• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Building a new rig! (1 Viewer)

Coinstop

BANNED
RedCents
1,149¢
I'm treating myself to something nice-ish and build up a new rig!
I just ordered an X Sniper 2 case and have a Corsair CX750M power supply off to the side that's brand new.

Anyone know a decent cost efficient motherboard/cpu combo? (around $300-400 or less)
Also any suggestions on video? (around $100 or less)

Been out of the hardware game for the past 2-3 years.. which is basically an eternity.
Ive seen some awesome threads on here in the past, so knew exactly who to turn to!
What parts would you grab with that budget?

Thanks!

What are you wanting it to all do? Im no expert but have been looking around a bit as well and $100 is kinda low for a graphics card

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Just typical gaming. Nothing crazy, Evil Within, Overwatch, EQ, CS:Go, KF2, ect.
I do run a decent number of EQ accounts , but that's not as much video heavy as cpu/ram.

Video wise I was looking at ATI Radeon HD 7670 4GB which is around $75
or Sapphire NITRO RX460 4GB Which is about $125
Would I be a wrong to assume that would fit my needs?

I personally would not go AMD. I'd consider the gtx 1060 over the RX460. It is about $25 more expensive on the 3 gb version. I think you'll be more satisfied especially playing Overwatch.

Do you run a 1080p resolution? Then the 3gb of vid ram is plenty. If you run at a higher resolution then 1080p consider the 6gb version.

Consider more cores for EQ if you play alot of accounts on one comp -

A 6-core Intel processor and 6 core or 8 core AMD (marketing tactic) is no where in the ball-park same because of IPC (instructions per cycle) differences. Even a 4 core Intel is significantly better than an AMD cpu.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_cycle

Motherboard I prefer ASUS or ASRock, will depend on which cpu you get.

Get a M.2 slot motherboard, preferably one with 2 M.2 slots.

Awesome advice guys thanks so much!
That websites really rad, I love that it shows reviews as well
Def gonna poke around it the next few days.... since it takes me forever to decide on these things.

This should be pretty much common knowledge but get a lot of DDR4 ram if you play alot of EQ accounts. I run 32gb and am able to load about 15-16 accounts. My next build I'll probably go for a cpu/mb that supports 64 gb of ram.

Do not splurge on the CPU, i'm running a 2700-k (3rd gen i7) and running completely fine with it. If you do elect to go 6-core get the cheapest 6-core Intel.

The IPC difference from the 3rd gen Intel to latest 7th gen is very negligible. Which is why I haven't built a new comp in 5 years as well.

PSU is incredibly important too, try to go with Corsair or Seasonic Platinum efficiency grade if you have your computer on 24/7. Will help cut down on the powerbill in the long haul assuming you don't upgrade in the next 5 years.

Forgot to add Samsung M.2 SSD, model 950 or 960 will work. I like Samsung because of the longer warranty. Do not buy a SATA ssd if you are planning a buying a new SSD, this is old technology now. M.2 is like 4x faster.

This should be pretty much common knowledge but get a lot of DDR4 ram if you play alot of EQ accounts. I run 32gb and am able to load about 15-16 accounts. My next build I'll probably go for a cpu/mb that supports 64 gb of ram.

Do not splurge on the CPU, i'm running a 2700-k (3rd gen i7) and running completely fine with it. If you do elect to go 6-core get the cheapest 6-core Intel.

The IPC difference from the 3rd gen Intel to latest 7th gen is very negligible. Which is why I haven't built a new comp in 5 years as well.

PSU is incredibly important too, try to go with Corsair or Seasonic Platinum efficiency grade if you have your computer on 24/7. Will help cut down on the powerbill in the long haul assuming you don't upgrade in the next 5 years.

Forgot to add Samsung M.2 SSD, model 950 or 960 will work. I like Samsung because of the longer warranty. Do not buy a SATA ssd if you are planning a buying a new SSD, this is old technology now. M.2 is like 4x faster.

Why so much RAM? I run 36 and I only use 16gigs of my 32gigs of ram. Honestly I am only going to do 16 on my next build for my comp that will run 24 chars because all that extra RAM feels totally wasted to me.

You're absolutely right, Samsing new PCI-E SSD S-960 is what any new build should have. I do have 32GB of RAM, i use the extra available RAM for Virtualization and RAM Disk.

My hard fast rule of thumb is 2 toons per gig of ram... so 16gb is 32 toons....

My current rig has 32 gb but burns up like a mofo anytime I pass 3-4 groups.
Its always CPU temp overheating. regardless of new fans, reapplying paste, etc etc

Im sure its something to do with this tired, old rig thats seen only a handful of days off in the past few years.

