• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - New Kaby Lake Processors (1 Viewer)

RedCents
9,002¢
I am building a computer next month for my birthday and I have been looking at the new processors that just came out. They're like so new cpuboss doesn't even have a basis of comparison for them yet which is really unusual. I'm no tech junkie so I usually just hit up that website for all my comparison needs.

I was wondering if anyone here works in the industry that has been able to try them yet and tell me what they think? They seem cheaper than Intels previous generation and from what I am reading the chips are built more around the every day user (so, me) rather than the inordinary user who wants to tweak it/overclock the shit out of it.

I was debating on the 6700 or 7700 for the computer which I plan to box 24 on. I was kind of hoping for a comparison chart because I have a feeling the 7700 would be overkill for what I want.

Kaby lake represents a change from Intel's typical Tick (Process) Tock (Architecture) release schedule. Now it's some BS about Optimization and 2 other steps. Essentially because AMD hasn't had a legitimate competitor to the Intel chips in a very long time they have finally decided to rest on their laurels and release a new gen CPU that has almost no appreciable changes from the previous generation.

Every review I've seen shows the Kaby Lake has virtually identical performance to Skylake in both IPC/CPU/Integrated video (not that this last one probably matters to you).

I echo what everyone above has said, AMD is supposedly finally sending out their moonshot new CPU tech (was code named Zen, not Ryzen) which (almost every CPU enthusiast including myself) prays gives Intel a run for their money (or at least achieves parity which is more likely). AMD has always been more chipset friendly (the AM2 boards could receive updated CPUs for ages) whereas Intel likes to release a new damn chipset every year and gouge the crap out of you for it.

The CPU market of today exists because of Intel's monopoly. So wait for Ryzen, worst case you pick up a last gen intel CPU from someone taking the dive to Ryzen or Kaby Lake. Best case, AMD CPUs are awesome and you get to support a great company that it benefits all of us to have succeeding.

Last edited:
Waiting isn't an option for me sadly. I'm not really the type to be patient over the slim chance of saving 1 - 200 $ on AMD putting out a semi decent product. I haven't liked any of their processors before and even if everyone raved about the new AMD and said it was cutting edge amazing, market changer, game changer whatever I wouldn't buy it.

Everyone wants it to be good, much like everyone wanted Final Fantasy XV to be the next Final Fantasy 7 and while it was good everything we get our hopes up for over a long period of time generally just lets us down.

Truth is, I am already saving 2 - 300$ on the computer I wanted because Intel put out new processors and they're cheaper than the previous ones I was looking at. My 1,500$ build was only 1,112 last night after discovering the new processors. I even was able to upgrade it from 16 to 32 gigs ram & still save.

I'm already happy at the money I am saving, money I totally wasn't expecting to save. If I keep getting greedy expecting to save more and more I am going to get boned on something else.

You did echo what I was originally hearing though that Kaby is almost identicle to skylake which I am pretty happy to hear. I was really shocked about the Skylake prices last year when I went to build this computer but the issue was they didn't even have a 4 core processor at the time which was no bueno for EQ. Only 2 cores trying to run 36 characters would have been laughable. I had to go for a REALLY over priced Intel i7 when I built this one.

The Kaby lake ones though have 4 cores (at least) and are priced way under the previous gen I was looking at.

Truthfully my mind is already sold on the Kaby lake ones if what you're telling me is they're essentially Skylake processors with the proper amount of cores =P

Have to agree with everyone else. I'd hold off, think of Kaby Lake as what the 2nd revision of the architecture at this Tock should have been. Intel has decided to do 3 stages of the Tock going forward. Its just marketing something that should have already been in the 2nd stage but splitting it into 3 stages to get a little extra $ out of the consumer.

I would wait for Zen as others have suggested to see how it effects Intel pricing and solely for that reason. Do I think it will effect the quality of an Intel vs an AMD?, certainly not --->Soon as Zen is released, Intel will answer back within 2 months with a better product in the same price range. AMD is just too far behind in terms of Process nodes and optimization on that node. Intel is just reaping the rewards as there is no competition.

This may change in the future as they are slowing down considerably after the 10nm node, unless they change to some other type of lithography altogether. Also, the Chinese cpu makers are about only 4-5 years behind expect them to catch up as well, if there is no change in lithography from any of these cpu makers in the coming years. The Chinese have made considerable catch up - they were about 20 years behind Intel in 2010 or so, and about 5 years behind now. (source: is Anandtech, I have no clue which article I read it in about a year ago)

More competition is always good for the consumer!

EDIT: If you can't wait then obviously Kaby Lake as it supports Intel Optane, and has the new optimized SpeedShift revision 2.

I'm still using a i7-2700k on 2 comps and i7-860 on 3rd. IPC difference isn't worth the splurge on a new cpu/mb for me. The 860 needs upgrading solely cause of the ram limit on mb though.

I have 6 i7-860ish ones and love them! I run 32gb in them without issues... no reason for me to spend more on eq then I have to with so many boxes I run. hell my old q9600 still runs a 6 box all day, every day!

Have to agree with everyone else. I'd hold off, think of Kaby Lake as what the 2nd revision of the architecture at this Tock should have been. Intel has decided to do 3 stages of the Tock going forward. Its just marketing something that should have already been in the 2nd stage but splitting it into 3 stages to get a little extra $ out of the consumer.

I would wait for Zen as others have suggested to see how it effects Intel pricing and solely for that reason. Do I think it will effect the quality of an Intel vs an AMD?, certainly not --->Soon as Zen is released, Intel will answer back within 2 months with a better product in the same price range. AMD is just too far behind in terms of Process nodes and optimization on that node. Intel is just reaping the rewards as there is no competition.

This may change in the future as they are slowing down considerably after the 10nm node, unless they change to some other type of lithography altogether. Also, the Chinese cpu makers are about only 4-5 years behind expect them to catch up as well, if there is no change in lithography from any of these cpu makers in the coming years. The Chinese have made considerable catch up - they were about 20 years behind Intel in 2010 or so, and about 5 years behind now. (source: is Anandtech, I have no clue which article I read it in about a year ago)

More competition is always good for the consumer!

EDIT: If you can't wait then obviously Kaby Lake as it supports Intel Optane, and has the new optimized SpeedShift revision 2.

I don't see intel matching prices =P They never have and never will because both intel and nvida have been able to release half ass upgrades while amd was stagnant. This has allowed them to run a ridiculous price on their products because everyone knew amd couldn't match them. Intel is switching over to smaller units to compete with amd in the cell phone market. You will see them putting more R&D money to that than into their desktop CPU's because there is a larger market for it.

What everyone just said, if you absolutely cannot wait then getting 6700 for say 50-100USD less than 7700 is a perfectly fine move as there is no difference at the same clock speeds (6700 and 7700 is the same chip design save for some 4k decoding thing).

7700 is made on a supposedly better process (14+) allowing slightly better overclocks and slightly lower power consumption.

Intel will not lower pricing too much because AMD by their own admission is shooting for Haswell era single core speed(IPC) and it remains to be seen if it will be that fast. If it is that will be great for everyone.

Tech - New Kaby Lake Processors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back