• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Laptop for Boxing (1 Viewer)

Infamouz

banned
BANNED
RedCents
So I'm looking to buy a good laptop for boxing.

I play on servers that have IP blocks, and i also play on servers that do not have IP blocks, so I'm looking for a computer that will host VMware well

Completely a noob to computers, so let me know! Appreciate it

I don't understand why anyone would ever want a gaming laptop. Do you actually game at coffee shops?

Some of us box a lot! sometimes it helps running 3+ FTP groups in a small 15 inch screen in a small room. Also, boxing with a lappy can save energy. ;)

I don't understand why anyone would ever want a gaming laptop. Do you actually game at coffee shops?

I'm never getting a gaming laptop again. I used to take it to work every so often but that got old quick carrying 8 lbs + 2 lb power brick around. I currently use a surface pro 3 and its got almost everything I wanted. I can load an eq account on it, and best of all I can play dota 2 without to much drop in fps! Hoping that the SP5 cuts the weight down even more though, because it does become tiring holding it after 30 mins or so. If Microsoft can get the weight down to 1lb like the Ipad Air it will be the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Unless you have access to multiple public IP addresses, VMWare isnt going to help with running on servers that only allow a single IP address / account access. I guess you might be able to have each vm run a vpn, but man your overhead to just get around IP address issues is high at this point.

So I'm looking to buy a good laptop for boxing.

I play on servers that have IP blocks, and i also play on servers that do not have IP blocks, so I'm looking for a computer that will host VMware well

Completely a noob to computers, so let me know! Appreciate it

Budget?
How many EQ's do you want to play or what other games are you trying to play?

I travel ALOT. Laptops are the ONLY way I can keep up playing the game... If I could run all my accounts on tablets....I would.

Other option for some of you folks not traveling (cuz of bad ping!) is to just stream the games from a cloud service like AWS-EC2 of MS-Azure

I typically fly to 2-6 states a month or so, I gave up trying to game while traveling, now I just drink or putz around on the internet after work while on the road.

Althou I have to admit I really enjoyed the surface book, I could play 12+ eq chars in a seriously small package.
Was a year or two ago that I tried it on one and I am sure there are other lighter laptops/tablets out there that can play 12 chars now.

I might have an Asus G75 vw to offload.

I picked up the new Alienware 17r4 and as my first dell product.....omg this thing is lights out the fastest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So back to the original OP's statement here..

VMware will not solve the IP block issue, since you're only virtualizing the internal network on a VM. This is because when you're going out to the internet, your router NATs all of your internal addresses out to a single external ip address. You can proxy the VMs by using a VPN essentially through a few 3rd party providers i've seen online.

Running VMware with multiple machines on a laptop is rubbish usually, unless you have a mobile workstation that has a nice processor and RAM, but this may be going a little too deep for most people. I wouldn't go this route just due to the sheer overhead of firing up all the VMs and VPNs to use EQ. :)

If you only need a laptop powerful enough to run EQ and need to mask the IPs from time to time, then I'd use a VPN service to proxy you out from your normal IP address. I would just make sure you get a good paid one, since those usually prioritize your network traffic, which makes the game more enjoyable. :)

As far as laptop vs. desktop, this should be always known a desktop will win every time due to modularity of the components, but laptops are purpose built with fixed hardware usually. If you need to be mobile, get a laptop, but if you don't... don't.

Tech - Laptop for Boxing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back