post sure makes things a bit more clear..and gives us an idea of timeline as well. On live I may just sit around the guild lobby or baz again..ha.
On another idea, while we wait for OUR devs to figure out this issue, does anyone run or have a 'EMU for dummies' guide that we can run and still use our 32 bit MQ (next)? I will imagibe its good on the RoF2 client, but I have never played an EMU world. Though maybe can do so on my own comp or join one of those worlds that someone runs just until MQ64 (wink) is ready. Btw, I already have dreams of playing MQ64 with NextPal added to my list of addons. :) Let me dream happy. Long live RedGuides!

Test server players, we thank you!
Yall are forked, test is full of lazy casuals (source am one) We won't even find 1/10th of the bugs. I suggest yall start copying toons now to help us because we're going to need it. As it stands now the chances of it going live with game-breaking bugs/crashes is SUPER high. Just guessing here but could also cause some file/memory corruption if done wrong?

64 bit totally makes sense to me on servers, not sure why they're bothering on the client, but maybe lots of raiders run out of memory?

Well, @Sic update post sure makes things a bit more clear..and gives us an idea of timeline as well. On live I may just sit around the guild lobby or baz again..ha.
On another idea, while we wait for OUR devs to figure out this issue, does anyone run or have a 'EMU for dummies' guide that we can run and still use our 32 bit MQ (next)? I will imagibe its good on the RoF2 client, but I have never played an EMU world. Though maybe can do so on my own comp or join one of those worlds that someone runs just until MQ64 (wink) is ready. Btw, I already have dreams of playing MQ64 with NextPal added to my list of addons. :) Let me dream happy. Long live RedGuides!

Take a look at http://www.eqemulator.org/ . Even the "vanilla" servers have a different feel, projecteq being the most Rizlona-like imo. Some of the bespoke ones feel too un-everquesty for me. Also, most macros assume Live functionality and eqemu sometimes does stuff differently in a way that you might not notice with manual play, but might confuse stuff like KissAssist, RGMercs etc, ymmv. So you might be in a similar situation with EMU!

Yall are forked, test is full of lazy casuals (source am one) We won't even find 1/10th of the bugs. I suggest yall start copying toons now to help us because we're going to need it. As it stands now the chances of it going live with game-breaking bugs/crashes is SUPER high. Just guessing here but could also cause some file/memory corruption if done wrong?
As a guildie put it, more glitches will load together and run more smoothly. We'll see incompatible code combinations we've never seen before because they've never been together in ram before.

🚬

No next love for emu yet unfortunately, just ol' mq2 to play around with.

Doubt they're comparable, but for the data automation projects I manage at work we reserve a final iteration where we review our SQLs and we always come away with a final 'restructure' that allows us to remove chunks of redundant / sunset ideas that we carried from early in the project. I know we're on MQ2, but hopefully this would give our dev group the ability to restructure some obsolete / redundant segments? Dare I say carve out some of our 'multiple ways' content?

Doubt they're comparable, but for the data automation projects I manage at work we reserve a final iteration where we review our SQLs and we always come away with a final 'restructure' that allows us to remove chunks of redundant / sunset ideas that we carried from early in the project. I know we're on MQ2, but hopefully this would give our dev group the ability to restructure some obsolete / redundant segments? Dare I say carve out some of our 'multiple ways' content?
MacroQuest "Next"? heh you should consider moving over

News - 64bit discussion (scheduled 2-15-2022 for live server)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back