• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Remote Desktop (1 Viewer)

riot

RedCents
498¢
Does anyone use a remote desktop setup with EQ? I've tried a few and can't seem to get any to work..EQ just crashes every time I attempt to load it via an RD program but it'll load just fine if I don't use it. I've tried clean boots using the patcher with no MQ or ISBoxer and it still crashes.

It has done that for years but it has to do with the DirectX and how it interacts with remote desktop. Over the years RDP and directx have got better on how it does its compression but update your directx and video drivers and try it out. Sometimes it will crash... Sometimes it wont.

Try and connect local within your network and see if you get same results. Keep in mind it does use a lot of bandwidth and your speed needs to be up pretty high on both ends. I'm on 150 down 50 up at home and at work it is 200/200. minor video lag every so often but not too terrible.

I currently use it on a PC that's in my basement which is i7 64gb of ram 4gb video card and I can run about 12 toons on it and rdp into it.

RDP just isn't built for the graphics. That said there is a variety of other options I have found.

#1 option is to use Steam Streaming Play.
#2 option is to use a VNC Server

Tradition Microsoft Remote Desktop just is horrible. That said if you want to control your players via a remote desktop type solution on a less than stellar internet connection the EQ command /viewpoint is your friend.

Using a 100x100 viewpoint you can stream EQ even with a teamviewer Remote solutions over HTTP. Using a VNC Server I was able to get almost 30 FPS at 1024 x 800 viewpoint.

TeamViewer works fine if I load up EQ first and then remote connect but I can't load it up via remote connect.

I'll give VNC a shot and see how that goes, thanks Noob.

- - - Updated - - -

It has done that for years but it has to do with the DirectX and how it interacts with remote desktop. Over the years RDP and directx have got better on how it does its compression but update your directx and video drivers and try it out. Sometimes it will crash... Sometimes it wont.

Try and connect local within your network and see if you get same results. Keep in mind it does use a lot of bandwidth and your speed needs to be up pretty high on both ends. I'm on 150 down 50 up at home and at work it is 200/200. minor video lag every so often but not too terrible.

I currently use it on a PC that's in my basement which is i7 64gb of ram 4gb video card and I can run about 12 toons on it and rdp into it.

I'm connecting local. I'll try updating everything again and see what happens, thanks Zero.

This is what I'm talking about tho. TeamViewer works perfect for RDC only if I load up EQ on the botting PC before connecting to it with my laptop via TeamViewer. If I try to load up EQ via TeamViewer it just keeps crashing. I'm not sure why EQ would crash just because I tried to load it via TeamViewer.

Untitled.jpg

I have quite a bit of experience with this as I remote into my main machine from my phone and tablet when I'm bored or if I want to play remotely. I tried TeamViewer and the rest and nothing worked great.. splashtop streamer worked pretty well though..it's far from perfect but playable and they have an option to allow you to connect from outside of your network for a fee.. give it a shot I found it to be the best of what's available.

I have quite a bit of experience with this as I remote into my main machine from my phone and tablet when I'm bored or if I want to play remotely. I tried TeamViewer and the rest and nothing worked great.. splashtop streamer worked pretty well though..it's far from perfect but playable and they have an option to allow you to connect from outside of your network for a fee.. give it a shot I found it to be the best of what's available.

That seems faster than TV but I still can't load up EQ unless I do it manually :|

Honestly the Chrome Remote Desk has worked great for me. I'm able to play from work or any PC. You can login from your phone too but its difficult to do anything other than left click.

I use splashtop. Works amazing. The only issue I've had is when I'm on my mac, the client doesn't let you move very well. On the windows client, you can basically play the game like you are on your actual computer, even off network (depending on your network connection I'd assume). I normally just swap into bootcamp when I'm on my macbook if I want to remote connect to my home computer. If I just want to check up on my stuff, then it doesn't matter as you can type, do skills, click everything...just trying to move is kind of a pain. Something about it not recognizing the keyboard is being held down? I dont know. The issue, like I said, isn't there for the windows client.

All I'm interested in is being able to load up EQ via an RDC but it doesn't work on:

Chrome
VNC
TeamViewer
Splashtop

I'm not so sure I'll be able to get it to work so this is the point where I give up. I'll use Splashtop to look at the other PC but I still have to physically go on to that PC and start everything up first.

All I'm interested in is being able to load up EQ via an RDC but it doesn't work on:

Chrome
VNC
TeamViewer
Splashtop

I'm not so sure I'll be able to get it to work so this is the point where I give up. I'll use Splashtop to look at the other PC but I still have to physically go on to that PC and start everything up first.

I'm confused on what you're trying to accomplish? I can start up everything remotely, you can even start your computer remotely with slashtop :P

Chrome
VNC
TeamViewer
Splashtop

Do you have everquest in windowed mode? It will work if its windowed but not if you dont have it windowed.

I'm confused on what you're trying to accomplish? I can start up everything remotely, you can even start your computer remotely with slashtop :P

It doesn't work for me. I used to be able to but I can't anymore and I have no idea why.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have everquest in windowed mode? It will work if its windowed but not if you dont have it windowed.

I've tried windowed mode, nonwindowed mode, ISBoxer, WinEQ, Patcher/No Patcher, MQ2/No MQ2.

If I use just the normal patcher, the window opens up and then crashes. If I use ISBoxer/WinEQ the window opens up then just disappears.

try Screen connect its a stable program used a lot at work .

- - - Updated - - -

And make sure you have permissions on the user that your trying on as well . 10 has a beefed up security from what I heard so you need to make sure that you are giving yourself access for that program

Well I got EQ to load.

I can't send mouse clicks but the keyboard works just fine. Shit is weird.

Question - Remote Desktop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back