• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - EQBC server with an external connection on a different network (1 Viewer)

insomniac3011

RedCents
40¢
Hey so my brother and I were living at the same place for a bit, we both had our computers on the same network and were able to connect to eqbc without any problems, but since he has moved out and is now unable to connect as expected.

I use ATT router which sucks because it doesn't have an actual "port forwarding" page and I'm not sure if im at the right one to be able to achieve this, basically he is on a completely different network now. I have a picture here but is port forwarding the only thing I have to do? Basically I tried to set it so that any inbound IPv4 connection on 2112 to my computer 192.168.1.xx would be allowed, and any outbound connection from my computer 192.168.1.xx to any IPv4 would also be allowed, but is this the last step or is there a step with maybe needing to have him connect to my actual external ip address?

So I have been using a laptop which i connected to my phones mobile hotspot to test this, nothing works, port forwarding (if that really is what it is on ATT rounter) trying to connect to my computers public external IP and the internal IP nothing works.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    352.2 KB · Views: 12
Solution
That does look like port forwarding.

I assume the "xx" is just for privacy, and you're using your actual local (LAN) IP, correct? (You can find it here)

durango773 is correct, your brother will have to use your internet (WAN) IP to connect. You can get that by going to ipchicken.com

You'll also need to allow the port (2112 by default) through your windows firewall. Instructions here.
I'm not sure what's going on but if his toon is in your group or your toon is in his group EQCB.exe should work fine. I've never had this problem and I have multiple computers on multiple networks and when I group across machines and networks EQCB works just fine. I don't think there's anything special on your end you need to do other than group. Am I wrong here?

the ISP will block it. a 192.168.xxx.xxx is a public (not real) IP. would have to ask your ISP to give you a static IP, point at that, then once your in, your modem/router will direct to your server on your local network.

I assume the "xx" is just for privacy, and you're using your actual local (LAN) IP, correct? (You can find it here)

durango773 is correct, your brother will have to use your internet (WAN) IP to connect. You can get that by going to ipchicken.com

You'll also need to allow the port (2112 by default) through your windows firewall. Instructions here.

Last edited:
Solution

I assume the "xx" is just a placeholder, and you're using your actual LAN IP? (You can find it here)

You'll also want to allow the port through your windows firewall. Instructions here.
What have i screwed up that I don't have to do any of this? I use Dannet as well, is that what is "fixing" if for me as well? But, even before Dannet I didn't have to do anything... Am I leaving myself exposed in some way as evidenced that EQCB works for me without doing anything?

What have i screwed up that I don't have to do any of this? I use Dannet as well, is that what is "fixing" if for me as well? But, even before Dannet I didn't have to do anything... Am I leaving myself exposed in some way as evidenced that EQCB works for me without doing anything?
Are you trying to share the same EQBC server with someone in an entirely different house?

Every PC on the "network" should think it's in another place.
You may have your home network set up that way, I can't be certain.

In general your local network (LAN) is separate from the internet (WAN).

Lan-Vs-Wan.png

Sifter, you're probably allowing local broadcasts which would allow dannet to work. (But most VPNs for privacy do turn off local broadcasts). It still doesn't apply in this situation because they're in two physical locations.

For insomniac3111, you can also use something like ZeroTier without opening ports on your firewall (or wireguard, which requires ports but not the EQBC port).

Problem - EQBC server with an external connection on a different network

Users who are viewing this thread

Back