• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Adding a healer (1 Viewer)

Dretski

RedCents
1,175¢
I currently run a ranger, mage, chanter and SK with a wiz merc and a cleric merc regularly. I want to add a PC healer though, and my initial thought is to remove the ranger from the setup (I have for some reason, 2 heroic chars on one account, ranger being one of them). Now my question is, with the setup of SK, ENC and MAG, which would be the most versatile healer? Clerics are of course OP healing, but how does a druid or a shaman fair in resemblance? Especially with a quite decent SK tank? I would be removing my cleric merc for another wizard.

Edit; This is for the normal live servers, not TLP.

i am going thru this as well, but i am on the TLP. i would go cleric just because you have alot of DPS. Druids good for heals dps and ports. if you need ports go druid, if you do not need ports go cleric.

My thinking goes though, how much EXTRA DPS would I get from a druid instead of a cleric, and at what cost in healing capability? Shaman is probably a no-go, but my problem is I haven't played a druid since like 2002. :)

they have dots and nukes, rather nice nukes. there dots are Meh.. not like necros so there longer lasting DoTs, but with 2 wizys and a mage... stuff aint living that long so i wouild ditch the dots and have her nuke.

In your setup, a druid sounds good but these are the things I would consider:

Pros:
Ports....currently you are missing them.
Snare......though this is double edged. If you snare a mob and you wipe, that snare lasts an insane amount of time.......you may be campfiring back to a mob that you got stuck there.
ADPS.....dmg shield, grp wolf, aura

Cons:
The druid's heals are not as fast as a cleric's and you are running a knight. That initial hit can leave you with a wipe especially if you are afk.
KA in default state does not have both in combat rez and out of combat rez. If you configure improperly, you may find youself do a call of the wild over and over on your members resulting in rotted corpses.
You are running a knight that aleady has steadfast/staunch. Druid/Shaman growth line doesn't stack so this will be useless.
Druid will nuke in this group setup but will quickly deplete mana if they are adding any significant dps if they are the main healer.
Druid can add adps with their aura and group wolf but you have a chanter already adding mana recip and IOG. Check stacking issues.
Druid has no ability to recover mana quickly if they die. They have no harvest of any sort. They depend on their wolf form and skin for mana regen. Cleric has QM and VP which at max will recover about 50 percent mana after rez. Yaulp will keep you near max on group content.
I have never been able to get a good stable afk ini for a druid as a main healer (I can use a sham as a main healer, just can't get a druid to work for days on end like I have with the other 2 priests)

Conclusion:
With cleric, you can add 2 caster mercs.
With druid, you will probably still need a cleric merc and add 1 caster merc.

I'd be tempted to do shaman if you could still use a cleric merc for hard stuff and buffs

Lots of shaman things are underrated like Def proc slow, panther dps. More dps is always useful, but healing is only good to the point nobody dies anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

And if you dropped the Ranger for a caster, I think cleric would be a no-brainer

I run Pal, Cler, Sham, Nec, Ber in my setup w/ a healer merc.

I rotate the shaman out frequently for a wizard.

The cleric w/ cleric merc keeps my pally alive all the time. I die MAYBE once a day when a named gets in my pulls.
This is because I'm pulling 6-9 mobs at once, popping absorb discs and AoE DPS'ing with the zerker to kill everything.

In your setup, a druid sounds good but these are the things I would consider:

Pros:
Ports....currently you are missing them.
Snare......though this is double edged. If you snare a mob and you wipe, that snare lasts an insane amount of time.......you may be campfiring back to a mob that you got stuck there.
ADPS.....dmg shield, grp wolf, aura

Cons:
The druid's heals are not as fast as a cleric's and you are running a knight. That initial hit can leave you with a wipe especially if you are afk.
KA in default state does not have both in combat rez and out of combat rez. If you configure improperly, you may find youself do a call of the wild over and over on your members resulting in rotted corpses.
You are running a knight that aleady has steadfast/staunch. Druid/Shaman growth line doesn't stack so this will be useless.
Druid will nuke in this group setup but will quickly deplete mana if they are adding any significant dps if they are the main healer.
Druid can add adps with their aura and group wolf but you have a chanter already adding mana recip and IOG. Check stacking issues.
Druid has no ability to recover mana quickly if they die. They have no harvest of any sort. They depend on their wolf form and skin for mana regen. Cleric has QM and VP which at max will recover about 50 percent mana after rez. Yaulp will keep you near max on group content.
I have never been able to get a good stable afk ini for a druid as a main healer (I can use a sham as a main healer, just can't get a druid to work for days on end like I have with the other 2 priests)

Conclusion:
With cleric, you can add 2 caster mercs.
With druid, you will probably still need a cleric merc and add 1 caster merc.

All valid and good reasons. However, Pros #2. Shadowknight snares, its a fast cast AA. In the odd occasion he dies, the mage pet is almost always up to the task, and my group rarely wipes unless I do something wrong manually. :)

When you say mage pet is always up....Do you mean you keep the Earth one always up? How does that compare DPS wise?

Nah, air pet is a way better tank if you ask me. If the SK goes down, the pet does the trick tanking until the encounter is overwith, 99% of the times.

If your characters are max level/AA or close enough, you can also disband your back-up healer (or non-essential group box) and pop another merc caster. I do that all the time with my shaman. I think the shaman helps more with survivability of my tank (outside of direct heals) with better slows (I have had encounters where my enchanter could not land a slow, but the shaman did so easily. Never had one where the shaman could not slow, but chanter could), HoT from weapons proccing because of shaman Sluggishness buff, HoT from shaman slow Counterbias, HoT from shaman himself. It helps smooth out the bumps, at least for me as my tank is not the best geared. Also, can land some large DoTs early and go back to healing while the DoTs crit and do their work on the mob or do the higher dmg short duration DoT's. Before I was trying to nuke all the time with shaman to get him up there on DPS with my other boxes, but he can cast really fast DoTs early and then just heal and does better DPS than if he was nuking throughout the fight and not being ready to heal. I'd rather just have him debuff/slow/DoT/HoT and stand by to heal.

Druids have great healing capability and are almost on par with the Cleric. Though my druid sucks at rezzing. I cannot for the life of me rely on her to rez people, whereas my cleric is the bomb at it. When I put the cleric in the group, I feel like I'm losing a slot as in... I shoulda just used a merc. With the druid, I use nuke-heals, and they really have some nice DPS assistance (increase fire/ice dmg) which will bring up the DPS of your other casters.

I ran a group of WAR, Druid, Mage, Wiz, Ranger, and Enchanter. I used the ranger to chain pull, but eventually swapped the ranger for a Bard who really made yellow-con mobs drop like a sack of hammers.

Discussion - Adding a healer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back