• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Need advice on Buying a New Computer on a Decent Budget (1 Viewer)

Magoon

RedCents
505¢
Folks I just got my Christmas Gift! It is Authorization from my Accounting Department (Wife) to buy a New Computer and the Budget is $2500 with shipping. Few things to note:

1. I don't need/care for hardware warranty I have close Family that is an IT Professional but I dont want to rely on him to build it.
2. I live in the Caribbean so heat is an issue, thinking water cooled tower, not sure if that is just easier to buy separate and install later.
3. I play EQ Mostly and 3 or 4 Box. I want to raid with 2 toons and not lag (If that is even possible)
4. I do play some other games, on occastion D3, Path of Exile, maybe a bit of SWG but that is about it.
5. I mostly want to finally play EQ on full res and in a raid ( Am I taking crazy pills?)
6. Don't want AMD, I prefer Nvidia.

Thanks in Advance !!!

Aye, Razkle is on the right track. If you are cleared for that much, that box is great, and already has water cooling, and a decent warranty.

But, you could build / find one to do what you want for well under $1,000, if you really wanted.

Just built my own box a few months back, here is what I used (and yes I can raid with full res and spell effects on with no lag whatsoever)

1 x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM

1 x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

1 x MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2 220-T2-0850-X1 80+ TITANIUM 850W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode

1 x GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

All for around $1250 (used some old corsair sys fans and a case). Can 5 box to your hearts content.

I use a laptop personally. Use it to flawlessly run my Oculus Rift as well as all of my programming software, IE: VS 2017, Android Studio, Eclipse, ActivPerl etc all at the same time without any hickups. Only Caveat was I needed to add a secondary HDD which obligated me to send out for a part directly from Acer (was free of charge) for the Mini SATA cable to connect a Hybrid SSD 2tb HDD for bulk storage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS9...b17-9926-2ce5bd7a680a&hsa_cr_id=7593458420701

The secondary drive installed is a
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Fire...rd_wg=QGgfi&psc=1&refRID=PJ4ZZH9NHCWNDMQEBV8S

I quit doing desktops some time back. They lack the portability needed for my school work sadly.
computer.png
computer2.png

I use a laptop personally. Use it to flawlessly run my Oculus Rift as well as all of my programming software, IE: VS 2017, Android Studio, Eclipse, ActivPerl etc all at the same time without any hickups. Only Caveat was I needed to add a secondary HDD which obligated me to send out for a part directly from Acer (was free of charge) for the Mini SATA cable to connect a Hybrid SSD 2tb HDD for bulk storage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS9...b17-9926-2ce5bd7a680a&hsa_cr_id=7593458420701

The secondary drive installed is a
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Fire...rd_wg=QGgfi&psc=1&refRID=PJ4ZZH9NHCWNDMQEBV8S

I quit doing desktops some time back. They lack the portability needed for my school work sadly.
View attachment 13599
View attachment 13600
I wanna see what islandgirl.jpg is!!!

As requested. This was a logo I was working on for someone. This was the completed product. I made sure to offset the text to trigger peoples OCD /troll.
Islandgirlmerged1.png

She asked that it was made after seeing mine.

BrokenRobotGamesMerged.png

which started out as
Cracking.jpg

Lets do a quick comparison of prices. I used to own Alienware. I owned 3 Alienware to date. This is some quick glance stats. Including price for consideration. This comparison exactly is why I went with the Acer. Plus buying it through Amazon with prime you get it like $50 cheaper. The cost of warranty services with Dell (Alienware) is extremely high. The 3 year coverage I got shown in the photo prior includes accidental damage, was only $83. I added a secondary SSHD for only about $100 more. Yes, I did have to wait for the cable to come in and open the laptop myself. But it beat overpaying for the laptop from Dell IMHO. I paid with the added 2tb SSHD and the 3 year coverage only $1226.39 total. Which is cheaper than both of the shown alternatives base price before any add ons. Plus, this thing doesn't miss a beat!

Alienware 17 - $1349 (starting)Acer Predator - $1099Alienware 15 - $1599 (discounted)
ProcessorI7-7700 HQI7-7700 HQI7-770 HQ
VideoGTX 1050ti - 2GB (add $500 for 1070)GTX 1060 - 6GBGTX 1060 - 6GB (overclocked)
Memory8 GB DDR4 (add $100 for 16GB)16 GB DDR416 GB DDR4
Monitor17"15.6"15.6"
StorageM.2 - 180 GBM.2 - 250 GBM.2 180 GB
Wireless802.11 AC802.11 AC802.11 AC
Weight9.74lbs5.95 lbs7.69 lbs

DDR 3 runs 800-1333mhz without overclocking, Where-as DDR4 clocks in around 2400mhz.
6 core processor, AMD at that. i haven't got any quarms with AMD. Usually when I build my own systems that is what I go with. It certainly helps the price point. It probably does okay as well.

No solid state drive, but those aren't really a requirement.

I mean for the price it doesn't appear to be a bad buy. Decent video/processor/memory/storage overall.

It really kind of depends on what you currently have on if it would be worth upgrading the whole system, assuming it's not going to be used in addition too your existing system.

Question - Need advice on Buying a New Computer on a Decent Budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Back