• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Are people surprised you play EQ based on your day job? 🧐 (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,173¢
Just curious if anyone else has jobs that seem to confuse people when they find out we EQ?

When I was still on Active Duty, I was fairly common for my Marines to be confused thinking that I played any type of video games, let alone EQ, ha ha. It seems that people are even more confused now that I'm an executive at Amazon - I didn't think that age or career position would ever really make a difference with a game like EQ and I'm curious if anyone else does something that makes people think twice when they find out you play.

A friend and I started playing again while in Oki, people were baffled that we weren't playing wow if we were going to play a game like EQ. Even now, as a boat mechanic, it confuses people.

Some of my students i talked with, asked me if i was playing some videos games, I said yes. They were pretty surprised. While they are playing dofus, or WoW as mmorpg or other games , I said them i was playing EQ (a 20+ years old game) and some were interested and went to see what it is.

I'm not sure they're surprised by the combo of my job and the game, per se. I think it's just I don't "look" or "act" like someone who plays a game like this, I am a cop and I'll see if I talk about the game at work, most are looking at my like I'm speaking alien.

I remember spending a fair amount of time on Alla from a shitty internet cafe in Iraq. Some of the other soldiers were totally confused by it, but I also know I wasn't the only one doing it.

After that, I went to work in software and it wasn't much of a surprise there.

Just curious if anyone else has jobs that seem to confuse people when they find out we EQ?

When I was still on Active Duty, I was fairly common for my Marines to be confused thinking that I played any type of video games, let alone EQ, ha ha. It seems that people are even more confused now that I'm an executive at Amazon - I didn't think that age or career position would ever really make a difference with a game like EQ and I'm curious if anyone else does something that makes people think twice when they find out you play.

Hah, let me know if you want a bug report for an annoying glitch when trying to add products from Amazon fresh into your cart.

Also, #jobplease

But seriously, I’m in a similar boat (har har) with my job, although at least what I do in the military is a little nerdy, so it’s less of a stretch.

Have had five careers since the beginning of EQ, four of them being serious. Few people understand what the appeal is and friends are still surprised when it comes up that I still play when able. EQ has been the only constant in my life even when I take breaks from it due to time constraints. Met my best friend during a meet & greet during the not so serious career, bonding over our EQ history; we work together now and every day is a blast.

But for the most part, people I tell are like
1644502280808.png

The one time I admitted to a co worker that I played EQ it turned out so did she. I guess us women all wish we were lookin like Firiona but in real life they look like Brodhas.

But I was very glad she was not on my server.

I no longer admit, but then again I no longer work 😁

I had an acquaintance that was a ranger officer and he stopped playing EQ because, according to him, non-officers played EQ and it was looked down upon for officers to engage in such activity.

I had an acquaintance that was a ranger officer and he stopped playing EQ because, according to him, non-officers played EQ and it was looked down upon for officers to engage in such activity.
It happens, but it's stupid. I've known people from all ranks who've played games. General to private. "Those who are easily swayed by others opinions are not to be trusted."

It happens, but it's stupid. I've known people from all ranks who've played games. General to private. "Those who are easily swayed by others opinions are not to be trusted."
He played cler/bst back in DODH too had top end raid duo that he let rot. Agreed @ stupid. Imagine giving up what you enjoy for the sake of image.

I don't really talk about EQ with others @ work. I don't think they would be surprised, they just wouldn't know what it means to play EQ. I do have a few people I talk to about D2R (mostly dev team people), but no one knows EQ :(.

I only talk to by brother and some other EQ players about EQ. I’m an executive, and workout a lot. I am sure they would be suprised if I said I play video games period.

they would be if they knew.. I work in a tech field, my guys talk about *nerd* stuff, I call them nerds.. they get together for tabletop gaming friday after work, plan vacations around comic cons.. I go fishing/boating on friday, take time off for deer, turkey and upland bird season.