Why so much RAM? I run 36 and I only use 16gigs of my 32gigs of ram. Honestly I am only going to do 16 on my next build for my comp that will run 24 chars because all that extra RAM feels totally wasted to me.

My hard fast rule of thumb is 2 toons per gig of ram... so 16gb is 32 toons....

I know its possible to run more but I see alot of degradation in performance and lag past 16 accounts on 32 gigs of ram. As far as getting 32gb, when I built the computer back 5 years ago, it was a Black Friday sale, so I splurged on the sale, since it was a really good deal.

And for the future build, yes more RAM for creating a ramdisk for super super fast loading (memory i/o vs disk i/o). I haven't played with it but thats what a couple people have mentioned in a irc channel.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imdisk_toolkit.html

I'm really anal about load times. It takes me about ~19-22 secs to load into a huge zone on a sata ssd (something like Scorched Woods or Frontier Mountains). I think people have mentioned that a ramdisk will bring this number down significantly or a PCI based SSD as well.

I know its possible to run more but I see alot of degradation in performance and lag past 16 accounts on 32 gigs of ram. As far as getting 32gb, when I built the computer back 5 years ago, it was a Black Friday sale, so I splurged on the sale, since it was a really good deal.

And for the future build, yes more RAM for creating a ramdisk for super super fast loading (memory i/o vs disk i/o). I haven't played with it but thats what a couple people have mentioned in a irc channel.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imdisk_toolkit.html

I'm really anal about load times. It takes me about ~19-22 secs to load into a huge zone on a sata ssd (something like Scorched Woods or Frontier Mountains). I think people have mentioned that a ramdisk will bring this number down significantly or a PCI based SSD as well.

SSD is all I run, I don't wait for shit, ever!

I run 32gig of RAM on a new computer (purchased this fall), have most effects enabled, luclin models, and I haven't gotten close to lagging with 12 logged in and running KISS for long periods of time. The only time I have issues is when DBG's fucking servers fail (daily).

My longer-term goal is to PL a couple more wizzies (to wreck shit faster) and a few more mages (to park as CoTH hoes in hard-to-reach spots throughout Norrath).

SSD is all I run, I don't wait for shit, ever!

Unless you are living in San Diego, your load times are going to be at least 7 secs with an SSD, more so with a sata SSD drive. I just don't believe that stuff instantly loads for you.

See how long it takes you to zone into Scorched Woods or Frontier Mountains. This is not a network issue at that point, its how EQ loads assets which is retardly slow.

I have a Samsung M.2 950 SSD with OS and EQ loaded all on the 950, it's not noticeably faster than my sata SSD as far as loading zones or start up is concerned....or anything really. And the motherboard I have is current and made to make full use of M.2 drives.

If you don't have to have the system now, you might just wanna wait a few more months. Reason being is that AMD is releasing their new Zen processor, and they are supposed be able to compete with Intel. It will also most likely drive prices down if they are good enough to complete.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I would go with the i5 6600K Skylake and almost any name brand mobo with the Z170 chipset, ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI etc..
Check out Microcenter, the bundle prices are all sub $300 HERE

As far as SSD. Get a couple of those cheap 250gb SSD and RAID 0 them to get 1gbs throughput. As fast or maybe faster than M.2 and much cheaper.
That leaves More Money for the graphics card.

Can not go wrong with the GTX1060 or GTX1070 if you can afford it. The RX470 is right there too and priced similarly.

I have one of the EVGA GTX1060 driving three 24" monitors and it's smooth as butter in BF1, DOOM, CS:GO.. no sweat.
It's $200 at Microcenter HERE.

Then to top it off get your overclock on with a delid kit from RockitCool
Run the i5 up to 4.5ghz at 1.3v

There ya go.. Supercomputer for $700ish

Having a lot of ram lets you run EQ from a ram drive. I do this and you should know that zoning takes more time on the server than my computer because it is constantly waiting.

Also, 2nd the 1060 and 1070 suggestions. I got a 1080 because I like to play games in 4K.

SSD for everything other than zip files/downloads

300gig seems enough for me for my C: but I do not have a bunch of games I play.
For archive drive usually grab a 4tb or something that has a good price:gig

Dont build a system with less than 16Gb today, ideally get 4x 8Gb sticks for 32Gb (200$)

Having a lot of ram lets you run EQ from a ram drive. I do this and you should know that zoning takes more time on the server than my computer because it is constantly waiting.

Also, 2nd the 1060 and 1070 suggestions. I got a 1080 because I like to play games in 4K.

I was referring to our conversation in irc chat with that guy about a year ago when I mentioned ramdisk in the above post! I think you were considering it at that time. So what is the zone time on the ramdisk for you, for one of the larger asset zones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tech - Building a new rig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back