• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

3 Box and a Hello (1 Viewer)

Feltope

RedCents
118¢
Hello!

Let us start with some honesty. I am obviously new to the site. I have been trying to think of something witty or relevant to post to get the points to get a month while I get my work done at home.

Okay cheesy stuff aside.
Searching around the forums most of the questions I have are answered.
I am thinking about 3 boxing to start sk, shaman, mage.
I would really like to have a druid for transporting but I feel like I can get more mileage from the utility of a shaman. I have played mages so I understand that class well. I have not played any tanks extensively.
When the game first came out I played enchanter and that and mage are really all I played all the way up. I think max level when I stopped was 65. I don't remember for sure.

I am wondering what your thoughts are on a trio. I can always add more chars later the game only uses about 2% of my cpu and 5% of my ram per box. But I want to start small.
I have been solo'ing for a week or so now and having fun so I am looking to get back into it. I just never boxed.

My goal is to have a team that can farm in a reasonable manner so I can get a krono every month and perhaps play on the time locked servers.

I am going to go and read about the new advanced loot system that I know nothing about now because when I was alt tabbing well it was interesting to loot.

thanks and i hope I didn't put this in the wrong place,
Feltope

Welcome @Feltope ! We're lucky to have you

You have pretty good start to a group there. for any content I really suggest thinking about the old tried and true "holy trinity" where you have tank, healer, and CC

you should consider tossing a CC in that group you have there, and then you'll be golden.

with mq2 it is pretty quick to lvl toons and catch up to yourself, so don't sweat if you don't "do things perfect" out the gate - the absolute most important thing is that you enjoy your team and are enjoying the game - otherwise it doesn't matter anyhow.

SKs are great tanks, especially for group boxing content - large toolkit especially later levels
Shaman - great support class - and later on very viable as a solo healer
mage - deeps/utility etc good stuff

I play live and run a melee team for my main group, so i use a bard, but if you're thinking more finger-wiggler oriented, you might consider going enchanter

some of the inter/intra class synergies aren't as important until you get into EoK+ era with focus tab synergy line, and alliance and such - so if you're doing TLP like rizlona - then you shouldn't sweat that all too much. I'd just focus on being able to meet your current needs, and adjust as your needs change.

Your Choice of 3 is solid.

SK can split , pull whatever you want eventually with AA etc.
Shammy's Slows / cripples, debuffs etc , group buffs and off heals will work great with a healer merc. Also the pets , sk and rogue mercs you should have will also benefit from the Shammy
Mage... very few AA is needed to make your Pet a real tank while you get your SK the tens of thousands of AA you will need to be uber.

SK can pull back to camp, Mage pet will MT for a while as its easy to heal.

Your SK needs AA, Gear, Augs, and skill to be effective.. mage pet /pet attack and have taunt on =P

You both right of course and I was probably over thinking it. Trying to shoehorn more utility into a small team when it isn't needed to start. The team can be extended later.
sk, cleric, enc would be solid obviously. My only reason for not putting an enc in my group was because when I played playing and enc was a very active role and so was tanking. Having two very active chars on a multi box didn't seem like a good idea.

From reading around the forums a bit more it seems some of those issues are mitigated by the software making things a little more clean to do. (with cc)
I will probably go with that and then as I am comfortable I can start adding the extra utility. It isn't hard to level up a char now days.

How I evolved :

SK / CL
SK/BL - great duo and already knew how to play a BL some -- had to add as slower
SK/BL/Rgr - pew pew -- was true boxing still
SK/BL/Rgr - CL/Sham/mage took the plunge into VV / MQ2 and added ( Was damn near impossible to kill this group but it was slow DPS as I was leveling and AA'ing

SK/BL/CL/Mage added Chanter /Wizzy - was decent but zerkers where crushing my deeps
SK/BL/CL/Ench /Zerker/Ranger -- lots of buffs and solid deeps
--- added a 7th account to mix in another zerker while having the Ranger Pew Pew now outside the group

SK/BL/CL/Zerk/Zerk/Enchanter - Still use today as all purpose great group that has completed every mission and progression.
SK/BL/CL/Zerker/Zerker/ Bard -- once I got the bard some levels and AA this is crazy but missed chanter instant lockdown CC
SK/BL/Shammy/Zerk/Zerk/Bard -- this group is crazy deeps if you have enough Tank and Shammy has gear and AA.

I have Leveled all classes to max level and AA since , so mixing in different classes is just part of where most of us end up.
With all that said....

