• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Another best 3 box team question! (1 Viewer)

Dorambo

RedCents
316¢
Hey all!

I'm deciding on what a good 3 box is. Any combo, caster group, melee, etc. Each will use mercs.

What would be your 3 box go to on live vs. test vs. F2P/Silver?

Which would be better? Using 2 tank mercs, healer merc, nec, shm, mage?

Maybe a shd, shm, bst, heal merc, and x2 dps merc?

What about a wizard, mage, nec, heal merc, tank merc, and dps?

What are your opinions on this extremely open-ended questionnaire?

I'm hearing the SHD is boss hog these days?

What level do healer mercs die out?
basically, the moment that a cleric would have rez AA if not before :p

shds are very fun but all 3 tanks are capable

if i was forced to pick a squad with only 3 real toons and 3 mercs (yuck)

probably shd, bard, shm, 3 mercs --- early on clr and two rogues, post 100 3 rogues

I would go sk, shm, brd. Upto lvl 70 with tank-merc and 2 melee-dps-mercs, in the lower lvls maybe 1 healer merc if needed.
Above lvl 70 3 melee-mercs swapinng 1 to healer where needed.
While growing up all gear usable should at first go to tank. Once SK is sufficient geared and aaed, swap tank merc to meelemerc.
This trio should be able to go anywhere.

Ench, mage, nec plus healer-merc and 2 dpsmercs would be my choice if I wouldn't care to be able to face any content.
-con: you can't kill mobs with antipet-mechanic
-con: you can't visit raid zones to farm luck-augs
-pro: faster killing of mobs
-pro: almost no dependency to gear. You can grow up and progress almost naked
-pro: ftp-friendly: once (or twice) you spend a krono to push the aa-count, the last krono at the max-lvl you want to play the chars
this trio is almost as efficient ftp as gold.
At low-lvls (upto lvl 70) a tank-merc should be used.

Ahh, okie doke. Thanks for the input! I'll probably lean the shd, shm, and brd. And I heard theres no CWTN for bard, so is RGMercs viable?

I am weighing my options for a 3 box, but I can still definitely box 6. I am new to RG, so I'm starting to use RGMercs, well, learn it, and I am used to EQBC, but I see Dan net and am learning that. Everything is all new and shiny to me.

Learning about the tools available here and tweaking them for me brought a lot of fun. Before I found this place I got burned out trying to manual box current content. I took a 2 years break from eq. Before coming back to eq I admitted to myself, that boxing multiple toons has been more stress than fun for me.
Than luckily, trying to find a way to be able to resume playing EQ, I found RG.
It took some time to get all up and running the way I wanted it to run, but once I got all sorted out to the point I could box again, the fun came back.
Nowadays usually every evening I go exploring with a full group of ingame-friends for about 2 ours.
In the afternoons I run my box-team of 6 chars and have a lot of fun without the stress of alt-tabbing sometimes seeing my chars to be killed while trying to alt-tab to the right toon to avoid to be wiped.
Only the tools from RG gave me the ability to have fun whenever I am in the mood to log in.

Ahh, okie doke. Thanks for the input! I'll probably lean the shd, shm, and brd. And I heard theres no CWTN for bard, so is RGMercs viable?

I am weighing my options for a 3 box, but I can still definitely box 6. I am new to RG, so I'm starting to use RGMercs, well, learn it, and I am used to EQBC, but I see Dan net and am learning that. Everything is all new and shiny to me.

RGMercs is good if you just want it set up and go without messing with an ini file right away.

I use RGMercs on my lvl 97 Bard and CWTN plugins on the rest of my group. It works pretty seamlessly, aside from a little extra effort to set up chase assisting and setting up camp. Otherwise it's great, do recommend.

Ultimately KA will give you a lot more flexibility with how you want to your character to function. You know how you want your characters to work together and that how you can set them up. It requires time to really sift through spells, discs, AAs, clickies, etc though. Once you're finished though it is pretty amazing.

I have used and still use. Monk, Zerker, Bard as my basic 3 group and use 2 healer mercs and 1 tank merc to complete the group.. The bard twists extra damage, slows, debuff/buffs ... obviously I will never be perfect in my group set up.. I do what I think is best.

RGMercs is good if you just want it set up and go without messing with an ini file right away.

