• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - computer specs question (1 Viewer)

Gibevad

RedCents
356¢
hello all!
im going to buy a new computer right now im running on a laptop sometimes i can run 6 most time just 4 accounts it has a AMD Ryzen 5 3500U processor with a Radenon Vega mobile GFX 2.10 GHz graphics card and 8 GB of memory it handles 6 pretty easily most of the time but i know its not meant to run that much load so im going to buy a desktop im looking at a AMD Ryzen 7 3800x, Nividia RTX 2060 6 GB, 16BG DDR4, 500 GB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM storage but before i buy it i was hoping someone could tell me if it will easily handle 6 accounts?
I dont know enough about computers i guess i figured i would defer to the experts. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you all

Well...that depends on how you're planning to run them. I run 6-10 accounts right now on a dual core laptop with no graphics card and ... 12 megs of ram? The trick is taking your clip plane down to 10-15% on all but your pullers and kill spell effects. Runs smoothly. If you're going to turn everything on everywhere get as much ram, good graphics card, cores, and memory as possible.

Depending on your budget i'd say look at originpc...they've got some righteous builds for gaming.

Yes, you should. My suggestions:
More ram. Ram is the best bang-for-your-buck for improving any computer. You can never have too much ram.
And the 2060 - you might look at a 30-series card. They're hard to come by, but the bump in performance for the cost is nice. (Unless this all pre-built and you don't have the option to choose something else.)

yeah the computer i was looking at is prebuilt i will def try turning all the far clip planes down on all but my main account i have all spell environment and what not turn off on all accounts i dont care about the bot accounts i just want to be able to have spell effects and what not on my main account if possible more than that i just want smooth game play i was doing the daily in the bixie war front and they kept just running around gathering mobs when i hit follow me or come to me i was watching them lag around so i am just gonna kep it to 4 accounts till i get a new computer i guess my budget is 1000-1200 dollars so im going to make sure the ram is upgradeable.

Those specs should work fine and I'm sure you would be very happy making the purchase. I know I'm not a very patience person when it comes to making upgrade purchases once I set down that path. BUT, as Denethor mentioned, Nvidia released the 30-series a few months ago and the performance gains for the costs make the 20-series look like a joke (and I own a gaming laptop with an RTX 2080). But with low production and a very high demand for them it's hard to get them and the costs for hardware right now is relatively high. If you could hold out a few months you might be able to spend a little more and get a lot more out of it. But then again, EQ is hardly demanding on the GPU, so if that's really all you're worried about then I wouldn't bother.

If you have Windows 10 and it's relatively updated, login all your characters and then hit Windows Key + G. You should have a Performance Indicator open, if not select the monitor icon at the top of the game bar. Take a look and see what's throttled out at 100% then it can help you plan out your next purchase better. Having a fast NVMe card is also a huge performance gain.

Those specs should work fine and I'm sure you would be very happy making the purchase. I know I'm not a very patience person when it comes to making upgrade purchases once I set down that path. BUT, as Denethor mentioned, Nvidia released the 30-series a few months ago and the performance gains for the costs make the 20-series look like a joke (and I own a gaming laptop with an RTX 2080). But with low production and a very high demand for them it's hard to get them and the costs for hardware right now is relatively high. If you could hold out a few months you might be able to spend a little more and get a lot more out of it. But then again, EQ is hardly demanding on the GPU, so if that's really all you're worried about then I wouldn't bother.

If you have Windows 10 and it's relatively updated, login all your characters and then hit Windows Key + G. You should have a Performance Indicator open, if not select the monitor icon at the top of the game bar. Take a look and see what's throttled out at 100% then it can help you plan out your next purchase better. Having a fast NVMe card is also a huge performance gain.
GPU is 100

GPU is 100

Then you'll definitely see better performance by upgrading to that 2060

Look at lowering the Particle effect density and "on for" settings could help as well as trimming the clipping pane (although I'd rather see further than see more effects closer). Tweaking and turn off shaders and post processing in the advanced options could help.

Another thing I recommend is playing with the FPS limiter, you don't want this too low and I seen better performance capping it while boxing. I have my max and background fps both set to 60, I wouldn't set background any lower than 30 or even 40 for that matter. You'll actually see more lag on your boxes.

Then you'll definitely see better performance by upgrading to that 2060

Look at lowering the Particle effect density and "on for" settings could help as well as trimming the clipping pane (although I'd rather see further than see more effects closer). Tweaking and turn off shaders and post processing in the advanced options could help.

Another thing I recommend is playing with the FPS limiter, you don't want this too low and I seen better performance capping it while boxing. I have my max and background fps both set to 60, I wouldn't set background any lower than 30 or even 40 for that matter. You'll actually see more lag on your boxes.
ok ill try that i have mine set at 30 i dont have any spell effects on at all and the clip is at 10% on all but my driver toon

hello all!
im going to buy a new computer right now im running on a laptop sometimes i can run 6 most time just 4 accounts it has a AMD Ryzen 5 3500U processor with a Radenon Vega mobile GFX 2.10 GHz graphics card and 8 GB of memory it handles 6 pretty easily most of the time but i know its not meant to run that much load so im going to buy a desktop im looking at a AMD Ryzen 7 3800x, Nividia RTX 2060 6 GB, 16BG DDR4, 500 GB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM storage but before i buy it i was hoping someone could tell me if it will easily handle 6 accounts?
I dont know enough about computers i guess i figured i would defer to the experts. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you all

I run 6-10 accounts right now on a dual core laptop with no graphics card and ... 12 megs of ram?

