• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - Uh oh... (1 Viewer)

BusyBard

RedCents
92¢
Posted today over at: http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/30/e...the-everquest-franchises-progression-servers/

An excerpt:

Population issues weren’t the only ones that tarnished EQ’s progression server. One of the most-complained-about problems is the third-party boxing that is seeing a single players taking bot parties to blast through content. Longdale assures that they are aware of the issue, and they don’t want that ruining the experience even if it does provide them with subs. So how do you battle that? She explained that you can’t lock it to one account per IP because that would ruin it for families who are trying to play together.

Instead, she mentioned that he team is looked at locking logins to one account per computer. That way families could still game from the same house and players can still dual- or triple-box if they desperately want to. The difference is that they will have to physically run the extra accounts on different computers instead of using a third-party program. Longdale also noted that the team is going after players who are warping to boss mobs, but she can’t really discuss the how because her team needs to catch them in the act.

It's not necessarily MQ2, I think it's ISBoxer which is the main culprit. Either way, is this something we can "beat?"

Okay. Well, that's fine then I guess. I guess I'm just wondering if we'll be able to work around it, or what some of the options they might use are?

VMs really suck though. I tried VMs about 10 years ago and back then there was no gfx acceleration so stuff ran like crap. Not sure how much it improved. Also VMs are something SOE/DBG said specifically was insta-ban (not sure why to be honest...can't be worse than anything else out there). And out of the many boxers I've seen, William is close to accurate....I've seen maybe 5 out of 100 boxers use ISBoxer vs. MQ. They all claim ISBoxer but you can tell between the two.

I've watched several people playing EQ on twitch and they are using isboxer. I play 3 toons on separated computers so this doesn't bother me much.

They are just appeasing the masses guys. No way they would do that. It would be a massive, massive catastrophe.

Think about how often even non-boxers log in friends to bring them to raids and whatnot. It's just NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Just saw the following note from Windstalker on the EQ boards
https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/holly-interview-on-massivelyop.224444/

"Context is everything. What I said was that given the negative reaction to 6-boxers (botters are obviously bad), we were curious if the community would be interested in a new server that would have "No Boxing" rules and be limited to one client per hardware box. So any boxing on those servers would be more akin to old-school "keyboards in the lap" style.

We won't be changing code or doing anything to affect the servers that are now live given we didn't state those rules at the outset. I hope that helps allay concerns.
"

VMs really suck though. I tried VMs about 10 years ago and back then there was no gfx acceleration so stuff ran like crap. Not sure how much it improved. Also VMs are something SOE/DBG said specifically was insta-ban (not sure why to be honest...can't be worse than anything else out there). And out of the many boxers I've seen, William is close to accurate....I've seen maybe 5 out of 100 boxers use ISBoxer vs. MQ. They all claim ISBoxer but you can tell between the two.

LOL 10 years ago, a lot has changed.

I'm not too negatively affected by this because I have several pcs and can just use eqbc. If anything this just gives MQ2 users an edge over ISBoxer users.

What are the actual chances to be caught when you don't AFK Bot, as a regular box player who doesn't steal camps and is friendly like you know any normal person on the server, drop boxes for actual people while not using any of the active hacks like warping, i dont understand why you would even wan't to use that.

Because sometimes i see posts like "Banned for no reason".... but are they genuinly been banned for no reason ?

My 4 Box setup is Paladin, Enchanter, Mage and Druid so its well rounded, vs 5 Mages and a Healer.

well if they implement this I can see a ton of people including myself just quitting. I stick to the areas no one is in, and I have 4 accounts running, monk shaman mage and enchanter. I would hate to go down to just 1 character as that will limit what I can accomplish by myself, and I HATE looking for groups as I am in the teens on my characters and those levels suck to find groups at the timeframes i play.

I play don't AFK box for one, I also don't run a mage group , I do the holy trinity War, Cleric, Chanter and I did throw in a Mage for dps.
I only see an isssue with the 5 mage 1 druid groups coming in and stealing camps and named Mobs, that is what is causing the real issues.

Daybreak has stated they are not going to make the 1 account change to existing servers, but with that said don't be one of those assholes out there running through other Folks camps stealing their mobs.

I think basically if you aren't an asshole you won't get banned. You can even AFK as long as you use the proper tools to evac or disconnect. DBG isn't going to simply cut their profits without direct complaints.

A no box server would be awesome I'm for this all the way and I would even consider adding some code to prevent mq2 from working on it if they decided to go that route...

BUT I would also want them to open a boxers paradise server at the same time.

Only reason I would want this is to shut up the boxing sucks crowd, cause I'm 100% sure The no boxes allowed server would be an empty wasteland compared to the boxing allowed server...

mule I've always thought they should open a botting allowed server. It's obviously a very active community and it would be interesting to see what people would manage to pull off without the fear of the ban hammer. Still no active hacks of course :).

It will never happen, never ever.
It's to easy to bypass also with VM's.

And if they say they would ban you if you use an VM: I dont know why they would, and i am not even sure if they can detect that EQ is running in an VM.

A few years ago they banned a ton of players for using VMs, because it detected as illegal 3rd party software -- they restored the accounts, but it's detectable somehow.

On the other side, what if I only have a Mac and am running Win through a VM to play EQ?

News - Uh oh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back