I use RGMercs on my lvl 97 Bard and CWTN plugins on the rest of my group. It works pretty seamlessly, aside from a little extra effort to set up chase assisting and setting up camp. Otherwise it's great, do recommend.

Ultimately KA will give you a lot more flexibility with how you want to your character to function. You know how you want your characters to work together and that how you can set them up. It requires time to really sift through spells, discs, AAs, clickies, etc though. Once you're finished though it is pretty amazing.
I've used a lot of e3, and I think KA is similar in that regard

I have used and still use. Monk, Zerker, Bard as my basic 3 group and use 2 healer mercs and 1 tank merc to complete the group.. The bard twists extra damage, slows, debuff/buffs ... obviously I will never be perfect in my group set up.. I do what I think is best.
That's the beauty of EQ

I really want to answer this question with "a 6 box team", because why stop at 3?

But in the spirit of the question as asked - I would go with the classic trinity: Tank/Bard/Cleric, and lean toward the tank being an SK just because I have the most experience with that class and I think they have slightly better aggro management tools.

While I have no reason to doubt that a SHM can be a main healer, I think that will work better with a full 6-man team. With mercs fights will be longer, more opportunity for mayhem - I would want the security of a real cleric.

I really want to answer this question with "a 6 box team", because why stop at 3?

But in the spirit of the question as asked - I would go with the classic trinity: Tank/Bard/Cleric, and lean toward the tank being an SK just because I have the most experience with that class and I think they have slightly better aggro management tools.

While I have no reason to doubt that a SHM can be a main healer, I think that will work better with a full 6-man team. With mercs fights will be longer, more opportunity for mayhem - I would want the security of a real cleric.
Mage/Enchanter/Cleric - Then do Tank, Wizard, Wizard Mercs...best stealth bot team evah!
Other than pulling and finding camp no need to move ever

Earlier this year I asked a similar question when I first started using RG Software. I got pretty much the same advice as you have here.
I now have 18 toons, all on their own account (free play accounts). Each toon also has its own EQ folder on my computer AND lives in its own screen space as I have six boxes visible at all times while playing. 3 screens, 40" 4k monitor in the middle with four instances running on, another instance on either side... all running at 1080p.
Anyway, I now have one of every class and two clerics and two wizards, pretty much all above level 70 now. From what I've seen of all the different classes, for DPS the zerker seems to REALLY kick arse. In short fights he'll outDPS the wizards quite easily (annoyingly cos I like wizards).
I guess what I'm saying is, just go ahead and make ANY combo you want to try because it doesn't cost you anything to make a free account.
So far as RGMercs vs Kissassist, I find RG is a bit dumb at the lower levels but once your chars are a bit older they start to work a lot better.
Kissassist worked better for me at the lower levels but I did have to learn HOW to use it to really get the most from them. I still use KA at higher levels when RG does annoying stuff (eg at level 76 with RG, my cleric just chain casts promised renewal until oom).
Have Fun!

Earlier this year I asked a similar question when I first started using RG Software. I got pretty much the same advice as you have here.
I now have 18 toons, all on their own account (free play accounts). Each toon also has its own EQ folder on my computer AND lives in its own screen space as I have six boxes visible at all times while playing. 3 screens, 40" 4k monitor in the middle with four instances running on, another instance on either side... all running at 1080p.
Anyway, I now have one of every class and two clerics and two wizards, pretty much all above level 70 now. From what I've seen of all the different classes, for DPS the zerker seems to REALLY kick arse. In short fights he'll outDPS the wizards quite easily (annoyingly cos I like wizards).
I guess what I'm saying is, just go ahead and make ANY combo you want to try because it doesn't cost you anything to make a free account.
So far as RGMercs vs Kissassist, I find RG is a bit dumb at the lower levels but once your chars are a bit older they start to work a lot better.
Kissassist worked better for me at the lower levels but I did have to learn HOW to use it to really get the most from them. I still use KA at higher levels when RG does annoying stuff (eg at level 76 with RG, my cleric just chain casts promised renewal until oom).
Have Fun!
I love these kinds of stories. I remember saying to myself that a three-box was all I needed when I first started using it too. I really love this software.

Discussion - Another best 3 box team question!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back