• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Are people surprised you play EQ based on your day job? 🧐 (1 Viewer)

Hell my VA psychiatrist told me to play EQ back in the day even though I already was. Told me I needed more human interaction. 22 years later and never looked back. Let’s raid.. “120+ TOL merc/part done” channel killdashit hahah but seriously when I worked if people found out I played they usually tried it. Why the hell not real life sucks most the time and some my best friends in game and IRL play.. have a good one you psychopaths ..!!

For me, I have been playing since Beta. And still enjoy it to this day. Primarily started playing back in my 20's, when I used to DM a couple of AD&D (2nd Edition) campaigns which is what brought me to the game. Today, I have my PhD in Engineering Sciences. I own and operate my own company in the medical technology imaging field. I also am in instructor in the same field. I do get some surprising responses when I explain that I spend some of my free time playing an online game. People think I am "too proper" to play video games along with other various response patterns as to how I am "not the type". Didn't know gaming required a "type". Anyway, still here. Still having a good time. Always used this game to escape and relax. And these days I even spend time with my wife playing too. Good times!

When I was a young pup playing EQ back in 1999, I told everyone someday I was going to be a physician. Most rolled their eyes and said "What's a dude with a computer science degree going to do in medicine? You're gonna play EQ and Eve forever!" Fast forward to now, I still occasionally play EQ, I'm a physician and I help run technology for a hospital system. When folks find out I play games, it's no big deal now since gaming is mainstream. Most of the EQ crowd knew my ambitions and when I disappeared from the game, they knew where I was (studying ass off while playing WoW ;) )

Hell my VA psychiatrist told me to play EQ back in the day even though I already was. Told me I needed more human interaction. 22 years later and never looked back. Let’s raid.. “120+ TOL merc/part done” channel killdashit hahah but seriously when I worked if people found out I played they usually tried it. Why the hell not real life sucks most the time and some my best friends in game and IRL play.. have a good one you psychopaths ..!!

Good for them!

Casual friendly FF14 is more complicated than EQ.

EQ is so basic.

FFXIV has an amazing story and is so much fun! Highly recommended.

Construction most my life almost every field. Settled as a tile installer. Nobody knows what im talking about except the occasional customer .

I tell people all the time that my career started by understanding Macroquest in my early career. I was always more technical than most working on the business side and always completed tasks in grey areas with a technical approach. Understanding variables, functions, conditions, etc. has excelled by career. I became an expert in excel very quickly, automating all my reporting tasks with VBA + Advanced Formulas. Learned how databases worked, learned advanced SQL and SQL development, database design. Got my MBA and moved to a very large Pharmacy Chain where I learned Python, Pyspark, and machine learning techniques (also got to play with data in the billions of records).

Current a Global VP at a very large distribution company, focused on Advanced Analytics (ML/BI) and Pricing (ML). Still tell the story that automation of my characters was the springboard to my whole career. I also love that my father hating me playing video games, now I get to tease him a bit with my success and tell him it was all related.

IRL - Are people surprised you play EQ based on your day job? 🧐

Users who are viewing this thread

Back