• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Are people surprised you play EQ based on your day job? 🧐 (1 Viewer)

Had a company sell then signed a non compete and moved several states away. Now I work in advertising. I imagine my coworkers would be shocked that I played video games. Eq is the only game I play.

Funny thing is most teenagers wouldn't touch eq. It's not graphic enough and too complex for them. Games have gotten really dumbed down over the years
I actually created an account for my son WAAAAAAY back when he was an early teenager (about 7 yrs ago). I created two characters that I thought would be easy enough for him to learn on and see if he liked the game; a Warrior and an SK.

He played for about a week, but he did it mostly to appease me, not because he liked the game. He moved on to whatever shooter was popular at the time (one of the Call of Duty's I'm sure).

That SK is now my "new main" running my group of whatever other five toons I put in with him at the time. 😋

My daughter played, once, when she was 4 I made her a frog warrior. She wanted a surname so she spent 2 hrs grinding to 20, got her name, and never played again. Now she plays God knows what on her phone while yelling obscenities at the other ppl she plays with(18now)

I am general counsel for a large conglomerate. Played college ball, competed for years nationally in bodybuilding. I am a huge nerd, literally and metaphorically. People never expect that I play MMO PC games or that I am an attorney for that matter. Especially since I look like a shaved head Cro-Magnon.

I am general counsel for a large conglomerate. Played college ball, competed for years nationally in bodybuilding. I am a huge nerd, literally and metaphorically. People never expect that I play MMO PC games or that I am an attorney for that matter. Especially since I look like a shaved head Cro-Magnon.
Was nationally qualified (NPC) once but I got sidetracked. That was after several other occupations of similar virility(I'm a chick btw) and before a couple others.

The one "career" I've held that wasn't highly physical was the one that would point right to gaming: I built custom gaming machines just before the liquidcooling era.

While I enjoy building computers, it's all the other occupations I've held that I miss. Guess that and my unactualized wish to be a coroner, a vampire, or a serial killer, are why I've always mained an SK :-)

I'm the assistant to the general manager at a local business (The Office reference). We have about 40 co-workers, at a Christmas party this very conversation came up. Everyone had the standard CoD, Fortnite etc. When I mentioned I play EQ they all called me out and said I was just trying to top their stories. A few of them talked about seeing their dads or parents play EQ when they were kids. I explained that I have played on and off for 20+ years, they couldn't believe it! Three of them have started to play and have dragged their parents back into the game. Life if good

I'm the assistant to the general manager at a local business (The Office reference). We have about 40 co-workers, at a Christmas party this very conversation came up. Everyone had the standard CoD, Fortnite etc. When I mentioned I play EQ they all called me out and said I was just trying to top their stories. A few of them talked about seeing their dads or parents play EQ when they were kids. I explained that I have played on and off for 20+ years, they couldn't believe it! Three of them have started to play and have dragged their parents back into the game. Life if good
...but have you gotten them to start raiding yet is the real question.

I dont really have friends these days and I am self employed so just talk to myself 😀.
So now is pnly a few people I talk about it with outside of game .
Funny enough i was playing a game last night and was some dude I had as a friend on steam came in don't know him outside of that game
He said what you been upto for last 2 years I said I went back to everquest he was shocked it still running I was shocked he knew what it was as was totally different genre of game he plays

I'm the lead burrito roller at Taco Bell so no they're not surprised lol
So how hard it that? I mean I live in the Southwest where burritos were born and I am still amazed that some of those folks do not know how to roll a burrito. Do you guys have "burrito school" like Mcdonalds has "french fry school"

work in a second hand store(goodwill) in my state. i work in the part that takes donations for people. out of 7 of use in that part. only 2 are not young enough to be my kids. we talk bout games now and then some have tried eq but they say the graphics are to bad for them(they like the game play though) and are surprised the game is as old as it is.

