• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Can't decide: PL myself(SK/Dru) or just get Heroics (1 Viewer)

ToeJamSamy

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
574¢
Making...well, levelling up.. 2 baby rogues (<lvl10) I've had for a while to add dps to use with this program and make my group more efficient(and hopefully ditch all mercs). I haven't even DLd or set up the program yet because I'm going to get the $ for the heroics and such tomorrow, but then I started wondering if I should even bother with that, subs, or preorders just yet. I used to PL toons for fun all the time, very similar to some strats posted in this forum except after BFM I'd move to crypt of nadox, then usually PoI(to farm parts for AOAAs at the time) before finally moving to fort mech, then kaesora library for swarming. I did test and swarming for this purpose is still perfectly great despite any nerfs they've done(I've been gone several years) at least through Heart of Fear.

I thought I'd come look here before deciding, to see if there was a power levelling guide that was more program specific, but saw it's level2 access only so I'm back to where I started. Do I spend the $35 apiece (2 toons) to save time and get them immediately groupable with my 110+ toons, and have some autogrants, gear, and all their discs ready to go, or do I take the time to PL them and learn the program in the process? Should I sub their accounts first?(if I buy anything I figure I should for the discount since it'll only be a couple days' difference) Or, should I wait til they're 85, keep autogrant off, and try to farm as many aas/bank as many as I can before I either sub or pop a Kronos for them? Should I bother preordering just yet? Or will they be just fine for a while as silver? I figure the preorder XP pots would definitely help, and the ultimate goal is to get caught back up and be self-sufficient to begin CoV at launch, so maybe preorder is a good idea, but then again I'd have to sub first for the discounts.

I'm still deciding exactly how I want to set up the program as I use multiple machines, but was thinking of only using it on my main one, while continuing to play the others as I always have. Then, I started thinking maybe I should hook my healer up as well since I hate healing and she'll be essential without mercs. I'm not worried about the setup and macros when needing adjustment as I learned a lot setting up and then modifying my own emu server a couple years back, I just can't seem to decide what order I should do things in and what I should or shouldn't do myself, like the PL.

I can't quite tell due to wording either, whether I need to upgrade to level 2 to even get the VV or KISS plugins or if that's just for the specific forums access. And without seeing the content, just the titles, IDK if it'd be advantageous for me to sub just for the forums at this point or not. I've found many basic guides for setup without even logging in, wasn't until I tried reading a couple PLing posts that I found I was blocked.

I'm new here myself so I don't know anything about the software yet. As far as the power leveling or heroics, that depends on where you are financially. It basically just comes down to the time commitment vs financial cost. So its how you value your time. That being said, its not a waste to level toons yourself, get to know them etc. Personally I like using heroics. I hope that helps.

I'm new here myself so I don't know anything about the software yet. As far as the power leveling or heroics, that depends on where you are financially. It basically just comes down to the time commitment vs financial cost. So its how you value your time. That being said, its not a waste to level toons yourself, get to know them etc. Personally I like using heroics. I hope that helps.
That's the thing, I've powerlevelled and played rogues before, just can't do account transfers at this time so I cant use any I already have at 85+ unless I replace my usual toons, and that defeats the purpose of adding 2 melee dps to my setup. Timewise, the levelling is nothing for me, I've done it a hundred times or more, but there's always annoying things to track down like their discs, several quests they will have auto-completed as heroics, and they get 2 decent bags too, and the gear (which I probably have laying around from my other chain classes and Hero's Journey rewards) That only takes a couple days, and I'm not exactly busy right now on EQ, but the annoyance factor it eliminates weighed against the cost and opportunity to familiarize myself with the software in the process...that's what I can't decide really.

It's looking like I'll have to sub to the site to even use the software anyway the way it appears though, unless I'm missing something, so that would cut in a bit on Heroic money, but, I don't even need the program to do the PLing, unless someone can tell me a reason that it's 10x easier and better (since I can't read the posts about the subject, I don't know) so using the PLing as a period of adjustment to the software doesn't really work as a reason to do it myself either. If it's going to cost the same to buy a Heroic as it will to download the software and read how it may or may not make that process better, and I still have another 20-30 lvls and AA's to PL on them afterward... it seems kinda a wash. I was under the impression reading the site previously, that the basic program and functions were free and the add-ons cost extra (I have my eye on a couple of the $20 add-ons once I get the basics set) but how do I know I'll even like it? I tried out ISB a few years back when I was playing with my emu server, and I kinda hated it to be honest, but it didn't cost me anything to find that out.

