• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Computer build question (1 Viewer)

S

Samwise00

I’m currently boxing 6 toons and want to be able to bring them to raid and possibly expand the crew if I can farm enough Kronos. I don’t know much about computer specs but would this build be able to handle it very well?

I think your problem can be solved in two parts, hardware and software. You need to tweak EQ in order to bear raid lag, like hide corpses or hide names, edit eqclient.ini, etc - that would be the software side. As for Hardware any moderm hardware can do the trick especially you only running 6 toons. The setup you link IMO way overkill.

Auto-follow - Try raising the background FPS to 15-20 in the eq graphics menu settings. You'd get a lot of value out of mq2eqwire if you haven't tried that yet too. It turns off rendering for background toons while increasing overall performance.

Also consider using other follow methods like mq2nav which doesn't really care about distance/follow. It just runs each toon on their own path. Even my clunker computer can handle running 6 guys across a zone if I've got a "/nav" to loc or a toon that's already there.

For your specs, I'd probably drop to a lower graphics card unless you're using it for other games or really want to have EQ at max settings all the time. For running a lot of toons, pure memory is the main trick. Allow 1 GB for each toon you want to add, plus a little cushion for win10's memory hog stuff.

For raiding, you could downgrade some models to classic ones or even run stickfigures. This saves a lot of graphics resources.

Auto-follow - Try raising the background FPS to 15-20 in the eq graphics menu settings. You'd get a lot of value out of mq2eqwire if you haven't tried that yet too. It turns off rendering for background toons while increasing overall performance.

Also consider using other follow methods like mq2nav which doesn't really care about distance/follow. It just runs each toon on their own path. Even my clunker computer can handle running 6 guys across a zone if I've got a "/nav" to loc or a toon that's already there.

For your specs, I'd probably drop to a lower graphics card unless you're using it for other games or really want to have EQ at max settings all the time. For running a lot of toons, pure memory is the main trick. Allow 1 GB for each toon you want to add, plus a little cushion for win10's memory hog stuff.

For raiding, you could downgrade some models to classic ones or even run stickfigures. This saves a lot of graphics resources.
When I get home Saturday I’ll try mq2eqwire out. I run everything on low settings and my character models are set to the old ones already(I’ve always like the old models to begin with).

Mq2eqWire is very good, basically clients in the background cause no drag on the graphics card, it's very effective. The bottleneck then becomes RAM and CPU, allow for about 1gb per client, can reduce this further by turning off luclin character models. There are probably some other tuneups you can make to reduce CPU load, I haven't gone that far yet as it hasn't been an issue for me.

Mq2eqWire is very good, basically clients in the background cause no drag on the graphics card, it's very effective. The bottleneck then becomes RAM and CPU, allow for about 1gb per client, can reduce this further by turning off luclin character models. There are probably some other tuneups you can make to reduce CPU load, I haven't gone that far yet as it hasn't been an issue for me.
yea it sounds like I need to Upgrade my ram. Should I have messed with the affinity’s in the eq.ini. File?

3700x 2070rtx 64gb ram everything is liquid cooled
I do not run EQwire, all models set to oldschool but ogre. background FPS is set to 30, no core affinity and no issues running 30+
On average most I see is my CPU hitting 40% memory being around 50% and gpu is usually like 10-15% usage
Normally discord, obs, and firefox open as well. Also a few background things like my keyboard and mouse stuff.

3700x 2070rtx 64gb ram everything is liquid cooled
I do not run EQwire, all models set to oldschool but ogre. background FPS is set to 30, no core affinity and no issues running 30+
On average most I see is my CPU hitting 40% memory being around 50% and gpu is usually like 10-15% usage
Normally discord, obs, and firefox open as well. Also a few background things like my keyboard and mouse stuff.
Would the motherboard I have in that link support 4 sticks of 16gb ram?

EQ is a 21 year old game. The computer you have linked is over kill. The most important thing to have is ram and an Solid State Harddrive (SSD).

not true really. The biggest benefit to going with newer components is efficiency especially power and less heat generation. For comparisons sake.

Intel 2700k has a TDP of 95w it will use more of that CPU to 6 box then a 3700x would at a TDP of 65w. The 1700x from AMD is also 95w and I have one right here when 6 boxing it uses substantially more of the CPU compared to the 3700x.

There is a vast leap in performance and efficiency when going from 1700x to 3700x. Do yourself a favor go with the 3700x.

Your build is good the only thing i would change is double the ram to 32gb, that will be more than enough. 16 should be enough too but could be scraping it in.

As a generic question, would you guys say a new computer thats an I5 with 32 BG ram or an I7 with 16 GB ram would be better for boxing needs? I'm trying to figure out what i can afford to box a few more characters.

could save yourself some cash if all you are doing is playing EQ and pick up this

buddy and his roomate both picked this up and they are pretty good, id upgrade to 32 or 64 gigs of ram if you plan on going more than 12 characters.

My setup is
i7 8700k
z370 a pro from mis
32 gigs of ddr4 2400
and a 1080 TI
I can run 30 characters at once, but ram becomes an issue since almost each instance will take up just about 1 gig on startup but I use a program called Moo0 that allows me to get rid of most of the ram usage on each instance.

Tech - Computer build question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back