Make sure you stack new toons under the proper class if you are on a limited account budget, that replaces another class, IE .. Bard and Chanter can go on same account etc , SK and Pally same account

There are some posts on this that I know I have responded to in the past, so when you get to that point, read up and it will save you from alot of pain when you realize that you want a certain class make up but they are on the same accounts =P

I myself am still learning to box
I started with
War/ Wiz Both with T5 Mercs 1 healer and 1 DPS
Now I thru in a third account and have War (healer Merc), Wizz (Tank Merc), and rog, (Melee DPS merc)
Once I get the handle of all this I am thinking about a 4th account Maybe Enc or Bard or maybe an actual healer.

Hello!

Let us start with some honesty. I am obviously new to the site. I have been trying to think of something witty or relevant to post to get the points to get a month while I get my work done at home.

Okay cheesy stuff aside.
I would really like to have a druid for transporting but I feel like I can get more mileage from the utility of a shaman. I have played mages so I understand that class well. I have not played any tanks extensively.
When the game first came out I played enchanter and that and mage are really all I played all the way up. I think max level when I stopped was 65. I don't remember for sure.

I am wondering what your thoughts are on a trio. I can always add more chars later the game only uses about 2% of my cpu and 5% of my ram per box. But I want to start small.
I have been solo'ing for a week or so now and having fun so I am looking to get back into it. I just never boxed.

My goal is to have a team that can farm in a reasonable manner so I can get a krono every month and perhaps play on the time locked servers.

I am going to go and read about the new advanced loot system that I know nothing about now because when I was alt tabbing well it was interesting to loot.

Feltope

I’d suggest swapping the mage for a bard. While the mage is great DPS and brings a backup tank to the mix, and coth which are all great, a bard imo is better bang for your buck. A bard will boost not only your SK and shaman, but also your mercs. They bring strong CC, and are the best pullers in game. And let’s not forget selos speed. Once you’ve had it, you’ll never be happy without it 😂. SK, shaman, bard, plus either 3 melee mercs or 2 melee mercs and a healer merc make for a very strong melee setup, that can do pretty much any content.

Last edited:
I agree with the bard. With available kiss ini or rgmercs your bard will run themselves and you get the added bard goodness. You can get one up and running in minutes.

General suggestions for ease from a non-expert player:

1 Tank
1 Crowd Control
1 DPS

The merc healer works well so I'm fine skipping the healer role. The merc tank is going to be horrible later on so I want a tank. The merc DPS are pretty lackluster so I replace with a boxed DPS. As CC is pretty necessary and there's no merc DPS I'd need a BRD or ENC.

I currently am leveling up:
PAL/ENC/RNG 3-box with a CLR, WAR, WIZ set of mercs. Around 85 I will probably swap the WAR out with another WIZ

I'm sure swapping PAL with SHD may be more optimal.

Currently using RGMercs on all three and the new mercenary support mode (/rg UseMercenary 1) on all 3. It's been working pretty well and I love not having to find a ton of equipment.

If ur planning on advancement up through current/future content ull need qctive healer.

Sk/Shm/CC of somekind would rock it. Bard and run 3x rogues. Or chanter and 3x caster mercs.

As a side if u can afford it, the CWTN plugins available here on RG are well worth the investment

As an update:

Right now I am running SK/CL/BL as a core.
I added a BRD and MAG. The bard is obvious and I added the mage because I leveled them together. He has come in handy though. pet dps, nukes, and the 10 slot weight bags for loot. (my bags suck ass)
I left a spot open on purpose. For one I wasn't sure how well a 6 box group would run and so far a 5 box group runs great on my system. So just being safe.

I could drop the bard for an enc but he adds a lot of utility to the group and so far he hasn't had a problem keeping things mez'd etc. (group level is only 58)
I would like to have some kind of transport/evac char like a wiz or druid but not sure if it would be worth removing the mage for that. I like to roam around and not sit in one place all the time and traveling takes time.

The group is working well but the time to kill in some content is a bit lacking. I know a lot of people swear by berserkers from reading the forums but I am not sure I want to add even more melee.

I am enjoying playing the game again and enjoying reading the knowledge and opinions here in the forums.
thanks!

Welcome to the community!

It sounds like you have a really solid group. If you like the group how it is you could add the druid as some extra DPS, buffs and the extra heals can really come in handy. Also I find having a porter + bard for every group makes getting around to camps and doing annoying tasks like epic run around so much easier and faster.

As for adding a berserker I know lots of people swear by them but I personally have always prefered a rogue or monk for pure melee dps. Monk has the bonus of helping on pulls.

Hello!

Okay cheesy stuff aside.

Feltope
Sounds good to me.

I am thinking SK ... Necro ... Chanter myself.

3 Box and a Hello

Users who are viewing this thread

Back