I've been away from EQ for the bulk of the last 6-7 expansions, more for technical reasons than an aversion to the game, but in that time I played some phone games, and some browser games, and have no qualms spending far too much on such things, so it's not about the cost so much as buying something sight unseen. No test-drive. If I haven't sat in the driver's seat of that car, how do I know I'm not going to find it absolutely the most uncomfortable thing on the planet? I can be a bit picky. While I don't mind the spending, I hate wasting money. So now I'm even more undecided about which direction to go in here. I had an ex years ago that used it, but I never did. I saw it, but didn't experience it, and a lot has been changed and added etc since then. A ford from the 50's isn't a bad car, but you couldn't pay me to own a Ford now. How do I know if this is a Ford or a Mopar for me? I was all ready after days thinking about how I wanted to set things up, to download, install, and start messing around. Now I just have no idea. Could swear I read at least the basic program was free to download before I started thinking too in-depth, was I mistaken? Bad wording? Or am I really just blind now that I'm trying to DL it? lol

The way I like to look at it is value of time vs working minimum wage (~$7.50 here). 2 heroics that's about $70, so 10 hours of work. You can most definitely get to 85 in 10 hours, however, you also have to factor in the spells, skills, 20 slot bags, 15k plat, oh and ALL OF DON PROGRESSION DONE, which is what, 2% HP, 2% DPS increase, 5% resist anything? Something like that. Either way, that takes like a lot of work. I usually go with the heroics unless I give a grand total of 0 ****s about the toons and can watch YouTube or something while PL'ing the other toons. But if I plan on ever using them in my main group, the heroic is just so much easier.

The way I like to look at it is value of time vs working minimum wage (~$7.50 here). 2 heroics that's about $70, so 10 hours of work. You can most definitely get to 85 in 10 hours, however, you also have to factor in the spells, skills, 20 slot bags, 15k plat, oh and ALL OF DON PROGRESSION DONE, which is what, 2% HP, 2% DPS increase, 5% resist anything? Something like that. Either way, that takes like a lot of work. I usually go with the heroics unless I give a grand total of 0 ****s about the toons and can watch YouTube or something while PL'ing the other toons. But if I plan on ever using them in my main group, the heroic is just so much easier.
But is that something doable? With VV and kiss, can't it be set up to fairly easily not constantly cycle targets to hit etc etc, redo DSs, etc? Or would it take more time to set up than it would save? Can't read the posts that seem to detail such a process. I mean it wouldn't be afk, but I tend to get lost in eq chat when something is tedious so it either takes longer bc I'm distracted, or I quit and just chat lol.

Depends on how much time you are willing to put into it and whether or not you can learn how to script it if you can't find a macro that fits your needs. In my experience, no one has exactly what I am looking for, so I spend hours writing my own macros, even if one is "close enough", it's not good enough, so I spend way more time on it that I really need to (but the final result works better than anything you'd find for free or even pay for).

If you have programming/scripting knowledge, you'll find it easier, if you don't then you're kinda stuck using other people's stuff until you learn. So even just a simple "cycle targets, redo DS" macro could take you 10 hours if you're just starting out, trying to learn all of the TLO's and what not. Buying the heroic is generally the best thing IMHO unless you really want to learn how to do it (feels good to learn).

I agree with boxbuddy. to add on a little bit. i have no formal training in coding or computer mumbo jumbo whatsoever. that being said i find it very enjoyable learning the "language" and modifying scripts and .ini's to fit my toons. Once i get my main couple of toons running then i can spend the "boring" grind time learning how different people make scripts work and new commands for the .ini files that i can explore.
it's kinda like a lot of people that are NOT mechanics enjoy building or tinkering with old cars. If you NEED a car right now though it's obviously best to just go buy one.

have fun!

Some good points about coding, and time. I'm not sure what language it's all in, but what I've seen did look pretty familiar. No formal training either myself, but I did a LOT of trial and error and research to create and fill in the blanks etc on my emu server when I had it. At the same time- I had a lot of impatience and frustration just getting the server up and running to begin with. Once it was the coding was fun and fairly easy to learn if you're any good at syntax. That initial hump of getting started though...this looks more involved to start with, but I have a feeling it's easier and that's a good thing.

Unless there is a way to buy a heroic without using DBG cash, you have to buy more DBG cash than the heroic costs. So you end up $45 per heroic. Normally you can find someone on your server doing 1-85 pl for 1 krono.

Yeah don't count on there EVER being account transfers again. That ship sailed.

