• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Guide - A guaranteed solution to the "black screen" bug when logging in. (1 Viewer)

RedCents
4,520¢
This is a strange bug, and I'll report it to DBG at some point, but I did already try and they blew me off... I will register for their bug tracker website sometime, but for now I will share this with a more deserving community. This is a bug with the EQ client, and it took me over 10 hours of troubleshooting to find the solution.

The bug:
When you first try to login, the client loads and you immediately get a black screen that never progresses. Your only option is to force it to close and try again. Sometimes you can login first time, but sometimes it takes 10 or more attempts and you have to keep trying, end task on the black screened client, try again, etc. Not everyone seems to have this issue but I have seen it mentioned in game a couple of times, and in several places online, including this forum. So it isn't just my PC at least. Also this happens whether running straight from the EQ Launchpad or from running it any other way. (wineq2, mq2autologin, etc.)

How I troubleshooted:
I tried without MQ2, bug remained, so I knew it wasn't MQ2. I was also using WinEQ2 at the time so I tried without that, the bug still happened. I did a fresh install of EQ, problem was gone. I copied across my old eqclient.ini file, problem came back. So I knew it was something in that file. I tried changing obvious things like resolution, bitrate, etc. Nothing helped. I did another fresh install, problem was gone, but if I changed any in game setting, the problem returned...

The solution:
The bug is caused by one single entry in the eqclient.ini file which EQ itself makes. The culprit is "WindowedMode=True". This line actually has THREE settings:

WindowedMode=TRUE
WindowedMode=FALSE
WindowedMode=1

All three of these settings have a different effect on the game. WindowedMode=False is fullscreen mode. That seems to work ok for me and didn't have the bug (although I didn't test it for long). The problem with that mode is that it is hard to alt tab away from, there is a few second delay which is no good at all. WindowedMode=True is the game's best attempt at a real windowed mode, it works well, can be alt tabbed away from instantly. But this is the mode that causes this bug.

Lastly is the solution, WindowedMode=1 which I would have thought was the same as True, but it isn't. WindowedMode=1 is some sort of hybrid between full screen and windowed, and behaves a little bit differently to WindowedMode=True. For a start, when you first login, the cursor gets pulled to the very top left of the screen which you can then move again, but it is a minor annoyance. Also while logging in (and occasionally when zoning), the client will force itself to be on 'top', so you can't alt tab at this time. It doesn't affect your ability to play, it just means that you can't read the web while logging in the client (until it gets nearer the character select stage). It also means that the client, although it appears as a window on the taskbar like in WindowedMode=True, it isn't able to be tweaked with programs like Moo0. If you are like me and really want a memory improver and also need to play in WindowedMode=1, then get this. Note that on all future log outs, the game will try to revert WindowedMode=1 to WindowedMode=True which is prefers for some reason. If you are using WindowedMode=False you are fine, but if you have this bug you need to use read only to stop it making the change.

TL;DR:
You can do anything you want in your eqclient.ini file, but you must change WindowedMode=1 and then you must set the file to be read only. Right click in windows, properties, check box at the bottom left. If you don't do this, as soon as you next logout, the game will revert it back to WindowedMode=True and the bug will return. If you need to change any settings in the game, you can remove the read only mode, make the changes, camp out, but you will then need to do the WindowedMode=1 change again and then turn the read only mode back on.

Last edited:
windowmode=true is just regular in a windows mode, i just hit the maximize window button and boom win!

yeah if the windowmode is 1, it will revert it to true and go in normal windowmode

even if the ini is locked, there is no difference, other than in starting up because the ini is bad.

also never had a blakcout when logging in with windowemode=true.

i am thinking you may have some issues with drivers or other settings in your eqclient.ini maybe?

Re: A guaranteed solution to the "black screen" bug when logging in.

It is definitely not any other setting, I troubleshooted this down to the exact line. With true as the option, I get a black screen about 90% of the time. With =1 as the option, I can login 1000 times with not a single problem. As for drivers I tried latest nvidia driver and 2 earlier ones. No other problems in any other games including EQ. Not sure what causes the error exactly, but changing this line is the solution.

- - - Updated - - -

even if the ini is locked, there is no difference, other than in starting up because the ini is bad.

This is not true. If I unlocked my ini file, logged in and out, it would reset that line to true instead of 1, and I would crash the next time I logged in. Guaranteed. I can also use a fresh install onto a different hard drive with a fresh ini that only contains several lines. If I change that one thing to true instead of 1, it will crash.

Thanks for confirming :) I knew for sure it was the culprit because I basically pasted lines into the fresh install ini one by one until it crashed. This is the only one that caused a lock up. I suffered 6 months of this bug which put me off playing! But since finding the culprit I have logged in 6 characters for the last month without any black screens at all.

I have a freeze on zoning issue though which is almost as obstructive. Harder to test too because it is less common.

Last edited:
hmm i still believe its some other issue, as i have been running for the past 6 months or so with windowedmode=true and the windows maximized with 3 clients

never had that issue at all.

Yeah this bug only affects some people. I think WindowedMode=TRUE is the way most people should set it unless they have this bug. DBG are going to have to figure out what causes it because I only have common gear and I play hundreds of games and never have any other issues. This solution works for now at least.

Microscope - what video card type do you have? Nvidia or AMD? Just wondering if you and Kaen have different types and, and that's why he has never seen it.

I also have never seen it. And I run WindowedMode=TRUE. My vid card is Nvidia.

This does prevent the issue from happening. I personally do not like windowsmode = 1, so will live with the black screen occasionally. Thanks for finding this solution and sharing it.

I am sure there is a fix that will not cause windowed mode to break... I just wish I knew what it was.

hmm yeah, make sure the proper monitor resolution has been selected in eq, even if you run windowed maximized mode

Guide - A guaranteed solution to the "black screen" bug when logging in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back