• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Returning Player (1 Viewer)

RedCents
148¢
My apologies for any questions that have been asked and answered already. There is so much information on this site it can be daunting for a new person.

Originally played a Wizard and stopped playing somewhere around Prophecy of Ro. That wizard is currently Lvl. 79. Would any of his gear be relevant at all in current game? I.E. Time clicky pants? Any reason to continue with this toon? Wizzy is on a server that i may not play on now. He has maybe 100kpp, so not sure worth transferring. I have a friend I may occasionally play with on a new server. I tried starting a new wizzy with the tutorial and I am almost done but god it seem's painful for some reason. My plan is to maybe start a 6 team box. A wizard will ultimately be my end game toon and main.

I have downloaded the vanilla and read the beginner's guide's. They don't really seem to give much information for actually setting up a group. I.E. setting up follow etc. Do I use WinEQ2 or ISboxer for window control and initial group login? What addons do I need? MQ2Heals and MQ2AFNuke look promising maybe for easy automation on alts? Will they auto update abilities? Special Keybinds or socials needed in game? I am so lost and looking for a step by step of what to do.

Suggestions on group make up? Thinking Sk, Clr, Wiz, Enc, Dru, ?Bard? I will manual tank I am thinking.

do /claim and look at anything cool ya may have, what I did with my 1999-2001 accounts was buy a heroic on the server I liked and left my old toons behind... but that was like 200 toons ago

working with an old toon Vs making a new one... entirely up to you. Honestly now a days, you can hit 75ish in a day. Use the search feature here, there are plenty of guides on how to level a toon fast, instead of planning to move servers, I would go that route and save the money.

Spend it rather on a "Heroic character" if you like. Doing this makes 1 toon level 85, with full skills, a set of armor and gear, plus some bags, food/drink/potions/mercenary money.

FYI, your AA can be auto granted up to level ... I think it is 90 now. WHich means you will get all AA available at your toons level EXCEPT tradeskill ones, each time you level (if you turn autogrant on) so, unless you want to work tradeskill stuff with X toon, no need to work any AA until you are past the autogrant.
----------------------
General "you been gone" info

http://www.eqmagetower.com/wiki/ReturningtoEQFAQ

Excellent write up to peruse. Some of it may seem boring, but it is well worth the looksee.

-------------------------------

Far as group make up...I always find the appropriate answer to be "depends on what you want to do and what you like to play!"

Looks like your favorite is a wizard, so you can build on that. Enchanter is an obvious addition that can help, as is a Bard (have yet to play both at the same time so I don't know how well they mix, but I wouldn't think they interfer with each other) Then from there... you will want some sort of tank... chanter pets are beefy in their own right for now I wouldn't depend on them for a named fight. Mage pets are still pretty dependable, but I prefer a live tank. I have used Pal/War/SK and they all have their +/-....for group content though any of them works.

Healers...it again depends on who/what you like. With mercenaries in the mix, everyone can have a pocket cleric (which sucks for the clerics...) so cleric buffs are handy, though not as strong as a live one. I also find Shaman to always be an excellent addition to any group (specially if you don't have a chanter or bard for crowd control) mostly for melee, but thier buffs/DPS can add to caster groups as well. Druids are handy for a number of reasons. I currently have access to all 3, and will say if the fights are going to be tough, I would use a cleric hands down, with a back up shaman. Shaman have a new AE heal spell that heals in 3 waves to anyone around a target, and it cycles to be ready roughly when the 4th wave would hit, so with the cleric keeping the tank up and shaman tossing that AE heal then either group or spot healing the rest, make for an awesome combo.

The rest.... well...you will need something to pull with if you do not have decent crowd control. So if you picked a chanter/bard, there is your puller or CC for someone else to pull. Other classes kick ass for damage... rogue/zerker/necro/ranger/mage/BL... though Raz is having good sucess with a near all wizard group and his AF2Nuke macro melting stuff.

In the end though, you will get more enjoyment out of playing stuff that interests you. It aint hard to make a new toon now a days so, don't feel locked into anything... if X class is not what you like, pick another and spend a few days getting it caught up to the rest.

