• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Deciding on what to box with my monk (1 Viewer)

Kuridd

RedCents
24¢
Currently have a monk that I'm working on and while I am having a fun time with the merc healer, it is becoming apparent that this is not going to last forever and may need some help soon. I was thinking of two or three boxing, but would not want to end up boxing a full group.

Looking at adding possibly a shaman to help with healing/buffs/slows but not sure if I should add a third box while I am leveling up the shaman. If so what else do you all recommend?

Everyone's style is different...my advice...holy trinity + your monk. If you're going to go for 3...might as well do 4.

Tank, Crowd Control, Healer ... then your monk. Your DPS class is fun...but as you approach 110 and above there's very little you'll be able to do without the first 3 solo.

Mercs are ok...but at some point they'll be crap too, you'll need a cleric or a shaman

If you are going to do 4, might as well go 6. LOL! I started out when I just came back like you. My 1st toon, was a Monk. I got to mid 30's or so, before I decided to 2 box and I knew Shaman was best combo. So, I made a Shaman, leveled him within grouping range of Monk and moved forward. Then, I wanted a valid tank, so SK was my choice. Same thing. Got into grouping range, and moved forward. At this point, I was having issues with too many mobs and needed CC, even with split pulling. Made a Bard, and not 30 mins later, made a cleric and mage to round out my group. Haven't looked back.

All but 1 (Bard) uses the CWTN plugins and I got to say, set them up right, and you are pretty unstoppable. I use RGMercs on the bard.

Make the 6. I swear, you will not regret it. While I don't have the best of DPS (Bard, Monk, Mage, Shaman). I can say that the Shaman has saved my ass when the cleric went down. Survivability > DPS race IMHO.

Currently have a monk
As a long time monk user, unless you just really enjoy the class (which I do/did) roll as something else. If you're just looking for the best dps output, monks really just aren't it.

However, if you are having a blast on a monk and just need utility to keep that dream alive. I'd say SK/SHM/MNK if you're willing to hit a fourth box, Bard or Chanter. Shaman is both a great healing and utility class. SK's are great self sufficient tanks in the group content. Bard's will increase your dps for your monk and work as back up CC (I've not been successful yet with one lol, but look at Sic's videos, his is awesome) or Chanter, because chanter haste and crowd control never hurts!

As a long time monk user, unless you just really enjoy the class (which I do/did) roll as something else. If you're just looking for the best dps output, monks really just aren't it.

However, if you are having a blast on a monk and just need utility to keep that dream alive. I'd say SK/SHM/MNK if you're willing to hit a fourth box, Bard or Chanter. Shaman is both a great healing and utility class. SK's are great self sufficient tanks in the group content. Bard's will increase your dps for your monk and work as back up CC (I've not been successful yet with one lol, but look at Sic's videos, his is awesome) or Chanter, because chanter haste and crowd control never hurts!
Yep, decades of monk play. The thing about monks on the way up a merc tank and merc healer and a Bard and he can enjoy at least 110 levels on a two box.

I really don't want to roll a zerker, just not my type of playstyle. Too narrowly focused. Are rogues better DPS than monks now?

I really don't want to roll a zerker, just not my type of playstyle. Too narrowly focused. Are rogues better DPS than monks now?
I will not ever tell you what to do, but what is your aversion to a 6 box vs 3 or 4? There are so many great combos out there when you control all 6 vs 3 or 4 with mercs. The CWTN plugins are hands down, the finest works of art I have ever seen in the MQ community. They just work, and work so well. Worth every penny. Additionally, you can always drop the 6 when max level and go with that you feel comfortable with and you have choices. 6 max leveled classes to choose from as long as you don't double up. I have heard of a Tank,Healer, Bard, Zerk or Rogue x 3. While it might be a great DPS group, what am I going to do with 3 rogues at the end game if I want to raid.

I was trying to find some real live parses at the top end, but my google searches ended up as fruitless, so I have no experience currently at the top end. I did before I quit, and I did in WoW. I theorycrafted so much in WoW back from t8 to t15. Many classes.

The general consensus I can find for current content are Berzerkers at the top. Rogues can catch up in longer fights, Monks behind them. There are also casters, depending on fight mechanics. Since melee have to run to the boss, and then to adds, etc. Lost DPS time. Casters turn and burn.

Question - Deciding on what to box with my monk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back