• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Cheapest computer to load 54 toons on live? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
394¢
Hi. I have an HP Elitedesk Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz and 32 gb of ram. With the i5 chip, I can really only load 18-20 before it starts to get laggy. I am using mq2wire. Should I be able to load more with this setup? I'm curious about loading up 54 toons to do old raids. Does anyone have any suggestions of cheap computers? Would an i7 chip be enough to load 54? I assume at this point I will need 64 gb of ram. Should I use a second computer and just box half the raid on each? Thanks!!

I can do 54 with an AMD 2700x and 64gbs of ram. 32 really aint enough. So say a 5800x or 5900x would be great. if you're an intel fan you can go wtih one of the 8 core i7s i guess but AMD is probably better for this. If you want to future proof it some just go with the 5950x or 3950x I can load over 120 on them with 128gbs of ram. GPU wise doesnt matter with next. For a reference. I got 20 groups running on a 3950x using 58% of the CPU (it spikes up some if toons are zoning).

100% go with mqnext the framelimiter is above and beyond worth it.

Thanks for all the advice! Does MQNext help with RAM requirements too or just CPU?

It will reduce GPU % to 0 on all background clients if you turn render off without any impact on toon performance. It also reduces CPU usage on them toons.

Honestly you might be able to run 54 on a 5800G even and not have to buy a GPU for it with next since the CPU has one.

I think it's also important to make the modifications to your eqclient.ini to bump down all the graphics settings to low on boxes you don't expect to be looking at much. Plenty of threads here on redguides (https://www.redguides.com/community...mance-and-multiple-clients.78027/#post-474679) with guides like this: http://ezserver.online/forums/index.php?topic=2988.0 (you don't have to go as far as the stick figures)

For upgrading your current system definitely look into going from 32GB -> 64 GB of ram first. Maybe see if you can just buy 64 GB of new RAM and put it in. That way if it doesn't get you where you want, you can still use that RAM when upgrading the whole system.

@Phalanx I'd suggest moving to Next over using MQ2 as your first step, I had dramatically wonderful changes. Older I7 with only 16 Gb I am now running 10+ great (from only 6 not great before) and I Just started using it, so I'm actually not done adding more guys online.

What @eqplayer16 said, look to see if upgrading the ram in your current system is cost effective over buying a new system. It might be. But also.....Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales are right about a month away. I'm a lover of RedGuides so a big pusher of 'Hey guys I found a good sale, here lookee', hopefully we'll start a thread soon with good sales for those of us who want a treat for more boxes on or smoother happy playtime. If you can wait one month and plan how much you want to spend, you'll have a new system with a ton more ram, etc.

@william12 /Gorrsshhhh I don't even have a third of your army, but I sure like imagining you as my RG Willy Wonka. :) I can start like Charlie, but will become Augstus Gloop. :P

If anyone was still looking.

I can load 10-12 groups after putting 64gbs of ram in this. Total cost with SSD and ram $900 and its tiny. I mounted it on the back of my monitor. Zero heating issues with 12 groups the thing is at 55c using 15w (im using a 3rd party ryzen controller) app to limit TDP to 15W total.

Hi. I have an HP Elitedesk Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz and 32 gb of ram. With the i5 chip, I can really only load 18-20 before it starts to get laggy. I am using mq2wire. Should I be able to load more with this setup? I'm curious about loading up 54 toons to do old raids. Does anyone have any suggestions of cheap computers? Would an i7 chip be enough to load 54? I assume at this point I will need 64 gb of ram. Should I use a second computer and just box half the raid on each? Thanks!!
I am rocking MqNext, Lenovo T430 laptop dual core with 16GB ram. With the built in framelimiter all the way I can log in about 30 before performance starts to suffer. This laptop is ancient, dual core old i5 maybe…unkillable box. You can pick these up on craigslist for like $30-100 and just buy cheap ram for em…wont let you down

Last edited:
If anyone was still looking.

I can load 10-12 groups after putting 64gbs of ram in this. Total cost with SSD and ram $900 and its tiny. I mounted it on the back of my monitor. Zero heating issues with 12 groups the thing is at 55c using 15w (im using a 3rd party ryzen controller) app to limit TDP to 15W total.

These go on sale for $540 without memory and SSD from time to time.

$60 OFF : 9757X831FHS3 —— HX90 / X400-4650 available

@william12 @Overtimer What memory are you guys putting in these machines? I am going to pick one up in a few days here.
They use laptop memory so

IRL - Cheapest computer to load 54 toons on live?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back