Level 95 for auto granted

Imo if you can afford The heroic do it. It just save só much time for you first char. It comes with all skills, spells decent gear 900ish hps items and u can do the quests (ez) to get the tier 5 merc and augs

It works on a leverage system, I created 1 toon on a new server, got him to 105 and in a few short months I have leverages that 1 toon into over 200 end game 105s.

6 x ftp level 1s take a long time to get to 105, 1 x 105 can bring up 5 level 1s in a matter of days!

So I ended up going SK, Clr, Brd, Enc, Wiz, Dru.
Toons are now level 60 with some AA. Debating on doing Autogrant on them. There is such a huge wealth of information on this site. I have most everything up and running, though overnight AFK has been an issue. I end up at my bind point. I need to learn more about the camp fires and auto going back and resuming. I don't think anyone is training me. For some reason my SK doesn't always auto grab mezzed targets. I have been just setting up a camp and letting the tank pull etc. Looking forward to Memorial week when I am off so I can hopefully get MQ2Nav running or maybe mess with Advpath. I am thinking about taking the SK to Heroic to try and follow Raz leveling guide for 59-75.

1. For the Evac part to save from a total wipe do I have to put what spell to use? I set that option to on but I think I need more than that. Pretty sure no evac is going off on its own. Is there a way to set it to evac at Clr death rather than MA? I have mainly been using my Dru for back up heals and DPS.
2. Should I start doing the Epic quests for my Toons?
3.I am so confused on how to properly use my Bard. I have been just doing /Twist what gems 3-9 but I have looked at some of the Bard Ini's and it appears they have separated the DPS songs in DPS section with Buffs being done by twist order? Any help on Bards would be awsome.
4. I have mainly been following the Hot Zone quest's and zones to grind away in. Just been taking my time getting used to the game again and figuring out all the cools things to do with MQ2. What are your opinions on Autogrant for AA? I am at a point where I can start getting/using AA abilities. Are these used as filler in rotations etc? Should I use it and push for max level? Any suggestions on zones to afk grind in from 60 and on that people may not go to anymore? The Hot Zones always seem to have a few people in them and I want to be polite to people questing/leveling normal path.
5. I saw Raz post on using a single Heroic toon to gear others, currently my group is in Intricate. Can I maybe skip Elaborate for my group? That would mean going from 60-70 in Rec 60 gear.
6. At what level should I buy the latest expansion? I think I am 18/22 as F2P on my accounts, with one gold.
7. If anyone is selling Krono let me know, need to get sub on 5 accounts for auto grant.

Loving this site and the community so far, something I have sorely missed about EQ and current MMO's in general.
Also looking for suggested must have Plugins not included in Vanilla but supported by Redguides plugin list.

You may watch your group pull a bit and see if your sk is bringing back multiples. I have had times where a mob just beats on the cleric and nobody really does much of anything. Possibly due to being spread out a bit.

I don't have the answer to all of those questions, but do for a few.

2. If you want to, yes. Enjoy the game how you want.

3. The bard ini allows you two seperate twists which are then controlled by MQ2Twist. One for combat, and one for out of combat. Configure those two sections in the ini then set your DPS section to whatever DPS AA's you have unlocked. Mcarpe's 105 bard ini is a great reference and easily adaptable to any level.

4. Browse this contest thread. http://www.redguides.com/community/...-AA-rares-Tell-us-your-favorite-way-to-lvl-75 There are some really great descriptions of leveling in there. Be a bit wary of DSH right now during the anniversary, someone posted about receiving a warning a few weeks ago. CONFIGURE YOUR GTFO SETTINGS IN YOUR INI. Autogrant is a matter of preference really. You'll gain AA's incredibly quickly if you set your mind to it, but it will lengthen the amount of time you spend leveling if you decide not to use it. Pushing for max level is all dependent upon what you wish to do in the game.

5. You can skip whatever amount of gear you would like, you will just be presenting a larger challenge to yourself and a slower rate of xp/plat/AA. Better gear begins to really make a difference 85+. A heroic character would also be a good benefit for power leveling your current team. Always start gearing your tank first.

6. Purely your own preference again. The new expansion has some neat content and a great way to help gear up to max, but it will require a lot of farming missions over and over and over again (or an incredible amount of plat). At level 75 does the content for TBM become available and useful to you. TDS is worth buying the expansion, but not until you're nearing 100. There are quite a few good guides here for afk grinding, farming gear, etc, in the TDS expansion.

