• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - An Unseen Hand... (1 Viewer)

RedCents
-13¢
So random thing happened today. I have my group in a zone doing xp grinding for the bonus xp right now. I have been at my PC and I start noticing my entire groups health going down (no mobs in camp etc). So I tried to manually heal through it on my cleric, but I couldn't keep up. My group was eventually wiped by An Unseen Hand. Has anybody ever had this happen, is this an automatic thing that kicks in if a group is in 1 area for too long? I could not see it anywhere, couldn't see anything when I opened my map, nothing in the logs about it either, the only thing I can see is "XXXX Slain by an An Unseen Hand".

I didn't keep the logs, but this kind of thing happened to me twice when I was PL'ing in Skyfire. One time I went upstairs to take a piss and came back to my group wiped, couldn't find any sign of damage in my logs. Didn't notice the Unseen Hand, but wasn't looking for it. Happened a second time with the same group and I stopped going to that spot for a few weeks. I had the idea without real evidence that a GM has spotted me and knew what I was doing and wiped my group. But that's just a suspicion and likely wrong. Could be any number of things.

I didn't keep the logs, but this kind of thing happened to me twice when I was PL'ing in Skyfire. One time I went upstairs to take a piss and came back to my group wiped, couldn't find any sign of damage in my logs. Didn't notice the Unseen Hand, but wasn't looking for it. Happened a second time with the same group and I stopped going to that spot for a few weeks. I had the idea without real evidence that a GM has spotted me and knew what I was doing and wiped my group. But that's just a suspicion and likely wrong. Could be any number of things.

In skyfire its the fireballs being shot at you from the flying drakes.

skyfire is the worse zone to walk away... like everyone says the drakes u can see sometimes a red target ring on ground where there overhead flying

nope I was there yesterday trying to get my baby ranger a bow still happends in skyfire…..

Wrong about skyfire - So yes you sit to long and invis man something comes along and start's AoE`n - It's called like an invis man drake, I thought i was going crazy but sure as shit you sit to long, this red ring comes down and if your in it you start loosing HP.... But i sit in great divide for 19+ hours sometimes in a farm spot and haven't been wiped by that - Although my tanks 400khp+ and there's random times we wipe and i cant figure out why, might have to look for the unseen hand.

Messed up things were happening in Gd Tov Sunday night, was about to loot the raid leader but backed off and wanted another toon to loot and the corpse disappears also had a rare drop that i looted and it disappeared some 1handed iced weapon for warrior don't know what happened to it.

An unseen hand has been killing people for along time, I have been victim to it afew time, but lucky not in the last few years. Never did figure out what it was, lots of people had did theories.

Upon searching, I can see it's happening on eqemu and p99, so it's not a GM messing with folk.

Best guess is lingering effects after an NPC dies, like rains

Killed my SK just day before yesterday in tower of frozen shadow. Poof dead. Whole group was double invis right next to him. The two mobs right next to us never agroed anything. Just a dead sk next to my group. Cleric did not even twitch lol.

Yea I had this kill my whole group again this past week. Absolutely no mobs around me when it started killing my group in great divide and eventually wiped it all lol. Still have no idea what this is.

This happened to me, today and yesterday. Managed to gat 4 toons out other 2 died.
Soon as one died/gated unseen hand moves to next PC
After gating last one, saw a dwarf npc appear from outside the wall

ToV : GD
You have been slain by an unseen hand!

and weirdly npc also
A windchill sprite has been slain by an unseen hand!
A Coldain enforcer has been slain by an unseen hand!
a restless miner is struck by an unseen enemy.

Last edited:
that has to be some GM kicking tov gd bot grps arse
conspiracy theory? not if he caught emotes
I have also been boxing (happened only in GD, ToV), was killing a mob then bam all of a sudden one or 2 toons end up fighting a diff mob way away from the grp.
sometimes more than halfway across the zone, and a completely diff type of mob (wurm when I hadnt fought one for hours)

I have also been boxing (happened only in GD, ToV), was killing a mob then bam all of a sudden one or 2 toons end up fighting a diff mob way away from the grp.
sometimes more than halfway across the zone, and a completely diff type of mob (wurm when I hadnt fought one for hours)
nah there is *something* in GD that causes that i've watched toons get teleported across the zone a couple of times and no clue what caused it - I suspected a bad part of geometry or something, but i've talked to a couple of other people that have seen it happen as well

Indeed, mobs warp all over the place in GD... my pulls have "disappeared" lots of times, only to land on top of another group other side of the zone

I've had it happen to me in both GD and Skyfire. I personally think its unassigned fall damage or some kind of bug in regards to fall damage.

I had never even heard of this until seeing this thread recently. That being said, it happened to me while I was watching my toons a few days ago. I happened to have a 2nd group to add dps in GD so I could keep a large area cleared faster. My tank was standing and getting hit by...nothing. There wasn't anything in the target window for him to engage. However, 2 of the toons in my 2nd group were engaged with a mob, and the mob had the tank targeted, but no one in the first group could see or target it. Cleric seemed confused and wouldn't heal, so the tank died. The 2nd group then killed the mob. I looked back and noticed it said the tank was kill by an unseen hand.
That's my story, and you're stuck with it.

I can confirm this happens. I was killed by that damn hand in GD a few months ago. There was nothing I could do to survive it or make it go away, except to leave the zone.

I JUST had this happen to me in Umbral Plains 2. I had two groups wipe. I am also playing a char currently doing a quest, she was not in the same zone and did not wipe.

Nah...Woebot likes to watch people in GD. I didn't know who he was back when I first started MQ...i sort of sucked at it...he was watching me fail so bad at kissassist that he wished me a great day and gave me milk and cookies lol....

He probably thought this idiot automated how to kill himself...he'll be paying us forevah...

epic fail falling GIF
idiot hitting GIF
Emily Blunt Oh Snap GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

yep the unseen hand definitely lurks in GD ... i was sitting near the npc for the velks mission toons on pause ... for about 10 mins while i ate a sandwich and watched an unseen hand take my toons out one by one ... i thought for sure a gm was messing with me so i disconnected and resd up the next day hahaha

So did a little digging and yeah, this is one of those great EQ mysteries that hits live and EMU players.
I'm also leaning on some stuff I saw Knightly talking about so I'm 100% speculating. (I don't have his in-depth knowledge of the game or notes in front of me so I could have this wrong)
To deal with Lag, the client/server of EQ has a thing were they trust each other. Client Says X, servers like. "Sure". Goes the other way as well. Server says X and the client will just go. "Sure".
So in naughty zones like GD or back in the day Kerra island. Mobs can fall through the world and still agro you. Server goes "Ok I got a mob banging away on soandso so here's some damage" But... the client doesn't have that mob loaded or as an Entry in it's memory. So it "Trusts" the server that something is happening then hits you with the "Unseen Hand" message to have ... a thing doing a thing to you...
You'd see similar behavior if a GM was in stealth mode and doing things like killing off players or Mobs with there super powers.

In any case, I hope this is one of those "Neat" things I never deal with personally.

this has happened to me in gd and ew ,,, was there like 10 hrs and this thing just killed everyone and i couldnt target it

I think its just another of the dev's sick sense of humor. Much like the Brown Bear Denmother who will race over to attack you the minute you go into Oceangreen Hills

They just like to throw in twists and stuff to shake things up so we don't get complacent.

Question - An Unseen Hand...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back