I feel like you meant "Gigs instead of megs" Also, 12 is a really oddball number for memory. 3 sticks of 4? 1 stick of 8 and 1 stick of 4?
It's 2021 machine, you need more RAM.

This.

When you first log a character in they tend to use up about 1 gig of memory, sometimes more. When you chain zone (travel from place to place) the memory usage hikes each time you zone up to a certain upper limit, eventually falling off to a lower value. I can get memory usage per client in the 100-200 megs range, but it's not abnormal to see it as high as 1.4gigs per client when zoning a lot.

If CPU is bottle necking at 100% before using EQWire, then chances are EQWire alone would solve that issue. When logging in all accounts at once with 8 gigs I could see there being issues trying to get them all in at once. More memory would likely solve that issue.

GPU typically isn't a bottle neck, it's usually your CPU/Memory, though it's not unhead of. If I had to pick something to be cheap with, it would likely be the GPU. Figure in about 2 gigs per client and you shouldn't have any issues running 6, figure in a bit more if you plan to open a million browser tabs and do other stuff in the background.

Keep in mind that if you're planning to use the PC specifically for EQ, that it is a single threaded process, meaning each client by default uses only a single core of the CPU, and subsequent clients will choose the next in line. If you have a dual core CPU, then your first client would use core 1, second client core 2, third client core 1, fourth client core 2, etc etc.
Having a processor that has as many cores available as you plan to have clients running is ideal.

In regards to GPU a 2060 is probably well beyond the bounds of "necessary", though if you're doing other things other than EQ a 2060 likely wouldn't hurt.

With it all said and done, I think the 16 gigs of DDR4 will be more than you need for 6 clients WAY more than you need at 32 gigs, the GPU as a 2060 will be more than you need for 6 clients, and the CPU shouldn't have any issues with 8 cores right out of the box with the quoted stats. Increasing the memory shouldn't be necessary. I can't see you being displeased with the system you purchased.

I run 28 accounts on a ryzen 3900x, asrock 5700xt 8gb oc+ taichi, 64 gb 3600 mhz g skill trident neo z. And asus tuf gaming x570 plus. H115i rgb platinum cooler. 1 tb corsair mp600 force nvme drive. I use isboxer and mq2eqwire and max settings everything runs smooth until day 3 or 4 I will start getting some stuttering. I don't know how many accounts it can handle before it starts cussing me think the most I've loaded was 36 and at that point my brain couldn't handle which hotkey combo did what. I have another pc with fx8350 and rx580 32gb ram that I can run 18 accounts on low settings no Luclin models and spell particles off with mq2eqwire loaded (this is the best plugin for boxers as I could barely run 6 without it for any extended amount of time). I'd grab this plugin and see where it takes you. Laptop gaming sucks too btw just saying 🙃

This.

When you first log a character in they tend to use up about 1 gig of memory, sometimes more. When you chain zone (travel from place to place) the memory usage hikes each time you zone up to a certain upper limit, eventually falling off to a lower value. I can get memory usage per client in the 100-200 megs range, but it's not abnormal to see it as high as 1.4gigs per client when zoning a lot.

If CPU is bottle necking at 100% before using EQWire, then chances are EQWire alone would solve that issue. When logging in all accounts at once with 8 gigs I could see there being issues trying to get them all in at once. More memory would likely solve that issue.

GPU typically isn't a bottle neck, it's usually your CPU/Memory, though it's not unhead of. If I had to pick something to be cheap with, it would likely be the GPU. Figure in about 2 gigs per client and you shouldn't have any issues running 6, figure in a bit more if you plan to open a million browser tabs and do other stuff in the background.

Keep in mind that if you're planning to use the PC specifically for EQ, that it is a single threaded process, meaning each client by default uses only a single core of the CPU, and subsequent clients will choose the next in line. If you have a dual core CPU, then your first client would use core 1, second client core 2, third client core 1, fourth client core 2, etc etc.
Having a processor that has as many cores available as you plan to have clients running is ideal.

In regards to GPU a 2060 is probably well beyond the bounds of "necessary", though if you're doing other things other than EQ a 2060 likely wouldn't hurt.

With it all said and done, I think the 16 gigs of DDR4 will be more than you need for 6 clients WAY more than you need at 32 gigs, the GPU as a 2060 will be more than you need for 6 clients, and the CPU shouldn't have any issues with 8 cores right out of the box with the quoted stats. Increasing the memory shouldn't be necessary. I can't see you being displeased with the system you purchased.

Good to know, thanks. Yup i meant 12 gigs of ram

Tech - computer specs question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back