7. Check the bazaar forum. Read the bazaar FAQ. Get Paypal verified. Make a transaction. Alternatively and far more easily.... Handle your purchases through http://www.ourplat.com/ (A redguides sponsor)

I recommend considering not auto-granting right away, or at least only auto-granting on your main triad of toons and not on others. Here's why:

You gain AA MUCH faster the fewer that you have. Right now the plugin MQ2AAspend on this site has a configuration for powerleveling that will purchase AA's that are NOT auto-granted. What that means is you can scoop up those AA's SUPER fast because you'll have a much lower AA count. After you have some of those AA's purchased you can then click the auto-grant box and get all the OTHER AA's provided to you. That will slow down your AA exp a bit, but you also now have many of the AA's you'd be working on if you had used auto-grant earlier. Does that make sense? I feel like I'm not explaining this well.

Breaking it down even more simply... the idea is don't use autogrant until you've purchased a bunch of the AA's that autogrant doesn't provide you. Then hit the button and bask in the AA's. MQ2AAspend can be set to buy those previously described AA's.

Grinding away, group is 67 now. Just buying what i think is critical for AA as I don't have a 105 to PL the others. Still figuring out the aaspend macro. Did have an issue just a minute ago when my druid died, after res was saying something about being confused over zone and campfire and wanting an adult?

Thanks Panda and Sum1 for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

So for Brad on the INi's i looked at the DPS section is AA abilities and not songs/spells? That was the main thing confusing me.

the argument of AAing up vs autogranting is almost mute now that you can autogrant up to 95 Level AAs, Seriously the time it took me to get a wiz to 8-9k AA before with a careful AAspend vs Granting was SO outweighed in Krono spent.

Here is what I mean...

Toon 1 - levels to 105, carefully spends 3-4 days getting 2k AA that are not autogranted but does very little dps AND gets a ton of agro....(agro = death so he ends up having to set AA to 90% to keep level)
Toon 2 - Levels to 105, Autogrants and starts blasting the shit outta the world, killing way faster and not getting agro and dying so overall getting max AAs in 4-5 days LESS then the old way. Autogrant has rendered Wizards Godlike!

- - - Updated - - -

Now on a class that has over 15k AA the old way is crucial, but for Wiz, Cleric, Zerker, Bard, Monk and Warrior the autogrant and go method is better IMO

- - - Updated - - -

Something stupid happens to any toon that needs 15k+ AAs, the AA gain CRAWLS to a snails pace, I mean over a month of hard AAing to get a Shaman or Ranger or SK up vs less then 2 weeks for a monk or wizard...

- - - Updated - - -

Also IF you buy a Heroic (which are on sale this weekend!) Then he gets the old level 85 AAs autogranted so it does not hurt to Autogrant them.....

Trying to weigh out if its worth it to spend the money to take the sk to Heroic. It will speed up leveling a few levels mainly I think. I am not in a huge rush. So may be better over all to buy some krono and just auto grant AA on all toon. Or Raz is it worth it on the SK because of what you said about old level 85 AA Autogrant on the SK?

SKs are a LONG haul level! they have 17,694AAs to get to max! It is brutal and long! I can make 2 warriors in the same time it takes me to make 1 sk..... But I do like the SK for group content!

I run past him on my Wiz now and glance in his general direction and he dies.... It is kinda fun when you get to 105 and revisit some of those old zones and watch them melt under your bootheal

(to be fair my wiz is 105 with a full set of TBM Raid level Deathseeker gear on so everything kinda dies)

Haha, well, I'm AA'ing/Leveling a wiz, enc, Mage, and shaman heroic toons right now ... Looks like I'm in it for the long haul! Well, at least on the Shaman. My main box team includes a SK and Ranger, too! Glutton for punishment, I guess!

I love heroic toons! they are so op for the content they fight! Take your group to Feerot or even grounds and clean house! HoT zones are your friend!

I am trying the Foundation, stuff hits really hard here.

- - - Updated - - -

My bard keeps breaking enchanters mez, says mount is doing it?

Lies all lies!

But seriously. WTF? Never heard of a mount breaking mez before. Have you tried not to be mounted, or a different mount (if you have one)?

Now, in other news, do you seriously have your bard on a mount?

