• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Games - WTB help with Windows Server 2012 R2 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbot

🖥️💖
RedCents
88,102¢
Pronouns
He/Him
I have a 2012 server up, but can't access any resources via VPN. I can connect, but have no access to internet/intranet. I'm sure this is something simple, but I'm a linux dude and I have no idea what checkbox to mark.

Your choice of $50, 7 krono, or a year of lvl 2 to get it working. Longtime/trustworthy/verified members to the front of the line.

Last edited:
What do you mean you can connect? You can connect to the VPN? Sounds like you may not have DNS setup properly when you make your VPN connection.

Yes, I can connect to the VPN from a client. But it's pointless as there's no internet/intranet access.

Remote desktop works flawlessly. I should mention this server is from a hosting company, I have no physical access.

I don't understand what you are doing. Can you paint a bigger picture?

There's a directory on the server I'd like to access from my box at home.

e.g.

\\servername\foldershare

My thinking was that I'd connect to the server via VPN, then I'd be able to access the folder.

RDP it, you can make a shortcut RDP call to it like a web shortcut... open up the port you want and your in!

I can connect, but have no access to internet/intranet.
Can you be more specific? How are you connected and from what device do you have no internet/intranet access?

What VPN client are you using?

Do you have the proper Certificates installed on your client machine from the server machine?

What type of VPN is it?

Is it a tunnel (VPN) to the hosting provider or directly to the server?

Is the server behind a firewall at the hosting provider?

Is the firewall on the server set up to allow the VPN connection?

Could also be a routing issue from within the tunnel.

I would need to see the results (from both the client and the server) of a
Rich (BB code):
route print
and a
Rich (BB code):
ipconfig /all
to see more of what is going on.

PM me and I'll give share my email with you, I am a dev with 20+ years of windows server admin xp. There also might be a easier solution to meet your needs. (oh, and no payment is needed, it's a way I can give back.)

EVERY one I have done REQUIRES you buy and setup an SSL btw! the internet is a scary place and they want inscription....

Razkle's idea is probably the easiest if your hosting service has the ports open and you are using a Windows client. You might have to export the server certificate and import it to your desktop.
If your using a Linux client and you want to mount the share, that is a totally different barrel of monkeys and I would probably look at installing cygwin on the server and just SSH into it from my Linux box. Again, you will have to check the correct ports are open.

easy peasy....
step 1. static IP
step 2. open port on server
step 3. Setup SSH Tunneling for VPN
step 4. delete all that shit and install skydrive from Microsoft and let it do all the handshaking! Its like Dropbox but for hosting from a server...

- - - Updated - - -

Cloud Storage Services

Microsoft once offered a remote file-fetching solution that allowed you to access a PC's files over the Internet as part of the Windows Live Mesh application. They discontinued that product in favor of SkyDrive, now known as OneDrive.

Like Dropbox and Google Drive, OneDrive is a cloud file storage solution that provides you with a special folder on your PC. Files and folders you place into this folder are uploaded to your cloud storage account online and synced to all your PCs. You can run the client on all your PCs to sync files, or you can access the service via your browser or mobile app to download individual files you need.

Microsoft discontinued Windows Live Mesh because they believe a cloud storage service is the ideal way for an average user to access their files. You don't have to leave your PC online, install server software, or use a dedicated device. You can't access any file you want on your PC — you'll have to sync the files you care about and access them.

This may not be the ideal solution for power users, but it is the simplest solution for the average user who wants to access their personal documents from anywhere. It gives you an online backup, too.
650x385xwindows-8_1-onedrive-cloud-storage_png_pagespeed_gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md_ic_Ptn.png

Can you be more specific? How are you connected and from what device do you have no internet/intranet access?

Sure.

There are two PC's involved: Server (Windows 2012) and client (Windows 10).

I want to access a directory on the server from the client.

What VPN client are you using?

