• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Replacing a shaman with a bard (1 Viewer)

nebulous

RedCents
432¢
I have a melee-heavy group that's also keeping a cleric and wizard. Currently have a well-geared shaman in the mix, but am considering leveling up a bard to replace him. Can you guys please speak to the pros and cons of this?

Has the huge favoritism toward bards faded with the recent nerf?

what do you pull with? Bards are nice and everything. If you have pulling abilities already maybe replace with a bst?
I love bards though, can't go wrong with them, the dicho nerf does hurt but not make the bard useless. haste, speed, weapon procs, grp ac, nice burn discs for self and grp etc. The bard itself won't be a dps monster or anything but can make any grp more potent

If your tank is well geared you may be able to get away with swapping cleric and wizard for bard and zerker. Your group DPS would probably go up quite a good bit.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, I would probably take a Bard over a shaman for your group. You need the CC and the songs will probably be more ADPS than shaman buffs. You could still load the shaman for buffs that last 2 hours anyway, though.

I'm running Monk / Rogue / War / Shm / Clr / Wiz. I'd like to get dps numbers up, but don't want to lose the slowing ability.

I know it's a bit of an odd composition, but I have a sentimental attachment to the monk and rogue.

I am pulling with the monk mainly, or rogue if I drop the monk for an alt.
Mnk rog war shm brd ber?
I imagine this a very capapble melee grp

Or maybe replace shm/wiz with bst/brd
Cleric covers heals
Dps gain from brd/bst over wiz/shm

Still have some slow and some stat boosts from bst/brd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I like the Beast/Bard combo in that already melee-heavy group.

I'm starting to work out how to run my newly PL'd Warrior with a Shaman healer/slower/dps booster (particularly with epic click). Rest of the group would likely end up being Bard, Ranger, Zerker, Beastlord. I was also just starting to PL a rogue, but he won't be ready for the big time in a while.

Seems like one thing everyone's suggesting is to drop the Wiz. I was under the impression that they were great macro dps. Is this suggestion stemming from their lack of added utility?

Well, no, I don't think I meant that specifically. The Wizard in my group is awesome, and at this point I would not drop him for anything.

The logic behind dropping the wiz for a zerker / beast is that the zerker / beast would benefit more from the shaman / bard than a wizard. haste / melee procs / stat buffs really don't benefit a wizzie much.

case in point: Fjilnauk's Song of Suffering which adds a melee proc (7k dd with a -1600 hate), that doesn't do much for a wiz.

I second LamahHerder's suggestion for Mnk rog war shm brd ber, maybe try to recruit some to do a HA with you or something similar to get a feel for it.

Also just FYI I've been experimenting with a somewhat similar melee group, mine is SK/Brd/Shm/Ber/Bst/Rng, and I'm really enjoying all the synergy. My SK is an absolute monster with all this ADPS and support - tanking TBM HAs with a 2her and bard mez turned off. The sham actually gets to heal without a cleric around, and roar of the lion does great DPS from Hybrids who crit for 60k on the procs. This group also maintains well over 200k sustained DPS during AA grinding - I remember a couple of expansions back (CoTF) being impressed when my group did 200k DPS on a named burn lol.

I second LamahHerder's suggestion for Mnk rog war shm brd ber, maybe try to recruit some to do a HA with you or something similar to get a feel for it.

My only concern with dropping the cleric for this would be my lack of faith in the shaman's ability to keep a group TBM-geared warrior up. With the cleric, he can tank 4 tbm mobs at a time.

My only concern with dropping the cleric for this would be my lack of faith in the shaman's ability to keep a group TBM-geared warrior up. With the cleric, he can tank 4 tbm mobs at a time.

I don't have experience with a warrior, but my SK is TBM group geared and tanks TBM stuff with a 2her and a shaman healer. I'm sure it will need to be setup well to rotate defensive abilities and such. Multiple named back to back can sometimes be an issue and requires me to pull out the 1h/shield.

Question - Replacing a shaman with a bard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back