Yeah lol, all these toons sitting on mounts and fighting? havent figured out how to make them summon mount then remove it to just get the buff. Bigger issue now is trying to learn how to FD pull on my sk. ill drop the mount and see what happens

His mez's are set to off, I don't think any of his songs' etc are ae?
[General]
KissAssistVer=8.5.5
Role=Assist
CampRadius=75
CampRadiusExceed=400
ReturnToCamp=0
ChaseAssist=0
ChaseDistance=25
MedOn=1
MedStart=25
MedCombat=0
LootOn=1
RezAcceptOn=1
AcceptInvitesOn=1
GroupWatchOn=1
CastingInterruptOn=0
EQBCOn=1
IRCOn=0
MiscGem=12
HoTTOn=1
CampfireOn=0
CharInfo=Bard|85
TwistOn=1
TwistMed=4
TwistWhat=4
[SpellSet]
LoadSpellSet=0
SpellSetName=KissAssist
[Buffs]
BuffsOn=1
Buffs1=Aura of the Poet|Aura
Buffs2=Heroic Dreamhunter Breastplate
Buffs3=Jungle Raptor Saddle|Mount
Buffs4=NULL
Buffs5=NULL
Buffs6=NULL
Buffs7=NULL
Buffs8=NULL
Buffs9=NULL
Buffs10=NULL
Buffs11=Selo's Sonata
Buffs12=NULL
Buffs13=NULL
Buffs14=NULL
Buffs15=NULL
Buffs16=NULL
Buffs17=NULL
Buffs18=NULL
Buffs19=NULL
Buffs20=NULL
RebuffOn=1
CheckBuffsTimer=20
PowerSource=NULL
[Melee]
AssistAt=95
MeleeOn=1
FaceMobOn=1
MeleeDistance=75
StickHow=snaproll rear
AutoFireOn=0
MeleeTwistOn=1
MeleeTwistWhat=3 5 6 7 8 4
[AE]
AEOn=0
AERadius=50
AE1=NULL
AE2=NULL
AE3=NULL
AE4=NULL
AE5=NULL
[DPS]
DPSOn=0
DPSSkip=20
DPSInterval=5
DPS1=Lyrical Prankster|96
DPS2=Boastful Bellow|94
DPS3=Selo's Kick|90
DPS4=Bladed Song|85
DPS5=NULL
DPS6=NULL
DPS7=NULL
DPS8=NULL
DPS9=NULL
DPS10=NULL
DPS11=NULL
DPS12=NULL
DPS13=NULL
DPS14=NULL
DPS15=NULL
[Aggro]
AggroOn=0
Aggro1=NULL
Aggro2=NULL
Aggro3=NULL
[Pull]
PullTwistOn=0
PullWith=Boastful Bellow
MaxRadius=350
MaxZRange=50
PullWait=5
PullRoleToggle=0
ChainPull=0
ChainPullHP=90
ChainPullPause=30|2
PullLevel=0|0
[Heals]
Help=Format Spell|% to heal at i.e. Devout Light Rk. II|50
HealsOn=0
Heals1=NULL
Heals2=NULL
Heals3=NULL
Heals4=NULL
Heals5=NULL
XTarHeal=0
HealGroupPetsOn=0
[Cures]
CuresOn=0
Cures1=NULL
Cures2=NULL
Cures3=NULL
Cures4=NULL
Cures5=NULL
[Mez]
MezOn=0
MezRadius=40
MezMinLevel=60
MezMaxLevel=98
MezStopHPs=80
MezSpell=Slumber of the Mindshear
MezAESpell=Wave of Slumber|2
[Burn]
BurnText=Decepticons Attack
BurnAllNamed=1
Burn1=Funeral Dirge
Burn2=Song of Stone
Burn3=Fundament: Second Spire of the Minstrel
Burn4=Cacophony
Burn5=Quick Time
Burn6=Fierce Eye
Burn7=NULL
Burn8=NULL
Burn9=NULL
Burn10=NULL
Burn11=NULL
Burn12=NULL
Burn13=NULL
Burn14=NULL
Burn15=NULL
UseTribute=0
[AFKTools]
AFKHelp=AFKGMAction=0 Off, 1 Pause Macro, 2 End Macro, 3 Unload MQ2, 4 Quit Game
AFKToolsOn=1
AFKGMAction=1
AFKPCRadius=150
CampOnDeath=0
ClickBacktoCamp=1
[Merc]
Help=To use: Turn off Auto Assist in Manage Mercenary Window
MercOn=0
MercAssistAt=92