So how hard it that? I mean I live in the Southwest where burritos were born and I am still amazed that some of those folks do not know how to roll a burrito. Do you guys have "burrito school" like Mcdonalds has "french fry school"
no burrito school but i did roll a lot of joints when i was younger just with burritos you have to remember to tuck the ends lol

My daughter played, once, when she was 4 I made her a frog warrior. She wanted a surname so she spent 2 hrs grinding to 20, got her name, and never played again. Now she plays God knows what on her phone while yelling obscenities at the other ppl she plays with(18now)
My son saw me playing WoW long ago and wanted to play. He wanted a pet, so I made $PETCLASS and got it to whatever level you needed for your first pet. He refused to leave the newbie area. He just liked running around whacking bozos with his pet.

I played EQ first as a college student, then as a med student, an officer in the Navy, then graduate student, then post-doc, then faculty member. At every stage, some are surprised, some are shocked, some are confused, but most have no idea what EQ is.

Was nationally qualified (NPC) once but I got sidetracked. That was after several other occupations of similar virility(I'm a chick btw) and before a couple others.

The one "career" I've held that wasn't highly physical was the one that would point right to gaming: I built custom gaming machines just before the liquidcooling era.

While I enjoy building computers, it's all the other occupations I've held that I miss. Guess that and my unactualized wish to be a coroner, a vampire, or a serial killer, are why I've always mained an SK :-)
That is awesome.

What class did you compete in?

I have held various jobs through my schooling - from throwing boxes at UPS night shift to working at Walmart... (I won't speak of the PTSD from black fridays there).

That is awesome.

What class did you compete in?

I have held various jobs through my schooling - from throwing boxes at UPS night shift to working at Walmart... (I won't speak of the PTSD from black fridays there).
Just Figure, Tall. Was pretty awesome I thought actually, my first competition ever, went to the midatlantic regionals, with an infant(I left the baby at home lol) and walked away first place for my class. Unless you wanna juice or you're a midget, takes a lot more muscle mass for a chick, more than for tall dudes cause that stupid hormone b.s. lol. But, that's why there is the figure class(same as fitness modeling but on stage lol) now the fitness competitors..yeah, I'm not a gymnast..just an intense psycho :) I'll never understand this mindset broads get thinking they're gonna look like a dude if they try to put on muscle, cause if they don't already look like a dude, they're never gonna naturally put on enough muscle to either. Won't get into the other similar occupations as the sum total would be a dead giveaway who I am, but it's really hard not to bring them up dammit

Just Figure, Tall. Was pretty awesome I thought actually, my first competition ever, went to the midatlantic regionals, with an infant(I left the baby at home lol) and walked away first place for my class. Unless you wanna juice or you're a midget, takes a lot more muscle mass for a chick, more than for tall dudes cause that stupid hormone b.s. lol. But, that's why there is the figure class(same as fitness modeling but on stage lol) now the fitness competitors..yeah, I'm not a gymnast..just an intense psycho :) I'll never understand this mindset broads get thinking they're gonna look like a dude if they try to put on muscle, cause if they don't already look like a dude, they're never gonna naturally put on enough muscle to either. Won't get into the other similar occupations as the sum total would be a dead giveaway who I am, but it's really hard not to bring them up dammit

I always just shake my head at females that think they are going to turn into dudes by lifting a few weights.

I competed at around 285-290. The last show I did was Nationals in Pittsburgh. I probably had a decent shot at going pro, if I had stuck with it. But, I was concerned about health at that point and where mine was going on top of finishing law school and getting married.

I am nobody famous or notable, so I could list everything and nobody would have a clue haha. I prefer it that way.

I'm the lead burrito roller at Taco Bell so no they're not surprised lol
If this is true, I love you. I fucking love taco bell and their burritos. Well, my favorite is the cheesey gordita crunch, but damn if (when they were a thing) was the grilled stuffed burrito a close second.

I always just shake my head at females that think they are going to turn into dudes by lifting a few weights.

