• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Account security (1 Viewer)

W

Wolfborn

Bought an account from someone last year.
Today I received a notice about a password reset request.

Any ideas on securing the account so that no one can "re-claim" it?
Maybe move to another account?

I saw a post long ago about how to move an account even if you were not the original owner.

Any ideas?

ok I assume you have 1 toon on this account you want as you will be paying $25 to SOE for EACH toon you move!
That being said, its SO easy to move, CREATE a new blank account with the EXACT same name (First and last) as the one you bought, this is CRUCIAL!
Put in a ticket to SOE that you want to move toon from one account to the new one, include how you wish to pay for the transfer in the request, ie please take 2500 sc from my account named blabla when you transfer the toon.
SOE may or may not send you a confirmation email which is them basically making sure you are the person who is requesting the move.
I have purchased accounts in the past and the 1st thing I ALWAYS do is make a dummy account with the original name and move what I paid for! It is SO worth the money!

Great idea except that I already I changed the name on the account and don't remember the original name....
I'll try it anyway.
Thanks!

Well, did you change the e-mail associated with the account to your own e-mail? If the account is not very valuable then that is the first line of defense and should suffice. Then it requires some social engineering from the original owner to claim the account back(can still be done but hard).

If the character is quite valuable, then do as pepekeao said and move it to your own account.

Frankly, I am shocked that someone is still bothering with "hacking" EQ accounts.

Yes, changed email and name right away, also added my credit card to the account and set up on All Access yearly.
Bought as a lvl 92 wizzy, now lvl 100 with max AA and maxed 7 tradeskills so I've put some time into him.
He's my main DPS, would hate to lose him.

Account recovery has changed in the last year. In fact its weird now. To recover an account you need the most RECENT CC info not the oldest. I.E If your CC is on the account and you paid for a sub with it he will have a VERY hard time recovering it. Example.

A year ago I transferred a toon off a friends account he gave me the info to do it. I made a bst on that same account and tried to move him and SOE said no using the same info why ? Because now they wanted the last CC used for a subscription on the account instead of the CC that has been on the account for 14 years.

Yea, part of what they do is dumb. They know account selling is still happening, but I think they're turning a blind eye to it and even helping so they can keep the small subscriber base that they have.

It seems to me they are acknowledging in a way that people sell accounts, and are approving of it with their new policy. Make sure the account is in your name, and your email with your CC and they won't be able to get it back. I let a friend use one of my accounts years ago. He sold it apparently. I asked to get it back and they said "I need the current name and CC info." I said the current name should be mine, it's my account. They said it wasn't and that was that. Not mine anymore.

There is a cheaper way to ensure it can not be reclaimed by the original seller. Simply pay for one month of all access using your credit card or a pre-paid debit card. Once you have done this the other person can not reclaim the account because they will not know the credit card number used last on the account. Simple as pie. Also costs way less than the $25 for a toon transfer.

There is a cheaper way to ensure it can not be reclaimed by the original seller. Simply pay for one month of all access using your credit card or a pre-paid debit card. Once you have done this the other person can not reclaim the account because they will not know the credit card number used last on the account. Simple as pie. Also costs way less than the $25 for a toon transfer.

This account has been on my credit card from day one and is All Access on a yearly sub.
I'll hold off on trying to transfer to another account and see what happens.
Thanks for all the feedback and knowledge.

Question - Account security

Users who are viewing this thread

Back