I am tight with my money. No Heroic's unless DBG gave them to me in a anniversary or something. Make sure your old account doesn't show a green "upgrade" button on character screen - you may have a heroic laying around somewhere.

I start with F2P or a Silver if I have room on an account. Like you said you can't transfer your guys on that old one but you could make Silver characters on it on different servers.

Its very very easy to level up to 85 and I seldom even buy the spells during the leveling. When my alts hit around 80 and up I will get them a few spells. After all my high level guy is doing all the PL for them.

My first investment (for casters) is to buy the RK II spell thing in the marketplace during the time they are Silver or F2P. You cannot buy it or even see it there on paid accounts. Once you buy it then it marks your character do be able to cast RK II. But to SCRIBE those RK II you need to be paid ....so

I pop a krono on them, buy all their spells and auto grant. After that krono wears off they will be able to cast RK II when they go back to non paid because I bought that RK II thing earlier. And as a bonus folks on here have proven using a krono will allow the account to go back to Silver instead of just F2P. You can keep all the AA you got either thru auto grant or earning during that month.

I have used Heroic upgrades that were given free but I just seem to prefer getting to know my characters in the early levels so I have a better understanding of how I want to play them.

I just started a new toon a few days ago. Went heroic because I can't be bothered to start at lvl 1 right now. Just stick them in a group and let the xp flow in.

Making...well, levelling up.. 2 baby rogues (<lvl10) I've had for a while to add dps to use with this program and make my group more efficient(and hopefully ditch all mercs). I haven't even DLd or set up the program yet because I'm going to get the $ for the heroics and such tomorrow, but then I started wondering if I should even bother with that, subs, or preorders just yet. I used to PL toons for fun all the time, very similar to some strats posted in this forum except after BFM I'd move to crypt of nadox, then usually PoI(to farm parts for AOAAs at the time) before finally moving to fort mech, then kaesora library for swarming. I did test and swarming for this purpose is still perfectly great despite any nerfs they've done(I've been gone several years) at least through Heart of Fear.

I thought I'd come look here before deciding, to see if there was a power levelling guide that was more program specific, but saw it's level2 access only so I'm back to where I started. Do I spend the $35 apiece (2 toons) to save time and get them immediately groupable with my 110+ toons, and have some autogrants, gear, and all their discs ready to go, or do I take the time to PL them and learn the program in the process? Should I sub their accounts first?(if I buy anything I figure I should for the discount since it'll only be a couple days' difference) Or, should I wait til they're 85, keep autogrant off, and try to farm as many aas/bank as many as I can before I either sub or pop a Kronos for them? Should I bother preordering just yet? Or will they be just fine for a while as silver? I figure the preorder XP pots would definitely help, and the ultimate goal is to get caught back up and be self-sufficient to begin CoV at launch, so maybe preorder is a good idea, but then again I'd have to sub first for the discounts.

I'm still deciding exactly how I want to set up the program as I use multiple machines, but was thinking of only using it on my main one, while continuing to play the others as I always have. Then, I started thinking maybe I should hook my healer up as well since I hate healing and she'll be essential without mercs. I'm not worried about the setup and macros when needing adjustment as I learned a lot setting up and then modifying my own emu server a couple years back, I just can't seem to decide what order I should do things in and what I should or shouldn't do myself, like the PL.

I can't quite tell due to wording either, whether I need to upgrade to level 2 to even get the VV or KISS plugins or if that's just for the specific forums access. And without seeing the content, just the titles, IDK if it'd be advantageous for me to sub just for the forums at this point or not. I've found many basic guides for setup without even logging in, wasn't until I tried reading a couple PLing posts that I found I was blocked.

Given that you’ve already got your routine down regards powerlevelling, I’d just powerlevel those toons from scratch doing whatever you normally do, then get them in your group and learn how to use MQ2 once they are there. You’ll spend significantly more time at end game than you would investing time in that initial levelling process. And things will change so much from 85-115 with those toons, it’s probably not worth investing too much time playing around with routine. Once you get to 110+ that’s when you really start to get the hang of how things work with some consistency because less things change.

I started off with a three box, sk, shaman, bard originally, then I added three toons around the time I started using mq2. I damage shield powerlevelled the second three to 85, then grouped them up in places like FM, TBM heroics and GMM until they were geared up and max level. I didn’t introduce them into the actual fighting till around 105 ish.

If you have access to a high level sk and Druid, spending money on heroics seems a bit pointless to me.

Discussion - Can't decide: PL myself(SK/Dru) or just get Heroics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back