Windows 10 default

Do you have the proper Certificates installed on your client machine from the server machine?

Probably not.

What type of VPN is it?

Windows 2012 default

Is it a tunnel (VPN) to the hosting provider or directly to the server?

Not sure.

Is the server behind a firewall at the hosting provider?

Not sure.

Is the firewall on the server set up to allow the VPN connection?

Not sure.

I would need to see the results (from both the client and the server) of a
Rich (BB code):
route print
and a
Rich (BB code):
ipconfig /all
to see more of what is going on.

ok sent :)

There's a directory on the server I'd like to access from my box at home.

e.g.

\\servername\foldershare

My thinking was that I'd connect to the server via VPN, then I'd be able to access the folder.

Assuming the VPN client is on your windows computer. Edit the host file on your computer to include the IP address and host name or try to connect using \\server ip address\share name. Sounds to me like you don't have DNS and/or a gateway setup properly on your VPN connection.

If your VPN is indeed connected, then it is most likely either a routing issue on one side or the other, a DNS issue or an IP address issue. I would need to see the routeing table and ipconfig from both sides to tell.
VPN's on Windows can be very tricky to set up. Is your client machine getting a link local address?

When the VPN is connected can you ping the server from the client? Can you ping the client from the server? Try the ping using the hostname and then the IP, also check the ipconfig for the VPN tunnel IP's and try pinging those.

Hope this mud helps clear up the water some.

Yes, I can connect to the VPN from a client. But it's pointless as there's no internet/intranet access.

Remote desktop works flawlessly. I should mention this server is from a hosting company, I have no physical access.

How to gain access to local filesYou can gain access to your disk drives on the local computer during a Remote Desktop session. You can redirect the local disk drives, including the hard disk drives, CD-ROM disk drives, floppy disk drives, and mapped network disk drives so that you can transfer files between the local host and the remote computer in the same way that you copy files from a network share. You can use Microsoft Windows Explorer to view the disk drives and files for each redirected disk drive. Alternatively, you can view the files for each redirected disk drive in My Computer. The drives are displayed as "drive_letter on terminal_server_client_name" in both Windows Explorer and My Computer.

To view the disk drives and files for the redirected disk drive: 1.Click Start, point to All Programs (or Programs), point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.
2.Click Options, and then click the Local Resources tab.
3.Click Disk Drives, and then click Connect.

How to end the Remote Desktop sessionAfter you are finished using the Remote Desktop connection: 1.Click Start in the Remote Desktop Connection window, and then click Shut Down.
2.Click Log Off, and then click OK.

- - - Updated - - -

If RDC is working just do the 2nd Quote and you sir are golden!

If I understand the RDP method, it doesn't exactly give me access to the server's folder.

I want to, from my box, access the folder via //servername/share

Other methods don't work for my purposes.

I've been doing Server/Network Admin but from the looks of it is that you might be VPN but the VPN does not have a tunnel to the window share and has limited access. These guys are pointing you to the right direction but you will have to setup a route from the VPN subnet to the box itself for windows file share and allow it through the windows firewall. I don't know if the hosting company has any other restrictions as each one is different

Redbot, not sure if you found my replies yet, but it looks like you are connecting but the IP addressing isn't set up correctly on the server side. You are getting autoconfig addresses on both sides. One thing missing is the address assignment as seen in step 11 here That might be all you need to get going. If that doesn't work send me the ipconfig and routing table again.

Thank you to all the smart people who helped me stumble my way through setting up a VPN today :) Also thank you for the alternate ideas.

Finally got it going via Ignishaut's guides.

YEAH

- - - Updated - - -

27 ways to skin a cat, glad #13 worked for you!

- - - Updated - - -

OR in Geekness term, "1 Yuk shaved!" (LMAO all you non-geeks are Googling "Shaving a Yak" RIGHT now aren't you!, You are, I see you!)

Games - WTB help with Windows Server 2012 R2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back