• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - I'm going to try to learn C++ (1 Viewer)

RedCents
374¢
I'm going to try to learn C++ programming on my own. I bought Jumping Into C++ by Alex Allain. Is there anything I need to watch out for? I would really like to be able to contribute to the community much more.

Watch out for the +'s, they'll really get you...

On a serious note, the best thing you can do (IMO) is to learn some basics, but don't stress if you don't understand everything right away. Then jump into a project of some sort and use references to do things until you feel comfortable coding. It can take literally decades to become familiar enough with a language to not need some type of reference to go back to, so if you keep needing to look things up, don't worry -- most coders still have to look things up.

If you've never programmed before I would recommend learning with something like Visual Basic or Processing (java based). The feedback received is much more visual. Also... please please please don't get the mentality that you have learned everything once you start developing good programs. I've seen many good programmers who think they're Karana's gift to Norrath and looking back I can say that I still have a job--they don't. :)

My plan is to learn enough to be able to write macros and plugins so I can make a contribution here. I've learned a lot over the past few months, but want to put it in to some kind of structure.

My plan is to learn enough to be able to write macros and plugins so I can make a contribution here. I've learned a lot over the past few months, but want to put it in to some kind of structure.

Macro's aren't in c++; they are in their own language developed by the MQ2 devs. It's a lot easier to understand than c++ for a beginner, but the two languages are nothing alike. I would suggest that you learn macros before trying to write a plugin. It's the natural progression.

I'm not sure if you need to understand C++ to write macros... of course I haven't been writing very many (just got into it myself) but it seems like all you need is a good understanding of the Top Level Object in Macroquest, Functions, Top-down logic, order of operations, and how to look up the correct syntax. I've noticed a LOT of the macros use /goto religiously and that makes them more difficult to read. (Look up "spaghetti code" and you'll see why.) I think the best way to learn to write macros would be to write some macros and ask for feedback when something isn't working.

So my best resource would be the Wiki at the main MQ2 website, if I understand correctly? Looks like I'll be doing a lot more reading over there, lol.

So my best resource would be the Wiki at the main MQ2 website, if I understand correctly? Looks like I'll be doing a lot more reading over there, lol.

Yeah I use:

http://www.macroquest2.com/wiki/index.php/Macro_Reference

For everything. Right now I'm working on a Macro to single pull mobs as a ranger and then another one to cycle through targets and keep them all rooted, snared, and away from me (for headshot). I've been insanely busy with real work though, so I haven't made much progress because I haven't been online much.

Discussion - I'm going to try to learn C++

Users who are viewing this thread

Back