I competed at around 285-290. The last show I did was Nationals in Pittsburgh. I probably had a decent shot at going pro, if I had stuck with it. But, I was concerned about health at that point and where mine was going on top of finishing law school and getting married.

I am nobody famous or notable, so I could list everything and nobody would have a clue haha. I prefer it that way.
Ha..my regional was in Erie and I think all dried out I was at 118 lol

My specific combination of oddball professions is well-known on my server by anyone that played back when I was still raiding, and it is in no way a likely combo, particularly for my gender lol. So odd such that I had virtual knockdown drag-out fights with lazy stupid broads in the day that didn't believe a woman COULD(or would, idk) do all those things..I guess..but that was mainly with a 5' tall 400lber who claimed if she ate 500calories a day she gained weight.

I guess any 1 of those named or unnamed things could sound a little ..boisterous? or something, (since most are literally what all little kids say they want to be when they grow up other than an astronaut) from someone on the other side of the internet, but to pile them all on AND be at that point a severe eqcrackhead lmao(I worked 40hrs in 3days/wk and spent nearly every other waking minute playing- but to be fair, that 40hrsin3days was basically as a professional athlete, and that was years after I did NPC and everything else physical), I guess it could be pretty unbelievable to anyone that didn't flatout KNOW me. It didn't matter to lazyasslardbuttbitch that I had lived with 2 different people in our guild..or theyd lived with me whatever. People that actually hold the occupations that seem larger than life to most people's 9-5s, sometimes don't really exist to people that aren't in proximity to any such jobs irl I guess.

It’s funny my dad who got me into Everquest when I was about 10 years old to farm for him can’t believe I’m playing this game again. He doesn’t even want to try to get back into it. He can’t stand the UI. I’m glad I got back into it. Enjoying it a lot especially multi boxing.

I remember when I was 10, him going to work and telling me to sit here and farm this mob every time it’s spawned. Little did I know I was farming an illusion mask for his bard. Haha.

I first started playing EQ when I was 14 in '99 and somehow I always find my way back. I was a gamer before that and outside of the military I've always been gaming. A lot of people seem genuinely surprised I am a gamer in general, let alone an old MMO like EQ. I work in a high stress blue collar field and it's just not a common occurrence to stumble across people into tech and gaming as a hobby. The reactions I get is usually "You don't look the type" or "I used to play Smash is college". My favorite responses by far have to be some women I've met who are utterly horrified when they find out I'm a gamer. Like listen miss, you're a single mother of 3 from 3 in your 30s, lets not go throwing stones about hobbies when there are so many spicier things I could assume based on your obvious hobbies.

I first started playing EQ when I was 14 in '99 and somehow I always find my way back. I was a gamer before that and outside of the military I've always been gaming. A lot of people seem genuinely surprised I am a gamer in general, let alone an old MMO like EQ. I work in a high stress blue collar field and it's just not a common occurrence to stumble across people into tech and gaming as a hobby. The reactions I get is usually "You don't look the type" or "I used to play Smash is college". My favorite responses by far have to be some women I've met who are utterly horrified when they find out I'm a gamer. Like listen miss, you're a single mother of 3 from 3 in your 30s, lets not go throwing stones about hobbies when there are so many spicier things I could assume based on your obvious hobbies.

Any woman that is horrified by a low-key hobby like online gaming, isn't worth their salt. That isn't a woman IMO. That is a child in a woman's body. And probably good reason why they are single in their 30's with children.

Any woman that is horrified by a low-key hobby like online gaming, isn't worth their salt. That isn't a woman IMO. That is a child in a woman's body. And probably good reason why they are single in their 30's with children.
I'm so glad my wife plays EQ with me.

As the COO of CryptoPay by Tritanpay...

Noone knows I play.

We are growing rapidly, word might get out lol.

Oh and redbot, you can now take Cryptocurrency as re-occuring payments. 😀 Probably not a lot of players though that have crypto. Well, yet.

