• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Gaming labtop (1 Viewer)

gaming laptop is an oxymoron but I run an Asus ROG G750JX--DB71 (i7 4700HQ, 16GB, GeForce GTX770). I can run 15 clients full graphics on it (thermal shutdown at 17 clients though).

Mine is about 2 years old so did cost a small fortune back then

It's heavy as fuck, but my hp envy 17t with 16gb ram and Nvidia graphics can run 6 instances of eq no problem

This is less of a recommendation and more a "it would work". I really need to put an ssd in it and I would pretty happy with it whenever I'm not carrying it.

I got the MSI gt72 dominator pro with the 6 gig graphics card, 12 gigs of ram for 1500 on newegg, everywhere else was 1800, weighs like 6 lbs or so, its a beast and I love it.

Really depends on how many instances you really want to run. Most laptops that have a OK video card and 16GB of ram can run about 5-8 instances conferrable. If you want more instances I would recommend getting a desktop. Some people rather are home majority of the time or if they go out on vacation they really don't need to drag the game with them.

Have to remember the game doesn't rely on graphics as much so if your plan on many instances then your better off getting something that has a lot of ram with it. 32 or 64GB of ram you would be able to run 20-30 instances easy.

Really depends on how many instances you really want to run. Most laptops that have a OK video card and 16GB of ram can run about 5-8 instances conferrable. If you want more instances I would recommend getting a desktop. Some people rather are home majority of the time or if they go out on vacation they really don't need to drag the game with them.

Have to remember the game doesn't rely on graphics as much so if your plan on many instances then your better off getting something that has a lot of ram with it. 32 or 64GB of ram you would be able to run 20-30 instances easy.

you can also go turn off every single thing and literally run each instance of EQ under 500 megs a session..

I went with http://www.amazon.com/G751JL-Laptop...441011,p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2289792011 . Seriously considered the MSI equivalent as well as an MSI with a better CPU, both for slightly less $$, but was pretty sure the specs on this or even lower specs would be more than I needed. My desktop that I was running 5 accounts on and driving two monitors easily handled the 5 accounts using isboxer and that desktop is 5 or 7 years old, with a weak midrange graphics card, although I did bump it to 12gb of ram. Think the cpu was a i7 core2duo 2.6ghz. I don't play any game except EQ and maybe EQ next if that ever happens.

What was important to me was not just that it plays all 6 accounts fluidly and at a good setting, but that it stays cool and makes little to no noise. Reading the reviews, the Asus Rog is about as good as it gets for cooling and low noise for what I was willing to spend. Still loading everything up, but was running all my 6 accounts on follow through PoK and everything was silky smooth. My warrior is max for graphics and even still had all the particle effects going. The other 5 accounts were a bit dialed back, but still nice looking. I also ran them all around following my warrior in the guild lobby with 90 players standing around at the usual place. No lag on anything and just as important to me, even after doing 20+ laps around the lobby, the laptop didn't heat up much (I'd say just "warm" if that) and was dead quite.

I did add on 16gb more ram myself for $90 to bring it to 32gb as well as swap in my 1tb ssd. I'm also running isboxer with 1 big screen on top and 5 tiny screens on bottem.

I run 2 or 3 on a Lenovo Thinkpad W500 and would love to upgrade to a w530 (I hate having a numpad on my laptop keyboard so I can't go any newer) and 2 with minimal settings on a Thinkpad T43 which works but isn't ideal.

I can't decide if I want to build up a desktop to play on and ditch the laptops or just upgrade the laptops to a W530 and X230T (or perhaps MS Surface / etc)

Question - Gaming labtop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back