Build your own Everquest PC

Thread: How to trade safely: Bazaar FAQ, Rules, Scams, etc.

1. Top | #1
    RedCents
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

How to trade safely: Bazaar FAQ, Rules, Scams, etc.

The Bazaar

RULES

• Your Redguides account will be banned if you don't follow the rules. This is your warning, "I didn't know the rules" is no longer an excuse. You can read the rules here.

Safety Guide

Safety from scammers

• Upgrade your account - Others are more likely to trust you, as well as let you deal second. Most scammers never upgrade.

• Research - Google and facebook their username, email, character, phone, or whatever other info they share.
    • Contact over RedGuides - This helps stop imposters who will use skype, email, and other methods to act like one of the members here. Always verify when someone claims to be a popular Redguides user.
    • Check for stolen Paypal accounts - Send an email to their paypal address and ask them to reply. Many scammers use stolen Paypal accounts, and don't actually have access to the email.
    • Use a middleman - Find someone with a high feedback rating or identity verification that you both trust to handle the deal.
    • Read and rate - Read their feedback, and look who left them feedback (and their join dates.) After every trade, successful or not, please click Rate Transaction.
    • Small increments - Rather than one big $300 trade, conduct a series of 10 small $30 trades.
    • Beware of those who need to "sell fast" at low prices - Scammers who "need to sell this fast" are eager for you to act quickly without thinking.
    • Record your transaction - Screenshot private messages, screenshot in-game trades and emails, and forward to a moderator here if there's a dispute.

Safety from GMs (mostly for Project 1999, but good advice for sellers on Daybreak servers)

• Use a VPN - The first rule of GM safety is to keep any information linking your RMT mules and main accounts to a minimum. Your IP is something that should never be linked. We recommend a VPN from PrivateInternetAccess or PureVPN, both are popular among legit EQ players.
    • Don't list all items - If you're selling an account, don't post too much identifying information about the character, especially if they have unique items.
    • Cover your tracks - Delete your thread when the sale is complete to cover up any tracks you may have left. All users can delete their own posts and threads. Don't post that "100k plat sold" as P99 GM's will search their logs for any 100k plat transfers that day.
    • Don't publicly post your email - Don't publicly post any unique information (skype, facebook, etc.) that could be linked to your game account, especially your username and email.
    • Big sellers pose a risk (P99 only) - On P99, we've noticed that when a large seller is busted by P99 GMs, many of their buyers are banned as well. Take extra precaution when purchasing from a large-scale dealer.
    • Project1999 can scan window titles - P99 maintains they don't monitor your browsing habits or any programs that don't touch EQ's memory, but just to be safe, close P99 before browsing Redguides.
    • Read the RMT ABC's for P99 - Read the entire thread before doing any RMT on P99.
    • Be careful with Skype - It's trivial to get someone's IP from their skype username.
    • Be careful when selling on Playerauctions (daybreak servers only) - Some sellers report being banned when selling Krono on Playerauctions. Use extra caution.

CAVEAT EMPTOR
    Please use common sense when exchanging goods and money. There is unavoidable risk in every transaction, and there is no way to 100% stop a scammer. To reduce risk, check feedback scores (and who exactly left feedback), look at their post history, look at join dates, use a credit card, and do your homework.

After every deal, click "Rate Transaction" to help others.

Verification
    Some users have had their identity verified by staff, and will display this emblem:

This means the user has verified their:

1) Phone
    2) Social Media
    3) Photo Identification
    4) Paypal

as valid and unique on this site, plus we verify in other ways we don't list here. This greatly reduces risk when conducting business with this member. If you're interested in becoming verified, check out the details here. RedGuides neither guarantees nor endorses verified member's services and identity.

A TINY RED FAQ

Which sellers can I trust?
    The guys at the top of this list are pretty good.

How do I leave feedback?
    Below every post here, you will find this:
    Rate Transaction
    I don't care if you're a buyer or a seller, click that every time you complete a deal. This helps keep our community free of scammers.
    Sellers: if the buyer didn't reply to your thread, you can still leave feedback by going to his member page, clicking on "feedback score" and clicking "submit feedback".

Will you please delete my post/thread
    You can do this yourself. To delete a thread, at the top of the thread click "Administrative" and then "Delete thread". To delete a post, edit the post and click "delete".

How do I sticky my thread? How do I make the title blue?
    You can buy these features with RedCents in our shop. (click the Bazaar tab.)

To sticky a thread, you'll need the thread ID. To find the ID, simply look for the numbers in the URL of your thread: http://www.redguides.com/forums/showthread.php/46638-WTB-Mask-of-the-Dragon-Slayer.

How do I get verified?

You exchange your privacy as well as $10 here:
    https://www.redguides.com/amember/signup/bazaar

How do I get RedCents?
    You can buy them or earn them. Read the real FAQ.

How do I change my avatar?
    Just go here

Can I sell ___?
    So long as it's not illegal, not directly competing with RedGuides, and is at least tangentially related to gaming.

Do I have to trade in $, or can I ask for plat/gold/bitcoins?
    You can ask for wampum for all we care. Actually we prefer wampum.

