• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Will Hybrid DPS still be in your groups without Dichotomic Psalm? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
899¢
Well I'm feeling a little dumb - I have a new Beastlord and Ranger that I've spent money on (heroic, TBM) and was excited to add to my group... However I've been doing some testing with their spells, and without DP they have to conserve, only use big spells with GoM, or they have to med often. This appears to be putting them behind other classes who can sustain while going all out.

They still seem great for burns and spaced out kills, but any long term grinding situation it's looking like I might be better off with pure melee (Zerker, Rogue, Monk) because they can last forever with Breather as long as the mobs aren't taking forever to kill.

All that said, it's been a long while since I mained a ranger and I've never mained a BL, so I definitely have a lack of knowledge to work off of. Any input?

My ranger, spamming spells (which is where you get almost all your non-burn dps), will generally end most fights having burned through 20-30% of his mana. That was having it set to burn EVERYTHING, including dicho, and dot all mobs. That won't be sustainable anymore. The best you can do is accept a slower kill rate with your ranger sitting on a mount, move to all caster dps, or go all pure melee. I just was about to start PL'ing a beastlord (the little bastard already has half his equip slots filled with T2 TBM group gear), but I very well may switch to gearing a rogue now (was going to anyway, but this just solidifies it).

I had been planning this group setup: SK, Brd, Shm, Bst, Rng, Zerk - and depending on the hybrids for spot heals when the sham falls short, plus a perfect set of ADPS to make my SK a monster. Now I'm not so sure...

My BL so far has only has $17 wasted on him for TBM, and a Krono but that was just plat... so I'm probably going to drop him all together until things change again. I was leveling up the Ranger on the same account as my Wizard, so I may just delete the Ranger and remake him as a Rogue even though he's already level 103. Then I just use Wizard or Rogue depending on content. Wizard for traveling around doing aug camps and such, Rogue for long term grinding sessions. Don't want to waste the heroic.

bst is worth it still for para etc just dont use dots.

Makes sense... especially with losing Bard Dicho, having the paragon stuff is more valuable than it was before.

Maybe I'll end up with Sk/Bst/Clr/Ber/Brd/Wiz as my main group setup. I'm not sure how the Wiz will do on mana without DP either, but the BST will add more regen support than my Shaman for sure.

Tips for BST in your groups (NOT TANKING) if you're using KISS

Buffs should be set up to keep up Spiritual _____ line spell based on level for mana and health regen

For DPS, I have them casting two dots, and two nukes. Fast cast times, longer cool downs.

Under your heal section have Focus Para set for mana 95 and para of spirit set for mana at 80. This essentially triggers soon as they are ready to maximize mana regens.

Set med at 95% if they're not pulling they're medding.

If you set up holies, you can break into many of the various AA's under conditions too.

All that should keep a BST running pretty close to any WIZ or something on mana as you go.

I run a Bst, in my main group. I love him, and he averages about 60k-80k DPS without burns, but yea, constantly using Paragon, and Focused Paragon. But I also do many other things to keep Mana/End up (horn of Unities, Mana Rods, Canni's, etc).
Set med at 95% if they're not pulling they're medding.
Exactly (and have puller set group watch to only watch healers).
My main group runs SK, Bst, Shm, Mage, Enc, Clr with Horn of Unity on all 6 toons. Mind I never run in a place like some of you do with thousands of kills per hour, but I can run pretty consistant (70-100/hour) in VOA/ROF/TDS/TBM zones (usually manually running puller (sometimes SK, sometimes Enc, Sometimes even Shammy)) and usually only have a mana/end issue on the SK or Mage if ever.
So all that said, I think the usefulness of said hybrid classes will fully depend on the individual group you are running, the location you are killing, and just what you truly consider your DPs needs to be.

So I ended up just pushing through and finishing up the BST and Ranger.

With this group: SK/Brd/Shm/Bst/Rng/Ber, I'm grinding around 290 mobs/hour in DH nonstop with no med breaks (around 46-50AA/hour). The BST is setup not to use dots unless GoM procs, and my ranger is going all out aside from their one expensive dot. When watching them play, I see the BST use focused paragon alternately on the RNG/himself and neither ever runs OOM. My SK and Sham of course never have resource issues of any kind.

