• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Hardware to run 30 Chars (1 Viewer)

RedCents
546¢
Hi all,

I want to run 30 Accounts on one PC

Do you think that Intel I7 6700k with 16 GB RAM , 8 GB GeFORCE 1070 will be enough to run without major lag? of course with an SSD Disk

At the moment I am running 18 chars on i5 6440 with 16GB Ram and its running smoothly.

What do you think?

Regards

even with 32gb you may find it lags at times.

currently run an i5 with 32gb 2gig video card and 240g ssd and it happily runs 20+ but at 28 it starts to show signs of struggling especially if your also using web browsers etc at same time.

I normally run 25/6 with MQ2, GINA and Gamsparse but I have all the particles etc turned off except on my main toon.

would also recommend turning logging off even if using an ssd.

I can run 12 and play Fallout 4 at 60fps with i-7 32gb and Nvidia GTX 970. I'm pretty sure I could do over 20, but i'm not sure on 30.

LOL.. I tried to run 12 with a similar setup (I have a GTX 1070) and play Call of Duty III or whatever, and EQ didn't like it :) I crashed an instance of ISBoxer or two. It certainly wasn't taxing the system itself, though.

I've run a max of 36 toons on my conputer, and I only have 16gb ram- Was no lag @46fps average.

The core of my build:
i7-5930k cpu (6 cores, 12 threads 3.5ghz, modest OC to 4.4)
15gb ddr4 2800 quad channel (quad channel is the most important, its double the bandwidth of dual channel)
asus rampage 5 extreme motherboard
corsair hx1500i psu
samsung 850evo ssd

Everquest really doesnt benefit from anything over 4 cores. (high diminishing returns here, if i must be specific) So if I were to use the 5960x cpu, I'd see less performance since it is only 3.0ghz. Having the extra half a ghz with less cores heps more since the first 4 cores are faster, and I have 2 left over to handle things like the isboxer client, ventrilo, chrome, siriusxm, etc.

Now, video card doesn't matter so much with this game. Using isboxer, it splits the windows to fit anyways. I use an evga gtx750 ti ftw. with 36 toons open, I always got a steady 40-45 fps. if I had (and I will be getting on cyber monday) a gtx 1080, i would see 60-70fps im sure.

Bandwidth is the most important factor here. if I went to 32gb of ram I'd see no improvement. The files are being handed off before the memory even fills up with 16gb. 30-40% memory usage at peak.

Efficiency is more important than numbers you can impress your friends with. I see what others have posted in here and I've been shaking my head with the builds some have come up with. We're not working in the GM R&D designing new 2018 vehicles, so we don't need $4000 machines here.

With that said, to your original question- You will be fine with that setup if you have ddr4 quad channel ram.

I've run a max of 36 toons on my conputer, and I only have 16gb ram- Was no lag @46fps average.

The core of my build:
i7-5930k cpu (6 cores, 12 threads 3.5ghz, modest OC to 4.4)
15gb ddr4 2800 quad channel (quad channel is the most important, its double the bandwidth of dual channel)
asus rampage 5 extreme motherboard
corsair hx1500i psu
samsung 850evo ssd

Everquest really doesnt benefit from anything over 4 cores. (high diminishing returns here, if i must be specific) So if I were to use the 5960x cpu, I'd see less performance since it is only 3.0ghz. Having the extra half a ghz with less cores heps more since the first 4 cores are faster, and I have 2 left over to handle things like the isboxer client, ventrilo, chrome, siriusxm, etc.

Now, video card doesn't matter so much with this game. Using isboxer, it splits the windows to fit anyways. I use an evga gtx750 ti ftw. with 36 toons open, I always got a steady 40-45 fps. if I had (and I will be getting on cyber monday) a gtx 1080, i would see 60-70fps im sure.

Bandwidth is the most important factor here. if I went to 32gb of ram I'd see no improvement. The files are being handed off before the memory even fills up with 16gb. 30-40% memory usage at peak.

Efficiency is more important than numbers you can impress your friends with. I see what others have posted in here and I've been shaking my head with the builds some have come up with. We're not working in the GM R&D designing new 2018 vehicles, so we don't need $4000 machines here.

With that said, to your original question- You will be fine with that setup if you have ddr4 quad channel ram.

I would love to run 12 Instances on my computer. Can someone walk me through what I need to do to optimize my ini files, setting setting cores, set video or display options in game to optimize? i'd prefer to avoid ISBoxer if I can just rely on MQ2EQBCS

Thanks!!

I use isboxer ONLY for the frames- It also does cpu load balancing (better than the OS) on each window/instance so it helps a ton. I don't use the hotbar clickies or anything though.

I'll have to try that out- But 90% of it for me is how it loads and auto switches between the windows that I have set up to display on my main monitor. 1 on top, 5 on bottom

Lower your graphic settings under Alt + O (Options). As low as they'll go on boxes you won't be watching the screen on. This is really all you have to do. If you have windows 8 I find the lag to be unbelievable so I downgraded my computers to Windows 7.

mq2cpuload does load balancing. You can also name your windows in the taskbar with MQ2 now, so I don't see much use for isboxer

Much easier to hot key to specific characters if you're used to that with ISboxer, plus built in broadcasting for some things is nice on occasion. You're right though, it's needed far less than it used to be.