Can I link my email/website/cat's facebook page?
    You can contact buyers/sellers however you wish.

I've been scammed! What do I do?
    Post a thread with the "scam" prefix, detailing any publicly-provided information about the scammer in order to help others. Please censor private information. Example:

This guy scammed me. Here's how he did it: he said he'd send money western union but instead sent cheese. Please be wary about the following individual:
    username: RedBottom
    email: redbutt@redguides.com
    phone: xxx-xxx-3423

Also, please forward any details & emails relating to the scam to Redbot or the Contact page.

This offer looks suspicious!
    Report it by clicking the report button, and one of our moderators will review it.

Last edited by Redbot; 10-18-2016 at 04:50 PM.

2. Top | #2
    RedCents
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Re: Read me first. Bazaar FAQ, Rules, Scams, etc.

(These rules are forum-specific. However, you should familiarize yourself with our site-wide forum rules in our FAQ.)

You already agreed to these upon signing up, but if you'd like to read a slightly older version of that agreement, here it is:

Rules & User Agreement

User Agreement
    By posting or dealing in the buy/sell/trade section (bazaar) of RedGuides.com you agree to the following rules & regulations.

General Rules
    While using RedGuides.com's buy/sell/trade forums you will never:

• Share accounts.
    • Create a second account without permission. (if you want to change your name, use the redcent shop).
    • Post content or items in an inappropriate category or areas on RedGuides.com.
    • Violate any laws or third party rights unbeknownst to the buyer.
    • Use RedGuides.com if you are not able to form legally binding contracts, are under the age of 18, or are temporarily or indefinitely suspended from RedGuides.com.
    • Fail to deliver payment for items purchased by you, unless the seller has materially changed the item's description after you bid, a clear typographical error is made.
    • Fail to deliver items purchased from you, unless the buyer fails to meet the posted term.
    • Manipulate the price of any item or interfere with other user's listings.
    • Post false, inaccurate, misleading, defamatory, or libelous content (including personal information).
    • Take any action that may undermine the feedback or ratings systems (such as displaying, importing or exporting feedback information off of RedGuides.com or for using it for purposes unrelated to RedGuides.com)
    • Distribute viruses or any other technologies that may harm RedGuides.com, or the interests or property of RedGuides.com users.
    • Copy, modify, or distribute content from RedGuides.com and RedGuides.com's copyrights and trademarks or harvest or otherwise collect information about users, including email addresses, without their consent.
    • Create unnecessary drama in a thread. (Level 2 users may access fippy's dark secret for drama posts)
    • Reveal the name of anyone's character, unless a mod approves.
    • Bump recurring threads more than once every day.
    • Post similar threads more than once a week.
    • Irrationally accuse someone of scamming.
    • Have more than three (3) "self-bumped" threads on the first page at any time.

Identity Rules
    To use the sell/buy/trade section on this site you have to meet the following requirements:

• Be at least 18 years old.
    • Cannot misrepresent your identities.
    • Must always provide valid and complete contact information and must always have a valid email address.
    • Cannot publish the contact information of other members in an online public area.

Liability

You will not hold RedGuides.com responsible for other users' actions or inactions, including things they post. You acknowledge that we are not a traditional auctioneer. Instead, RedGuides.com is a venue to allow anyone to offer, sell, and buy just about anything, at anytime, from anywhere. We are not involved in the actual transaction between buyers and sellers. We have no control over and do not guarantee the quality, safety or legality of items advertised, the truth or accuracy of listings, the ability of sellers to sell items, the ability of buyers to pay for items, or that a buyer or seller will actually complete a transaction.

We do not transfer legal ownership of items from the seller to the buyer, and nothing in this agreement shall modify the governing provisions of California Commercial Code 2401(2) and Uniform Commercial Code 2-401(2), under which legal ownership of an item is transferred upon physical delivery of the item to the buyer by the seller. Unless the buyer and the seller agree otherwise, the buyer will become the item's lawful owner upon physical receipt of the item from the seller, in accordance with California Commercial Code 2401(2) and Uniform Commercial Code 2-401(2). Further, we cannot guarantee continuous or secure access to our services, and operation of RedGuides.com may be interfered with by numerous factors outside of our control. Accordingly, to the extent legally permitted, we exclude all implied warranties, terms and conditions. We are not liable for any loss of money, goodwill, or reputation, or any special, indirect, or consequential damages arising out of your use of redguides.com. Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of warranties or exclusion of damages, so such disclaimers and exclusions may not apply to you.

Release

If you have a dispute with one or more users, you release us (and our staff, account testers, moderators and any other that are dirrectly affiliated with RedGuides.com) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes.

Indemnity

You will indemnify and hold us (and our staff, account testers, moderators and any other that are dirrectly affiliated with RedGuides.com), harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your breach of this Agreement, or your violation of any law or the rights of a third party.

In order to buy/sell/trade on RedGuides.com's Virtual Marketplace, you must post stating that you both understand and accept the Terms of Agreement.

---------------
    Last edited by Redbot; 10-18-2016 at 06:38 PM.