• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Need ideas for my home servers (1 Viewer)

DriveCrash

RedCents
1,423¢
I have recently acquired by legal means, a dell poweredge t605 server. It's a bit on the aged side, but still plenty of power.

Specs:
dual quad core proc
20gb ram
Hotswap drives, power, cooling, etc etc
300gb sas 15k rpm main drives (raid 1)
2tb 10k storage drives (raid 1)
support for SAN/NAS/JBOD external storage (scsi/sas - no optical)
blah blah blah

So. I already have a 4tb file server for the house (simple NAS box I could wrap up into this server), and I'm mainly using this server as a test bed for windows server software. But when I'm not testing some program or windows configuration, what should I run this box as? Minecraft server? Remote compile server? hmmm

I would appreciate ideas for a purpose I'm overlooking, in order to justify the 40$ increase in the electric bill to my wife. :#

- - - Updated - - -

On a sort of side note, what is your favorite version of linux for server application?

I like Ubuntu for linux servers because I'm not afraid of software upgrades. Redguides is running on CentOS but that's just because I haven't moved it yet.

If you're looking into hosting a game on that beast, maybe talk to these guys:
http://www.eqemulator.org/

Patch Day Emu!

I only use gentoo, because you can build-in any compatibility you need inside the package manager. Also, you are building everything from source so you can optimize the crap out of the binaries (and the kernel for that matter), but don't expect it to use a GUI installer like ubuntu has, everything is command line.

As far as what to use it for, you could set up a nice little ARK server or something along those lines. Something that you and your friends enjoy playing. I would personally use something like that to develop on, but that's just me.

1st off tell your wife its prolly not $40 per machine, Check out this report in my case I run 16 PCs in my house and the average cost is around $6 per pc to run it all month. I use a PC to run each TV in my house, and a few servers and a webhost and a music server, and a media server and a touch screen one in the kitchen... power outtages at my house are sad

I should SO do both of those things! voice server and eqbcs server, not like I don't have the pc's for them

1st off tell your wife its prolly not $40 per machine, Check out this report in my case I run 16 PCs in my house and the average cost is around $6 per pc to run it all month. I use a PC to run each TV in my house, and a few servers and a webhost and a music server, and a media server and a touch screen one in the kitchen... power outages at my house are sad

Lol, thanks for the link, but that's where I got my estimation. It actually calculates out to 46.05$ per month. Dual 650w power supplies, running at about 50% load, with 60% efficiency. (this thing is a giant space heater if nothing else)

My desktop PC's don't pull near that kind of power due to power saving & high efficiency p/s's. All the speed stepping, adaptive 12v rails, etc add up to real cost savings.. but the server offers none of that. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Redguides emu server?

I wonder how many concurrent users this server could support. My internet pipe would probably be the hang up.. only about 7Mb/s upload speed, despite what my ISP tells me.

Because of the nature of EMU servers we can't officially have one. If we are charging for access to our server via say level 2 access then we are in theory making money off of the emulation of EQ. That has always been the big NO NO of the EQ emus and why Sony/Daybreak leaves the emu community alone.

With this kind of hardware and plenty of RAM, i would set this server with Virtualization in mind. Run Proxmox or VMWaRE and you can set many virtual nodes (Linux, Win XP with EQ in it, any other OS).

With this kind of hardware and plenty of RAM, i would set this server with Virtualization in mind. Run Proxmox or VMWaRE and you can set many virtual nodes (Linux, Win XP with EQ in it, any other OS).

I just finished installing hyper-V on server 2008 for that purpose. I have two more main drives coming in order to swap out between microshit windows server and a solid linux server OS. While I personally prefer linux hands down.. I'm trying to get familiar with windows server since most of my clients that I do moonlighting IT support for run windows. Next up I'm going to set up a media sharing system that will convert formats to whatever device connects to it. Looking at PLEX right now. I'd love any other suggestions for good media server stuff.

Tech - Need ideas for my home servers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back