MQ2FPS is going to give you the most massive performance per EQ client. Drops me from running at 100% cpu usage with 18 clients down to 32%.

I'm currently running a i74790k overclocked to 4.8ghz with 16gigs of ram.

if all else fails, get a usb 3.0 stick a 128 gig and use it as RAM, format it and right click for it too use as ram, youll be golden my older i7 with 16 gigs ram and a 680 ran 27 Accounts just fine. Then you could get wineq to help with ram issues and bullshit lock ups. Shit was a dream

today I got a new PC ... will post details when I am in front of the PC...
First impression was okay with 30 Chars but then I made a change in Bios "Game Boost"
from then on everything got worse.
Though it is a new PC and I need to check all nifty tools like mq2cpuload, mq2fps, a.s.o.

Will keep you updated

I built a new PC recently;

i76800k
GTX1060
128gb ram
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 ssd
windows 10 pro 64

It runs 16 accounts beautifully. My main is maxed out for graphics, the rest are fairly close to max. Not sure on all graphical settings, but everything looks nice. Farclip on main is max, the rest are at 85. I run 3 monitors (2x24, 1x 22), main 24" just has my main (warrior), the other 15 accounts share the second 24" and is split-up into little windows on the bottem with the selected toon on a large window via isboxer. Everything is very smooth. Before this, if I had all account on /afollow of main, it was pretty easy for a few to get hung up and stuck while just running them around the guild hall. With this new pc, none of them ever misstep. I tried to get them stuck, but all 15 accounts on /afollow repeated the path of the lead perfectly, even the ones that run slower and was falling behind, they all still did all the turns correctly. I know 128gb ram is overkill, but went ahead and got it anyway. I have no doubt this pc can run 30 accounts smooth with some settings turned down or maybe with same settings.

I built a new PC recently;

i76800k
GTX1060
128gb ram
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 ssd
windows 10 pro 64

It runs 16 accounts beautifully. My main is maxed out for graphics, the rest are fairly close to max. Not sure on all graphical settings, but everything looks nice. Farclip on main is max, the rest are at 85. I run 3 monitors (2x24, 1x 22), main 24" just has my main (warrior), the other 15 accounts share the second 24" and is split-up into little windows on the bottem with the selected toon on a large window via isboxer. Everything is very smooth. Before this, if I had all account on /afollow of main, it was pretty easy for a few to get hung up and stuck while just running them around the guild hall. With this new pc, none of them ever misstep. I tried to get them stuck, but all 15 accounts on /afollow repeated the path of the lead perfectly, even the ones that run slower and was falling behind, they all still did all the turns correctly. I know 128gb ram is overkill, but went ahead and got it anyway. I have no doubt this pc can run 30 accounts smooth with some settings turned down or maybe with same settings.

CHROME TABS FOR DAYZZZZZZ

Formula is

i7 4 core cpu
32+ gb of ram (rule of thumb 1 gb per toon}
ssd drive
high end video card (GeForce 1080, 1070, 1060 etc)

build your system around these basic specs and you should be able to run 30+ toons

Last edited:
For ram, I see people running 16gb with 20+ toons going and saying that it works fine. Before this build, I used my laptop with 32gb of ram and it was bogging down once I went to 16 accounts. I play Everquest, I am not deploying a bunch of teams here and there to farm stuff to make kronos, using stick figures and optimizing settings so that I can play run as many accounts as possible on the least hardware.

I think 32gb would have been enough if I turned settings down, but I didn't want to. All my toons are hero-forged, all are set to be nearly max settings and all run smooth all the time. With the laptop, it ran OK much of the time, but would occasionally bog down and I was itching to build a new computer anyway. If I coulda jumped to 64gb ram on laptop, that'd probably have been good too, but 16gb sticks for that was in the $300+ per stick range.

Not saying to get more than 32gb ram, but if you're making a new build choose parts that make it easy to get to 64gb. Think every mobo allows it now, but like instead of 8gb sticks, go for 16gb sticks off the bat.

Ok ... here is the Hardware to run 30
and I guess can run even more as CPU is at 69% and Memory at 48%

i7 6700K
MSI Z170 Gaming
32GB DDR4
275 GB SSD
NVidia GTX 1070
and quad channel Memory Technology.

I run the whole Setup just with MQ2CPULoad no isboxer is used... though I guess with isboxer it would work the same.
FPS is between 22 and 49

Pretty sure I could reduce some graphics Settings in EQ but I just reduced the Spell particles opacity to 0% and left everything else Standard.
If someone could write some tips to reduce graphic load.. let me know.

I run that Setup for over a week now and I am very satisfied... the only Things that is annoying: the PC is loud... I Need to reduce some fan noise.

Regards
and thy for all your tips

Hardware to run 30 Chars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back