• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Computer Build help (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,085¢
I need a new budget desktop computer that will run maximum 18 clients for EQ. I have a budget or around $750. I know most computers will do this but it’s a little slow zoning, loading clients and the fan is always on high on my current system.
I was looking at Pcpartpicker.com for ideas.
Anyone have any ideas, builds or thoughts?

I need a new budget desktop computer that will run maximum 18 clients for EQ. I have a budget or around $750. I know most computers will do this but it’s a little slow zoning, loading clients and the fan is always on high on my current system.
I was looking at Pcpartpicker.com for ideas.
Anyone have any ideas, builds or thoughts?

EQ is pretty CPU intensive, with obviously some graphics, I'd go with the best core count and hyperthreading you can buy, I'd try for a Ryzen 7 if your budget can stretch, if not, then a Ryzen 5, and as much memory as you can fit in

Not sure your comfort level but I run 24 on an old hp dl380g6 with a cheapo graphics card...16 core xeons runs eq like a champ. its louder then a monkey screaming at a banana but cheap. Probably could get on ebay for less the $200. I've ran a full 54 on it with no issues all be it optimized. Again its not for everyone but thought I'd mention it as an option for yah...

Isn’t a HP DL380 a server? Yeah I am pretty sure we used 380s and 580s back in the day... the 380 is the 2U size right? Yeah those are pretty loud. You don’t notice in a data center but build one in a lab and they are loud. That’s pretty neat, never thought of servers for EQ.

I can run 18+ on a ryzen 5 gen 3 at 70% CPU load. I think my build cost 900 ish, could possibly knock off a few bucks by going with a entry level MB and less RAM (i went with 32G, way overkill). I did look at CPU parts for cyber monday (for shits and giggles) and prices seem to be artificially inflated atm.

This is why I love AMD. if you have an AMD machine now, with am3+ or 4 socket, you can just buy an 18 or 24 core CPU and pop it in. It's best on AM4 socket of course, but it'll even work in an am2 assuming the bios will work

The 24 core 2 weeks ago when I built a new machine, was exactly your budget at newegg

You can get I think a 12 core, maybe even 16 iirc, AM4, mobo, and 32 or 64 gigs of RAM for about 750 also if you reuse the other parts.

This plus a $400 vid card, and $200 each case, psu, and SSD were what I built for hubby's new machine, but it was all overkill for him, it's also a system(due to the mobo specifically) he can upgrade for years to come..quadrupling his ram, more or better vid card, and up to 2 more m.2 and pci SSD's. If you can splurge on the mobo and still reach your goals, do it. The mobo determines future upgrade capacity so you won't have to replace everything next time.

Last edited:
Since this thread last night I've been looking at older refurbished server hardware. I totally forgot that you could get server grade hardware that wasn't rack mount... I also didn't know that you could get small racks that were only like 4U-6U which is pretty awesome too. It doesn't look too difficult to take server hardware and repurpose it for gaming (would probably want to take something like that and dual purpose it... maybe NAS or media server or something).

Since I went all Apple hardware at home I haven't had this sort of fun looking at gear. I might have to look at server stuff for home and use the 'need it for work' excuse with the warden. Thanks!

Not sure your comfort level but I run 24 on an old hp dl380g6 with a cheapo graphics card...16 core xeons runs eq like a champ. its louder then a monkey screaming at a banana but cheap. Probably could get on ebay for less the $200. I've ran a full 54 on it with no issues all be it optimized. Again its not for everyone but thought I'd mention it as an option for yah...
You can get one with 2x6 core processors on Ebay for $70. Ram is not the cheapest, but still not bad. Toss in a garbo video card and you can have a 24 thread/96gb monster for $200-$300.

budget system - try an salvage your case ,power supply and hard drive if you do this and are a capable builder , can go for a ryzen 7 2700 or 27xx series 250 ish , 32 gigs of ram under 150 if your not picky , should be able to pull a descent mobo like a 450 series for around 150 , and can pull a radeon 5500 series with 8gb of built in ram on it for about 190 @best buy that will put you around your 750 limit with good internals . you can also look at stuff on microcenter.com they have some good deals too , i used to use new egg and tiger direct and places like that but lately they just suck , micro center is pretty good , their in store deals are crazy if your close to one . ohh and @RYN227 yes they will , i don't run on that but a friend runs 6 on his

It may be a budget killer but lately my #1 factor in buying any PC hardware is that it MUST support a M.2 SSD. Everything else pales in significance to having super fast disk I/O.

EDIT: Just to clarify, M.2 is a just a physical form factor, I should have been more explicit. You not only want a M.2 form factor you want an NVMe interface for the fastest transfer rates as opposed to SATA!

Last edited:
You can get one with 2x6 core processors on Ebay for $70. Ram is not the cheapest, but still not bad. Toss in a garbo video card and you can have a 24 thread/96gb monster for $200-$300.

Yup and this guy shows how to put a full size graphics card in one
Here

You can also get one with no proc and buy them separately. I got two Intel Xeon processor X5670 (2.93 GHz, 12MB L3 Cache, 95 W, DDR3-1333, HT, Turbo 2/2/3/3) which is the biggest proc they take for like 30 bucks total. Gives you 24 cores to play with...

Bought two of these 6 or 7 years ago for $500. a piece for the purpose of boxing eq, can run up to 30 toons each. Upgraded them to 16GB RAM. Go for less than $200. a piece now. Still using them today. Keep the dust cleaned out of them and they run like a champ.
HP Pavilion 500-281 Desktop PC Intel i3-4130 3.4GHz 8GB RAM 1TB HDD

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 15
Bought two of these 6 or 7 years ago for $500. a piece for the purpose of boxing eq, can run up to 30 toons each. Upgraded them to 16GB RAM. Go for less than $200. a piece now. Still using them today. Keep the dust cleaned out of them and they run like a champ.
HP Pavilion 500-281 Desktop PC Intel i3-4130 3.4GHz 8GB RAM 1TB HDD
Gotta say that's interesting. I've always built with AMD myself, and when I compare my machines with others I've acquired with otherwise better specs, but Intel, the Intel ones always perform worse for me in eq. I probably have graphics higher than yall, but I'm only running 1 acct on each Intel machine, and graphics are just as high or higher in the AMDs. Of course these are older not newer machines and amd's GPU helps...which is why I wonder about the same concept with AMD servers instead.

I went through a guide about using the lowest resources possible for eq even down to running stick figures on one machine, on the main machine i use a seperate eq folder for my main toon that doesnt' use stickfigures. In any event over the years the resources used got a little higher and I started using the mq2eqwire plugin and it helped with some memory use. (also) I didn't build these other than throwing extra memory in them.

I went through a guide about using the lowest resources possible for eq even down to running stick figures on one machine, on the main machine i use a seperate eq folder for my main toon that doesnt' use stickfigures. In any event over the years the resources used got a little higher and I started using the mq2eqwire plugin and it helped with some memory use. (also) I didn't build these other than throwing extra memory in them.
That's something I need to do, bit I couldn't live with stock figures or even old char models. I do hate shadows and don't care about lighting or old water or sky reflection, so long as my gamma is set so I can see, and I can see shinies on the ground from a distance. But, I set the graphics higher than I used to on this machine because I wasn't boxing and wanted to see what it could do...never got around to turning stuff back down

Tech - Computer Build help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back