This is a combined parse of around 3 hours (1k mobs give or take). The zerker performs pretty well on sustained grinds, but amazingly well when blowing up named - just one disc-assisted dicho can do several million dmg.

Keep in mind the BST/RNG are both at like 10k AAs and still have a lot to go.

Combined: A hunting skirth in 8029s, 1753577k @218405sdps ---
ShadowKnight + pets 589550k@73428sdps (73428dps in 8029s) [33.62%]
Berserker 406791k@50665sdps (50684dps in 8026s) [23.2%]
Beastlord + pets 288322k@35910sdps (35915dps in 8028s) [16.44%]
Ranger + pets 284928k@35487sdps (35496dps in 8027s) [16.25%]
Bard + pets 151554k@18876sdps (18878dps in 8028s) [8.64%]

For reference, my Wizard does around 40k sustained DPS in the same conditions.

killperhour.png

- - - Updated - - -

I was already considering Bst or Ber... I might just do both.

I'll admit that I'm a little wary about the berserker... EXTREMELY strong DPS class right now, but ~30% of that DPS is from Dicho alone. If they nerf Dicho without other concession, they will be even with hybrids and behind wizards while being less useful to the group otherwise.

Another 4k AAs later and the Ranger is starting to creep in on my Berserker in sustained DPS.... Pretty impressive honestly!

Combined: 1700 mobs in 14304s, 3266223k @228343sdps
ShadowKnight + pets 991565k@71321sdps (71330dps in 14302s) [31.35%]
Berserker + pets 701767k@49061sdps (49064dps in 14303s) [21.48%]
Ranger + pets 662025k@46283sdps (46283dps in 14304s) [20.27%]
Beastlord + pets 586136k@40977sdps (40977dps in 14304s) [17.94%]
Bard + pets 283839k@19843sdps (19843dps in 14304s) [8.69%]

Another 4k AAs later and the Ranger is starting to creep in on my Berserker in sustained DPS.... Pretty impressive honestly!

Combined: 1700 mobs in 14304s, 3266223k @228343sdps
ShadowKnight + pets 991565k@71321sdps (71330dps in 14302s) [31.35%]
Berserker + pets 701767k@49061sdps (49064dps in 14303s) [21.48%]
Ranger + pets 662025k@46283sdps (46283dps in 14304s) [20.27%]
Beastlord + pets 586136k@40977sdps (40977dps in 14304s) [17.94%]
Bard + pets 283839k@19843sdps (19843dps in 14304s) [8.69%]

Do u melee only with ur ranger? i used to like him shooting arrows but ppl said he´s much better on melee...i like to stay behind and see arrows flying and what quiver u got?

Do u melee only with ur ranger? i used to like him shooting arrows but ppl said he´s much better on melee...i like to stay behind and see arrows flying and what quiver u got?

Rangers melee for max dps... has been this way for years now. If you're only bowing you're definitely selling yourself short.

My main group is warrior, chanter, beastlord, cleric, wizard (running Razkle's afnuke2 of course) and mage. Mana or endurance is never a problem with my setup, not even killing 200 yellow mobs an hour.

I think in your case however, removing either the beastlord or ranger (I would keep the beastlord mainly because I prefer the BST buffs over the RNG ones if I have to choose, the normal problem seems to be more a lack of mana forcing groups to pause than a lack of DPS for killing efficiently in the RG community) and put a chanter in the group would solve all your problems.

I'm looking forward to trying the following group:

SK, Shaman, Bard, Beastlord, Zerker, Ranger (In this group, the Shaman becomes the main healer, although I'd like for him to drop AA's and epic clicky and stuff periodically to help overall melee dps).

My other group would end up being:

War, Cleric, Enchanter, Wiz, Mage, Mage

The second mage in that group is FTP and stuck at lvl 100, so I might replace him with another wizzy for shits and giggles. It would also be the spot I use to swap in a PL'ee. The only question remaining would be if I should swap tanks, but I'm more confident having the SK with the shammy because the SK is way better geared than my warrior. My warrior's agro management (or lack of) would be my biggest concern.

Think I could schwack plane of war named with that setup, or do I need another cleric or two for max effect?

Question - Will Hybrid DPS still be in your groups without Dichotomic Psalm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back