As soldier, in operation, we do not get good computer for play in the Irak desert and the bandwidths was not unlimited. So, no EQ for month for until i start to work in Military base. Later, i got 2 full time job literally Night, Days and Week-end, a girlfriend (no kids as i know). But i have ever keep time for raiding. It was not always easy, but it was possible.

As the owner of a construction company, some might be a little surprised. It's always my new girlfriends that are the ones that are most surprised lol! The stories I could tell of the ones that would try to get me to pay attention to them instead of EQ.... Nothing quite like having a girl lay on the floor next to you while youre trying to raid pleasuring herself!

Were you a Full bird Colonel? E 2/2 and 6 years at Camp Lejune 82-88 Poisoned but still healthy, Semper Fi there Sir.

I work in operations management and had a funnyish moment kind of the opposite direction of this. I admitted to a few of my employees some years back I was playing WoW at the time. They added me on their Battle.net, and you get a notification if you're online if a friend logins in/out. Employee calls out one day, reasons being he has to be at X Y Z for some reason. So later that day I login. He must've seen the notification because I noticed he was online then about 5 mins later was unfriended 😂. Definitely made me re-evaluate talking about it and friending people who work for me. Didn't want to put him/anyone in that position.

Last edited:
As the owner of a construction company, some might be a little surprised. It's always my new girlfriends that are the ones that are most surprised lol! The stories I could tell of the ones that would try to get me to pay attention to them instead of EQ.... Nothing quite like having a girl lay on the floor next to you while youre trying to raid pleasuring herself!
I like EQ, it's been fun off and on for over 20 years.... If my woman is DTF she doesn't have to do anything other than say it to get me off this game......

Maybe that's a ranger thing? I've been a LEO for 10 years, most of the ones I work with play games in some fashion, just most of them don't get MMORPG's. However, I'd be damned if I stopped playing because someone felt a certain way about a game I was playing? Lol, what a weak person.

Former Marine as well, and I played EQ while active duty in Okinawa. I Would get done with work, hit the gym, get some chow then I was turned in to my room the rest of the night playing EQ. The weekend chaos and potential NJPs were never a fear for this gamer.

I did like going out and seeing things while in foreign countries, but with like minded chill friends. Buncha nerds in the military and I loved it.

My officer (Major) played WoW all the time. He would talk about it during work, ask people coming into the office about games and WoW specifically. Most would be taken by surprise and default to the "Marines only do physical stuff, no games or silly things" attitude, and start trashing gaming and calling WoW players losers, etc.

Boy would they be surprised when this big ole 6'6 Major would tell them how he loves WoW, and ask if he was a loser for playing it.

most people in my life think I'm speaking alien when I explain how to put air in a tire, so that's not a stretch.
Yeah and most in mine can't figure out how to do a Google search even though they spend 12hrs a day on their phones. Sister-in-law can't figure out how to pay her bills when she spends $350 a month on cigarettes instead of $25 making her own like I do, nor can she figure out how to do dishes. The idiocy of people around me just makes it more likely I'd want to spend my time in a virtual world :-)

Far as military EQ players go, I've known an inordinate number of players on active duty as well as retired.

I just spoke to a VA doctor this week.. and she asked me what is a activity I enjoy.. I naturally said a game called EverQuest. I was surprised, she knew it..played it before and stopped after Velious. She was surprised it was still going on and said she missed big raiding.

Same here and that's kind of my point with this thread, I guess. There seems to be a concept that only a certain base play video games (mostly teenagers, I would guess).
Funny thing is most teenagers wouldn't touch eq. It's not graphic enough and too complex for them. Games have gotten really dumbed down over the years

my kids want to play the game and then when they try to play they move on to fast lol
I've offered to let my nephew, whose an avid gamer, to give him one of my accounts and let him play with me. he says yes, then won't touch it. rather play fortnite or call of duty

IRL - Are people surprised you play EQ based on your day job? 🧐

Users who are viewing this thread

Back