- - - Updated - - -

Gem1=Selo's Song of Travel
Gem2=NULL
Gem3=Zuriki's Song of Shenanigans
Gem4=Chorus of Rodcet
Gem5=Dirge of the Fallen Rathe
Gem6=War March of Brekt
Gem7=Aria of the Poet
Gem8=Arcane Arietta
Gem9=Wave of Slumber
Gem10=Slumber of the Mindshear
Gem11=NULL
Gem12=Aura of the Poet

- - - Updated - - -

Still breaks mez even with mount off, not sure why it was calling out the mount. This has been going on for awhile with the bard, even before i took these toons heroic

Your gem 3 song (Gem3=Zuriki's Song of Shenanigans) is an AE DOT Slow = breaks mez...
Your gem 8 song (Gem8=Arcane Arietta) has AE DD component everytime it is cast = breaks mez...
And your melee twist includes both
Rich (BB code):
MeleeTwistOn=1
MeleeTwistWhat=3 5 6 7 8 4
Would recommend "Requiem of Time" (single target) or "Selo's Assonet Strain" (AE Snare Slow).
And to just add proc use "Storm Blade" (all the "Arcane" combat initiates have an AE DD component).

Yeah lol, all these toons sitting on mounts and fighting? havent figured out how to make them summon mount then remove it to just get the buff. Bigger issue now is trying to learn how to FD pull on my sk. ill drop the mount and see what happens

If you're outdoors, click on the mount to sit on it and then click on the mount to get off, you're off the mount but you still have the buffs. That works for most mounts. Only few that it may not work with are the ones that can hover... The one from the raid, that I can't remember the name of... Helping dragons in a zone off the void (my mind has gone blank --- but it's very very VERY trivial if you have some 105s and can actually request the raid --- The mount drops every time) and the flying lion mounts from the last expansion.

I just removed the mount in my macro for the bard. Group is doing good now that the mez issue is dealt with. XP seems kind of meh in feerott. Getting .30 per kill. This is with 20% to aa on all toons.

I wish my orignal hell levels could have been done semi afk. I worked my nuts off to level my sk and wizard to max.

I spend more time just watching my guys pulling and killing now than doing anything else...

I am trying the Foundation, stuff hits really hard here.

- - - Updated - - -

My bard keeps breaking enchanters mez, says mount is doing it?

Is your Bard a Vah Shir and your mount a Tiger? cause he may be interested in YOU and not really your Mezzed target... it could be jealousy...

- - - Updated - - -

If you're outdoors, click on the mount to sit on it and then click on the mount to get off, you're off the mount but you still have the buffs. That works for most mounts. Only few that it may not work with are the ones that can hover... The one from the raid, that I can't remember the name of... Helping dragons in a zone off the void (my mind has gone blank --- but it's very very VERY trivial if you have some 105s and can actually request the raid --- The mount drops every time) and the flying lion mounts from the last expansion.

Someone please name this raid, I need to run it on every toon! lol

thanks man, you're the best!

He is.

I was at work and couldn't remember the name of the raid or the mount. I bet you could make a macro for this it is so trivial. Just run to several dragons, hail them, face the directions they're facing.. kill a couple of dozen mobs (in fact the SK that was with us killed ALL the mobs {except the dragons} in the zone once for a giggle). Zone out to the normal Field of Scale zone and the chest appears there. So the looter doesn't even have to be in the zone, just the raid.

This is the raid

make sure you do the hard version ... LOL

This is the mount 'reward'

Of course as this is a raid mount its fast too.

hard raid to box raz just an fyi, the dragons will die quick if the augmented mobs target them for too long. Trying to find a way to target just the augmented mobs and not their corpses while running kiss and not aggroing the main dragons is a pain. just an fyi if you kill the augmented the wave will end asap, each wave you gain more augmented vs trash.

- - - Updated - - -

The 3m raid maldreth drops a flying mount aswell, just an fyi.

Back when you could start mob faction wars in this raid (and Rallos Returns) I solo farmed this with my bard. Its likely uber trivial now.

Question - Returning Player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back