- Your Redguides account will be banned if you don't follow the rules. This is your warning, "I didn't know the rules" is no longer an excuse. You can read the rules here.
Safety from scammers
- Upgrade your account - Others are more likely to trust you, as well as let you deal second. Most scammers never upgrade.
- Research - Google and facebook their username, email, character, phone, or whatever other info they share.
- Contact over RedGuides - This helps stop imposters who will use skype, email, and other methods to act like one of the members here. Always verify when someone claims to be a popular Redguides user.
- Check for stolen Paypal accounts - Send an email to their paypal address and ask them to reply. Many scammers use stolen Paypal accounts, and don't actually have access to the email.
- Use a middleman - Find someone with a high feedback rating or identity verification that you both trust to handle the deal.
- Read and rate - Read their feedback, and look who left them feedback (and their join dates.) After every trade, successful or not, please click Rate Transaction.
- Small increments - Rather than one big $300 trade, conduct a series of 10 small $30 trades.
- Beware of those who need to "sell fast" at low prices - Scammers who "need to sell this fast" are eager for you to act quickly without thinking.
- Record your transaction - Screenshot private messages, screenshot in-game trades and emails, and forward to a moderator here if there's a dispute.
Safety from GMs (mostly for Project 1999, but good advice for sellers on Daybreak servers)
- Use a VPN - The first rule of GM safety is to keep any information linking your RMT mules and main accounts to a minimum. Your IP is something that should never be linked. We recommend a VPN from PrivateInternetAccess or PureVPN, both are popular among legit EQ players.
- Don't list all items - If you're selling an account, don't post too much identifying information about the character, especially if they have unique items.
- Cover your tracks - Delete your thread when the sale is complete to cover up any tracks you may have left. All users can delete their own posts and threads. Don't post that "100k plat sold" as P99 GM's will search their logs for any 100k plat transfers that day.
- Don't publicly post your email - Don't publicly post any unique information (skype, facebook, etc.) that could be linked to your game account, especially your username and email.
- Big sellers pose a risk (P99 only) - On P99, we've noticed that when a large seller is busted by P99 GMs, many of their buyers are banned as well. Take extra precaution when purchasing from a large-scale dealer.
- Project1999 can scan window titles - P99 maintains they don't monitor your browsing habits or any programs that don't touch EQ's memory, but just to be safe, close P99 before browsing Redguides.
- Read the RMT ABC's for P99 - Read the entire thread before doing any RMT on P99.
- Be careful with Skype - It's trivial to get someone's IP from their skype username.
- Be careful when selling on Playerauctions (daybreak servers only) - Some sellers report being banned when selling Krono on Playerauctions. Use extra caution.
Please use common sense when exchanging goods and money. There is unavoidable risk in every transaction, and there is no way to 100% stop a scammer. To reduce risk, check feedback scores (and who exactly left feedback), look at their post history, look at join dates, use a credit card, and do your homework.
After every deal, click "Rate Transaction" to help others.
Some users have had their identity verified by staff, and will display this emblem:
This means the user has verified their:
2) Social Media
3) Photo Identification
as valid and unique on this site, plus we verify in other ways we don't list here. This greatly reduces risk when conducting business with this member. If you're interested in becoming verified, check out the details here. RedGuides neither guarantees nor endorses verified member's services and identity.
A TINY RED FAQ
Which sellers can I trust?
The guys at the top of this list are pretty good.
How do I leave feedback?
Below every post here, you will find this:
I don't care if you're a buyer or a seller, click that every time you complete a deal. This helps keep our community free of scammers.
Sellers: if the buyer didn't reply to your thread, you can still leave feedback by going to his member page, clicking on "feedback score" and clicking "submit feedback".
Will you please delete my post/thread
You can do this yourself. To delete a thread, at the top of the thread click "Administrative" and then "Delete thread". To delete a post, edit the post and click "delete".
How do I sticky my thread? How do I make the title blue?
You can buy these features with RedCents in our shop. (click the Bazaar tab.)
To sticky a thread, you'll need the thread ID. To find the ID, simply look for the numbers in the URL of your thread: http://www.redguides.com/forums/showthread.php/46638-WTB-Mask-of-the-Dragon-Slayer.
How do I get verified?
You exchange your privacy as well as $10 here:
How do I get RedCents?
You can buy them or earn them. Read the real FAQ.
How do I change my avatar?
Just go here
Can I sell ___?
So long as it's not illegal, not directly competing with RedGuides, and is at least tangentially related to gaming.
Do I have to trade in $, or can I ask for plat/gold/bitcoins?
You can ask for wampum for all we care. Actually we prefer wampum.
Can I link my email/website/cat's facebook page?
You can contact buyers/sellers however you wish.
I've been scammed! What do I do?
Post a thread with the "scam" prefix, detailing any publicly-provided information about the scammer in order to help others. Please censor private information. Example:
This guy scammed me. Here's how he did it: he said he'd send money western union but instead sent cheese. Please be wary about the following individual:
real name: Lxxxxx Axxxxxx
Also, please forward any details & emails relating to the scam to Redbot or the Contact page.
This offer looks suspicious!
Report it by clicking the report button, and one of our moderators will review it.