• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - 5 box + Merc. Should I switch to 6 box? (1 Viewer)

DAZ2020

RedCents
88¢
Hail! I recently picked up EQ again. The last time I played was around 2005 and I no longer have that account. I figured I would just wander around and check out some old hotspots like Crushbone and Unrest. Here we are a week later. I dropped some coin for full access, bought a heroic to buff lowbies, have used up all my char slots tinkering with classes and now I've fallen into the world of Multiboxing. I regret NOTHING! I am having a blast and pleasantly surprised. I wasn't sure I would get my moneys worth if I purchased the level 2 access but I've spent all day 5 boxing with a Merc and it was dead simple thanks to all the efforts of this community and it's members. Thank you so much.

I'm currently running a SK (tank) that I control, Ranger, Shaman, Enchanter, Bard, and a DPS Merc. I recently swapped from a healer Merc but I don't really feel like they are that useful. I'm still low level so I'm wondering if the Mercs get better at higher levels or become less effective. Should I stick with the merc in that slot and if so what type? Should I swap out the merc for another character and if so what type? Thanks!

Merc clerics are ok for short fights but don't have the mana or AA you need to have staying power on harder named fights and mission encounters - especially with the dps you are running. I used to run similar with a war, wiz, enc, shm and 2 mercs, and switching to a real cleric with AAs was like night and day.

You might as well, and anything you like really. You haven't gone for a classic (boring?) min/max group anyway, so just go for it. I'd probably go zerker or rogue.
Thanks. Out of curiousity what are the mix/max group classes? I found lots of ideas one way or the other but nothing real clear cut in terms of "best" group composition. I mainly tried to make sure there was little overlap. I feel like the Ranger is not that useful but I think it might just be because I'm still low level.

Merc clerics are ok for short fights but don't have the mana or AA you need to have staying power on harder named fights and mission encounters - especially with the dps you are running. I used to run similar with a war, wiz, enc, shm and 2 mercs, and switching to a real cleric with AAs was like night and day.
I was considering adding a Cleric from the start but figured the overlap with the Shaman heals would be a waste but like you said the Healer Merc gets less useful the longer a fight. I think I will grab a cleric. As stated above the Ranger is feeling like a weakspot for my group. Any thoughts on what to replace the Ranger with?

Thanks. Out of curiousity what are the mix/max group classes? I found lots of ideas one way or the other but nothing real clear cut in terms of "best" group composition. I mainly tried to make sure there was little overlap. I feel like the Ranger is not that useful but I think it might just be because I'm still low level.

"Classic" Min/max's:
Melee
WAR/SHM/BRD/BST/BER/(BER or ROG)
and
Caster
SK/ENC/CLR/ (fill with MAG/WIZ as you feel)

There's some variation, but it's the tank/CC/heal combo that everything else revolves around.

if you are going to replace one and add one i would suggest Beastlord + Zerker. Beast will be good for dps and adps along with bard. And zerker will be pure dps :)
I think I will pull the ENC and RAN, adding a BST and Zerker. More dps sounds great!

"Classic" Min/max's:
Melee
WAR/SHM/BRD/BST/BER/(BER or ROG)
and
Caster
SK/ENC/CLR/ (fill with MAG/WIZ as you feel)

There's some variation, but it's the tank/CC/heal combo that everything else revolves around.

It seems I had a mix of both. I might try a classic group composition to get me out of the low levels. This information helps, Thanks.

Thinking about it, would a Druid be enough healing or should I drop a Mage for a Shaman? Shaman would probably add to the DPS too, huh?
From what i've read and gathered the druid while having nice utility is not a great healer compared to the other options. Shaman seems to be much more useful. Plus like you said they can help with DPS.

I recently started up again too after a lengthy sabbatical. Like yourself, i fell into boxing. I am having a lot of fun with it since I found RG.

I'll put in a vote for berserker and beastlord as well. I set up a fellowship for convenience and I am having a good time with SHA/WAR, SHM/CLR, BRD/ENC, BST/MAG, BER/ROG, BER. I've been swapping them in and out, keeping them all around the same levels. I recently added two more accounts bringing the total up to 8 accounts for even more variety.

Question - 5 box + Merc. Should I switch to 6 box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back