I was the ripe old age of 32 when I started playing EQ in 99. I was/am in the Tech field so now I get some weird looks but back then I didn't. I had the same job for 20 years before I left and took a better job, but all my bosses now are at least 20 years younger than me and I am the 3rd oldest in my position...

im a new manager for a resturant, when people find out i play everquest their usual re-action is whats that?,, so i always have to explain it as, heard of world of warcraft, its very similiar to that

I am an EE so all my colleagues are pretty nerdy too. Most of them play some sort of MMO. One of them even asked me why I don’t write my own scripts. Who wants to bring their work home when they’re just trying to relax.

Director of commercial supply chain for a pharma company.
Manage a $4.2B portfolio.
MBA and post grad in data analytics.
Army vet (96-04)
Love EQ

work in a second hand store(goodwill) in my state. i work in the part that takes donations for people. out of 7 of use in that part. only 2 are not young enough to be my kids. we talk bout games now and then some have tried eq but they say the graphics are to bad for them(they like the game play though) and are surprised the game is as old as it is.
I used to work in Goodwill in the back room back..oh I guess EQ was probably just about to launch lol, however I was by far the youngest in the back, most were 40+.

Made sense to me, I mean we'd grab a kid(lol, I think the "kids" we're older than I was) from the front to help unload a big donation but they didn't go near the priceguns, except me. I guess at 19 I was an old soul when it came to thrift stores LOL(was and still is my favorite, though in this state Goodwill is a far cry from the one I used to work in, here only Salvation Army has good prices all the time, the Goodwill and ARC stores overprice a lot of stuff. Idc if it was a new donation from a retail chain, I ain't paying more at a thrift shop than I'd pay at a yard sale, ever.) Scary thing, in that old Goodwill we got this huge private donation once from some rich bitch that had Versace and shit in it, including a silk bustier with the tag still on it...for $5000.00. We priced according tostore policy: minimum 10% max 1.3 if retail price still attached, so $500.00. we had some kinda special needs lady working for us, no idea what even now bc she didn't strike me as anything particular, just stupid and naive- like some generic dumb churchlady lol, barely lower than Sheldon Cooper's mother, I.e. painfully naive... Anyway, she took it out of the LOCKED showcase to sell someone, for $5, without asking anyone, because the $500 HAD to be a mistake. I said...um why would we lock up a $5 item that wasn't dangerous?(knives got locket up etc) we didn't lock up any other clothing ever

It's so interesting to see all the military links. My brother gave me EQ as a gift in 1999 when I was stationed in Hawaii. I thought the game was great and struggled to find people that played during my time. I ended up playing with people living in Australia at the time! Phew, some late nights back then....

Now, I'm completely disabled and enjoy playing as much or as little as I want. I have so much fun exploring the features people here make, especially CWTN and Sic. I want them to know how much impact their products and work have on people who are lucky enough like me to play the game.

I've always been more introverted and enjoy my alone time so EQ is a wonderful rabbit hole I jump down and just get lost in sometimes.

I never talked about EQ at work when I was active duty. I worked for Pepsico after retiring in 2015 but we never talked about gaming. I was the location manager for the whole place so "gaming" wasn't something I ever brought up. I never played at work, ever, overseas or domestic.

Just curious if anyone else has jobs that seem to confuse people when they find out we EQ?

When I was still on Active Duty, I was fairly common for my Marines to be confused thinking that I played any type of video games, let alone EQ, ha ha. It seems that people are even more confused now that I'm an executive at Amazon - I didn't think that age or career position would ever really make a difference with a game like EQ and I'm curious if anyone else does something that makes people think twice when they find out you play.
I used to work in IT but in the past have worked as a cashier, so they thought that meant I was old and computer illiterate. But mostly, they are most surprised by my gender and age.

IRL - Are people surprised you play EQ based on your day job? 🧐

Users who are viewing this thread

Back